Khoya matar makhana curry is an easy creamy curry. Khoya vegetable recipes are simple. Delicious yet simple to cook. Tastes great with poori, roti or paratha. This North Indian curry is quite popular with all ages. It takes less time to cook. Khoya/mawa gives it a paneer like texture.It is easy to make at home if you do not want to buy from dairy. Getting it ready made will only Frozen peas and fox-nuts make a great combination in a tomato gravy.This is a simple recipe when you are bored of eating other veggies. It cooks fast and tastes rich too.
- Tomatoes puree(along with onion ginger & finely chopped green chilli)
- Fox nuts/makhana/ puffed lotus seeds
- Green peas (frozen/fresh)
- Turmeric powder
- Cumin seeds
- Coriander powder
- Red chili powder
- Microwave/Steamer to make khoya at home (optional)
How to make Khoya matar makhana ki sabji?(step by step)
- Toast fox nuts until light golden brown on a low flame and keep it aside.
2. In a pan, heat ghee or oil and cook onions, ginger & chillies until brown over medium flame. 3. Add tomatoes to it and let it cook until rawness disappears and tomatoes soften. Add peas and spices. 4. Now, add crumbled khoya to the tomato mix and cook for few minutes. 5. Add fox nuts to it and cook for 5 minutes. 6. Serve khoya matar makhana curry recipe hot with roti.
Benefits of makhane
Fox nuts are great for kids too. However, one must just press them with a thumb to give young ones small pieces to avoid choking. It tastes great when simply toasted in olive oil & salt for vegans. They are great for tea-time. You can even have them as a kheer, milk based easy dessert if you are not vegan. It gives a great creamy texture when cooked with milk. Fox nuts or phool makhaana are a good source of protein. They are also rich in magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, iron and zinc. It is very high in fiber. It has nutrients higher than almonds and walnuts. Also, it is very low in calories. Additionally, it enables weight loss. You can also make a trail mix/chivda if you do not want to add dairy to your diet. Also, helps you avoid extra calories of cookies and mixtures.
Read the recipe of Khoya matar makhana sabzi
Khoya matar makhana recipe
- 1 cup khoya refer to homemade recipe link in notes
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- 2 small onions chopped
- 1 piece ginger chopped
- 1-2 chopped chillies
- 2 cup fox nuts/makhana
- ½ cup green peas frozen /fresh
- 1 teaspoon turmeric/haldi
- 1 teaspoon cumin/jeera
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder/dhania
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder/Mirchi
- 2 tablespoon oil/ ghee
- Toast the fox-nuts for 2-3 mins and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and chopped onions along with ginger and chilli to it.Cook until brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes to it and cook until they soften.
- Now,add the spices and cook until rawness disappears and oil starts to ooze out
- Add water,peas and let it come to a boil.
- Add the crumbed khoya and toasted foxnuts.Cook for 5 mins,turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with roti/poori.
You may add some frozen corn to this recipe. Add a teaspoon garam masala if you like it spicier. You may make matar makhana or paneer makhana curry if you have paneer handy too.
You can make the onion tomato paste on the weekend and store it in refrigerator. Use it to make any curry in minutes. You can also toast puffed lotus seeds in a pan, an air fryer, oven or microwave. They are delicious as a snack for teatime. Use it to make curry whenever you like. Khoya or mawa can be made and stored in refrigerator whenever you have some left over cream
Easy lunch ideas?
Click here to see more recipe videos.