"Hot cross buns,Hot cross buns!
One a penny,Two a penny,Hot cross buns!!"
This nursery rhyme stayed with the foodie in me ever since childhood.
It is a folk song as well as an old English recipe,which is associated with the end of Lent period.They are eaten on Good Friday, and are a crowd favorite each Easter.
Most bakeries and chocolate companies start selling them even a month before Easter.
However I feel its always special to make your own buns,instead of getting it from the market.Trust me there is nothing better than making your own recipe!
Your house feels heavenly with the warm bread smell with a hint of spice and sugar.It acutally makes you feel good, cozy, warm, fuzzy, happy and of course,HUNGRY!
What makes this recipe special?
- This recipe is egg-less.Hence vegetarians can enjoy these too.
- Also we use wholemeal flour along with plain flour or maida. This makes it healthier yet full of flavor.
- You can adjust the sugar according to your taste.
- Also,you can use any alternative like stevia etc asper your taste.
- We also use flax seeds, which compensates for the fiber missing due to use of plain flour and further adds Omega 3 fats.
Step by step instructions with pictures for Hot cross Buns
Scroll below to the read the recipe of these buns
Click here for more appetizer recipes.
Finally, click here for more recipe videos.