Aloo matar /aloo mutter is a simple potato peas masala curry. This is my go-to recipe when I am lazy.
Sometimes you are just too tired to cook dinner. It is a versatile curry. Most amateur cooks, bachelors can cook it. It is great on a budget and healthier than a takeaway. Kids love it, so does anyone who needs a fast meal. Great if you have guests coming over and you do not know what their children may want to eat. This curry takes me back to the by-lanes of Kashi ,near the Kashi Vishwanath temple.
Below is a video of tari wali alu mattar ki sabji.
Watch, make and enjoy!
How to make the curry? So many ways.
- There are no surprises with aloo matar curry. Just boil some potatoes while you unwind.
- You can also cook them raw but that takes longer or best to pressure cook when cooking with raw potatoes.
- You may also steam them earlier in the day.
- South Indian style: Changing the tadka/tempering to methi dana/fenugreek seeds, rai/mustard seeds ,garlic to it .Dry version of aloo matar sabji can be used as a filling for masala dosa. Tastes great with tomato pachdi.
- You may add a spoonful of besan/chickpea powder to this curry. My mum makes this and it tastes so good. This variation is more protein rich and gives it a great base. Chickpea flour gives it a great taste.
- You can also add 2 spoons of yogurt to give it a great texture.
Minimal ingredients and spices. However, one of the best comfort foods. You can also make aloo matar gravy recipe without onions and garlic. Cooking without onions, garlic and even ginger is detoxing. Just follow the recipe without them. Some people avoid root vegetables and onion, garlic due to religious reasons. They may also have allergies.
You can enjoy this curry, with rice or roti. It is easy, tastes great ,although it has minimal ingredients. Easy when you are stuck with less ingredients at home too.
Click on the aloo mutter curry below to watch recipe video
Heat oil in a pan and Add cumin seeds,ginger, green chillies and chopped onions. Let it splutter.
Once the onions are brown,add chopped tomatoes and salt.Mix well.
Once tomatoes soften, add spices like turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder.
Keep stirring until the spices are mixed well and the rawness of tomatoes disappear.
Add water and stir the gravy.
Let the gravy come to a boil and then add the potatoes and peas.
Add the potatoes and peas and mix well. Now add kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves and chopped coriander for best results.
Serve hot with roti/rice.
Scroll down for written aloo matar recipe:
Aloo matar-potato peas curry
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tbsp green chillies chopped
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 cup peas
- 3 large potatoes boiled and cubed
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp garam masala optional
- ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock powder optional
- Salt as per taste
- For Garnish:
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- In a pan,heat oil
- Add cumin seeds.Let it splutter.
- Add chopped green chillies and tomatoes.
- Mix well with a spatula.
- Add peas,chopped potatoes and salt.
- Add spices and fenugreek leaves.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with rice,roti or poori/any flatbread.
For more curries click curry recipes.
Finally, to watch more recipe videos click here