Date chutney/khajur chutney is a great and easy sweet chutney recipe. It can add just that tangy zing to any snack. This sweet chutney recipe for chaat is finger-licking good. In cold countries or outside India, it is sometimes very difficult to find tamarind. You do visit an Indian store to get all the special ingredients we use. This recipe is a great way to get the same taste on your palette without actually searching for tamarind. It is easy to cook and ready within few minutes.
Versatile Instant dip- None of those 'dahi bhallas' and 'samosas' would miss that imli chutney once you make this. This home made sweet and spicy chutney is great with nutrients too. The authenticity is a huge far cry from oily and sugar loaded processed tomato sauce. You can also give it to kids as it is a rich source of Iron. Great even during winters. Also, no need of soaking tamarind and planning ahead. This chutney is an instant dip. During vrat or fasting like navratri, we avoid many foods. However, you can still consume dates. You may avoid red chilly powder though. Replace it with black pepper. It goes great with our vrat papdi chaat and sev puri and dahi puri. This chutney can replace your need for tamarind chutney/ketchup.
How to make dates chutney? Ingredients are below.
How to make date chutney?
Date chutney- khajoor chutney
- ½ cup pitted dates
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chilly powder optional during fast
- 2 teaspoon amchoor or dried mango powder or 2 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala optional
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Chop the dates in small pieces. In case pitted dates are not available, remove the seed from regular dates and chop them.
- Put water to boil on a sauce pan and add these dates to it.
- Add salt and stir repeatedly till you see it forming a sticky mixture with dense consistency.You can add some water if you find it too gooey.
- Add chilly powder,amchoor, chaat masala to it and let it cool.
- Blend it to make a smooth puree. Optionally you can strain it if you like it very runny.
- Serve it with vada,cutlet,samosa,etc or any tea time snacks
- Store in a dry bottle in a refrigerator.