Homemade buns are the perfect fix for morning breakfast. Bake them over the weekend and enjoy it over the week. It is healthier to commercial made ones. You can also use the same dough for pizza base or just make buns from left over pizza base. Bread buns make breakfast so easy. Soft dinner rolls taste great with soup. Have it with with some butter or with some curry/pav bhaji or make a kutchi dabheli.
I love buttered buns with some strawberry preserve or spicy marmalade. Just like Paddington.
You can also add some spices and herbs to give it an amazing flavor as per your choice.
If you like your traditional Bombay twist, enjoy the pav recipe with some fried bonda in between as vada pav. Perfect for a train journey or a picnic.
Homemade buns are easy to make. These homemade rolls are fluffy soft bread and once you make your own you will fall in love with it again & again. You can make your variations of dinner buns by adding some sesame seeds, or chia seeds. You can also experiment with flours. There is no smell better than freshly baked bread.
Enjoy it as bun maska, pav bhaji, misal and as pav, usal the Marathi way. Enjoy it as pav gathia if u like the Gujarati twist. Homemade pav recipe increases your love of these appetizers. Alternatively, you can enjoy these with classic blueberry or strawberry jam/orange marmalade. Just enjoy with a good tall glass of 'masala chai' / tea.
How to increase fiber in your homemade buns or bread ?
There are a number of ways that can help increase the fiber content in buns or bread.
1.Use fiber rich flour such as whole-wheat flour/atta. In this case you may need to increase the quantity of yeast by 20% and use a bit more water/oil as this flour is a bit heaver than plain flour.
2. Add additional additives such as flax seed meal . 1 cup of plain flour contains around 3.4 gms of fiber compared to 11 gms in 1 cup of whole meal flour. 1 tablespoon of flax seeds contains around 2 gms of fiber. So an addition of 3 tablespoon of flax seeds to plain flour can help you get similar fiber content as whole meal flour.
3.Use a combination of above 2 as done in the below recipe.
How to get golden brown buns ? how to make a pav? Perfect tip.
One thing I have noted in most bakery is that they use an egg wash to get that shiny top for buns, croissant or bread. However to get similar results without the use of egg, you may mix 1 tablespoon melted butter with 1 tablespoon warm milk and use this mix to brush the buns when they are ready and keep them in the hot oven for 2 minutes or more.
how to make pav at home?
1.Activate the yeast with warm water and sugar
2.Add flax seed meal to warm water.
3.Knead the dough
4.Allow it to rise, punch down after 30 minutes.
5. Make round balls of same size, set it in a baking tray to rise
6. Once risen(after 30 minutes), bake in over at 180C(fan forced)
Read the the recipe of Homemade buns below:
- 5 cups flour 2.5 cup plain flour and 2.5 cup wholewheat flour
- ¼ cup flax seeds with 250 ml/1cup warm water
- 5 teaspoon yeast in 1 cup water +1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup oil
- ¾ cup water to knead the dough
- 2.5 teaspoon salt
- Mix the flax seed meal with 1 cup water and keep it aside.
- Add sugar to lukewarm water, mix until it dissolves. Add yeast to sugar water, so that it activates. This will make the mix frothy and activate in 15 minutes.
- Add this yeast and flax seed mix to the flour with salt.
- Start mixing the dough while adding the remaining water.The dough needs to be a little wet and sticky, this will help the buns to rise and come out with a soft texture.
- Knead the dough, this will be sticky at the start, Add oil to remaining ingredients. Keep it aside for 30 minutes to rise.
- Once it has doubled, punch it down and knead it again.
- Divide the flour in 9/16 equal portions, give them a round shape using oiled hands,and arrange them in an oiled baking tray with some space in between the buns.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes. You will see the dough rise and sides might touch each other.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees(fan forced) for 10 minutes.
- Bake the buns for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees. Check the readiness, by knocking on the top of the buns, if they sound hollow then they are ready.
- Take out the tray and brush the buns with butter/oil.
- Let is rest for an hour so that it cools down.
- Serve fresh with butter /fruit preserve/jam.
Make these different bread recipes to bake on the weekend.
Click here for more bread recipes.
Finally click here watching for more recipe videos.