There is always a good time to have a samosa. Whether it is a rainy season or winter, summer or spring. This much loved snack comes in all shapes and flavors. You will see it as the top of everyone's list when it comes to street food. Onion patti samosa, vegetarian spicy potato,peas filled one, lamb keema sambosa or nuts & raisins filled sweet one. Everyone has a favorite. Aloo ke samose and samosa chaat is a signature dish of Indian food entrée every where. However, it doesn't last too long. Boiled potatoes go stale fast. You need snacks when you travel but boiled potato ones will go stale soon. Hence, dry mini samosa comes to your rescue. Chota samosa or mini samosa is filled with nuts raisins and moong dal along with some spices. Its a crowd favorite on long journeys.
Ever wondered, how many calories are in it?
The deep fry version has 40% more calories than an air-fryer version. What a win, cut your calories yet still enjoy your favorite snack. Of course, it does not mean you can have 2 pieces instead. Well I say yes on a cheat day 😉
For the pastry covering:
- All-purpose flour /plain flour/maida
- Semolina /sooji
- Chilled water
- Ghee/oil if vegan
- Caraway /ajwain seeds
- Oil for brushing during baking
- Mung dal soaked in water and drained
- Chickpea flour /besan
- Almonds/cashews chopped
- Raisins /kishmish
- Red chilly powder
- Dried mango powder /amchur
- Fennel seeds /saunf
- Garam masala
- Sugar & salt as per taste
How to make mini samosa?
- In a pan, cook the soaked lentils after draining the water.
2. Add besan/chickpea flour to the lentils once they soften. 3. Add all the remaining ingredients, except raisins to the pan. 4. Mix the spices along with the lentils and stir.
To make the pastry:
6. Add all ingredients of the pastry in a bowl to knead the dough in the stand mixer(except water).
7.Mix the ghee with flour, until you get a crumbly texture
9. Take a small portion of it and roll the dough into small round shape. Cut it in 2 equal halves. 10. Make a cone by sticking the edges with water. 11. Fill the stuffing and close the cone with water. Seal the edges with a fork
You may fry them in hot oil, if you are not counting calories. Otherwise use the below steps to bake.
How to make it in the oven?
Line up the samose pieces in a baking tray.
Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 180 C (or 360 F) for 15 minutes(fan-forced)
Brush/Spray with oil and bake further for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown in color.
Allow to cool on rack. Store in an air-tight jar.
How to make samosa in an air fryer?
Line up the samosas on the grill.
13. Bake for 20-25 mins, brushing oil 3 times in between at 180 degree C.
14. Serve with tea.
Read the recipe here.
Mini samosa recipe
- Air fryer
- or oven
- stand mixer optionally for kneading
For samosa pastry
- 2 cup all-purpose flour /plain flour/maida
- 3 tablespoon semolina /sooji
- ½ cup water (little less than)chilled
- 3-4 tablespoon ghee/oil if vegan
- 1 teaspoon caraway /ajwain seeds
- 2 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil for brushing during baking
- ⅓ cup mung dal soaked in water and drained
- ⅓ cup chickpea flour /besan
- 6-7 almonds/cashews chopped
- 8-10 raisins /kishmish
Spices for stuffing
- 1.5 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 2.5 teaspoon dried mango powder /amchur
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds /saunf
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2.5 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in pan. Drain the water from lentils and add them to the pan.
- Add besan/chickpea flour to the lentils once they soften.
- Add all remaining ingredients of the filling, except raisins to the pan.
- Mix the spices along with the lentils and stir.
- In a bowl, mix the cooked lentils along with chopped nuts raisins to make the filling.
- Add all ingredients of the pastry in a bowl to knead the dough in the stand mixer(except water)
- Knead the dough with ½ cup water to get a semi hard dough.
- Add extra flour as needed, to keep from sticking to hands and board
- Place the dough in a well-oiled vessel and cover with a cloth/plastic wrap for 15 minutes.
- Take a small portion of it and roll the dough into small round shape.
- Cut it in 2 equal halves, make a cone by sticking the edges with water
- Fill the stuffing and close the cone with water.Seal the edges with a fork
To air fry
- Line up the samosas on the grill.
- Bake for 20-25 mins, brushing oil 3 times in between at 180 degree C.
To bake in oven
- Line up the samosa in a baking tray.
- Bake the samosa in a pre-heated oven at 180 C (or 360 F) for 15 minutes(fan-forced)
- Brush/Spray with oil and bake further for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Allow to cool on rack. Serve warm.
You can use oil while kneading the pastry dough instead of ghee if you are a vegan.
You can add or remove the spices as per your taste. Add more sugar if you like yours a tad bit sweeter.Add a spoonful of coriander powder if you like. If you are allergic to cashews use almonds.
I have used the stand mixer to knead the dough. However, it is not mandatory. You can always knead with hands too. These chota samosas have been around for much longer times. Samosa existed even before stand mixer was invented! You can fry them if you like to make it traditional manner. Air fryer or oven can be used if you like to watch your oil in take.
You can store these prepared samosa in an air-tight container. They last around 2 weeks(if you can control eating them :))
Looking for more air fryer recipes?
Click here to see the baked aloo samosa recipe.
Click here to see more snack video recipes.