Homemade buns are the perfect fix for morning breakfast.Bake them over the weekend and enjoy it over the week.It is healthier to commercial made ones.You can also use the same dough for pizza base or just make buns from left over pizza base.
Bread buns make breakfast so easy.Soft dinner rolls taste great with soup.
Have it with with some butter or with some curry/pav bhaji or make a kutchi dabheli.
I love buttered buns with some strawberry preserve or spicy marmalade.You can also add some spices and herbs to give it an amazing flavor as per your choice.
If you like your traditional Bombay twist,enjoy the buns with some fried bonda in between as Vada Pav.Perfect for a train journey or a picnic.
Homemade buns are easy to make.Homemade rolls are fluffly soft bread and once you make your own you will fall in love with it again & again.You can make your variations of dinner buns by adding some sesame seeds,or chia seeds.You can also experiment with flours.There is no smell better than freshly baked bread.
Enjoy it as Bun Maska,Pav Bhaji,Misal and as Pav,Usal the Marathi way.
Enjoy it as Pav Gathia if u like the Gujarati twist
Alternatively, you can enjoy these with classic blueberry or strawberry jam/orange marmalade.
Just enjoy with a good tall glass of 'masala chai' / tea.
Steps for making homemade buns
Read the the recipe of Homemade buns below:
- 5 cups flour 2.5 cup plain flour and 2.5 cup wholewheat flour
- 1/4 cup flax seeds with 250 ml/1cup warm water
- 5 tsp yeast in 1 cup water +1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup water to knead the dough
- 2.5 tsp salt
- Mix the flax seed meal with 1 cup water and keep it aside.
- Add sugar to lukewarm water, mix until it dissolves. Add yeast to sugar water, so that it activates. This will make the mix frothy and activate in 15 minutes.
- Add this yeast and flax seed mix to the flour with salt.
- Start mixing the dough while adding the remaining water.The dough needs to be a little wet and sticky, this will help the buns to rise and come out with a soft texture.
- Knead the dough, this will be sticky at the start, Add oil to remaining ingredients. Keep it aside for 30 minutes to rise.
- Once it has doubled, punch it down and knead it again.
- Divide the flour in 9/16 equal portions, give them a round shape using oiled hands,and arrange them in an oiled baking tray with some space in between the buns.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes. You will see the dough rise and sides might touch each other.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees(fan forced) for 10 minutes.
- Bake the buns for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees. Check the readiness, by knocking on the top of the buns, if they sound hollow then they are ready.
- Take out the tray and brush the buns with butter/oil.
- Let is rest for an hour so that it cools down.
- Serve fresh with butter /fruit preserve/jam.