Khasta Kachori-Vegan lentil pasties are the perfect partner for evening tea.
What is khasta?
Khasta means crunchy.Kachori is a fried flaky pastry.
Spicy and a bit sweet and very crunchy(khasta).Hence, a great snack.There is a variety of kachori in India.Rajasthani kachori or pyaz ki kachori/onion kachori,Urad dal kachori,raj kachori,aloo kachori,moong dal kachori with aloo sabji.
You can fry them a day earlier to any party.Just store it and serve Date chutney- khajoor chutney anytime you have guests for a surprise tea party.
Even add some sev,tamarind/date chutney,yogurt,boondi.mint chutney and make a kachori chaat.
Who said vegan food is a bland salad?
Salads are great but definitely for a diet plan.For a cheat day,this is all you need.Anyone who said vegan food is boring.Definitely,they were not seeing the Indian snack menu.These are perfect munchies when you travel.Make it,store it.Serve it for kitty party or for any gatherings.Goes perfectly with date/tamarind or mint chutney.Store them in a dry container for a long time.
Easy to make and very tasty.It will be your signature dish for many parties.
Why my Kachori is not crispy? Tips for a perfect kachori
Fry all the 'kachoris' at the lowest flame possible.When you start frying check by putting a small amount of dough in oil.It should sizzle and come up slowly.If you cook them on a high flame, they will swell up like a 'poori'.
We have used less plain flour or Maida in this recipe to make it healthier. You can also make it with plain flour.
However it is still fried.Hence, be a little mindful of this.I love them and find it so hard to resist.I can hardly wait to finish the whole jar.
Step by step pictures of Khasta kachori
Read the Khasta Kachori-Vegan lentil pasties recipe
Khasta Kachori-Vegan lentil pasties
- 1 cup besan or chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp jeera or cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp dhaniya or coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp kalonji or nigella seeds
- 2 tbsp saunf or fennel seeds
- 3 tbsp amchur or dried mango powder
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sugar/coconut sugar for vegan
For pastry dough:
- 1/4 cup atta or wholemeal flour
- 3/4 cup maida or plain flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp sooji or semolina
- Pinch of soda
- Salt as per taste
- Some water for kneading
For frying: Oil
For the filling:
- Coarsely powder all spices
- Mix all dry ingredients and dry roast them for few minutes.
- Then,add oil and continue cooking on low flame for 5 minutes,keep it aside.
For pastry dough:
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add oil to it.
- Add some water slowly to knead a tight dough.
- Cover it and keep it aside.
- Take a small dough in your hand and roll it with a pin into small discs.
- Add a spoonful of filling and fold the dough to create a pocket.
- Repeat the process with all the dough and filling mixture.
- Heat oil in a kadai on low flame.
- Fry them on low flame and remove it once it is light brown in colour.
- Keep it on a paper napkin to remove excess oil.
- Store in a dry container.
Click here for more appetizer recipes.
Finally click here to watch more vegan recipe videos.