Aloo matar or aloo mutter is a simple curry. No surprises here. Just a good old potato peas masala. This is my go-to recipe when I am lazy. Sometimes you are just too tired to cook dinner. This is a versatile curry. Most amateur cooks, bachelors can cook it. It is also great, when you are on a tight budget. It is much healthier than a takeaway. Kids love it. Cooks fast.It is a great alternative to matar paneer if you are vegan and do not like tofu. Your dinner is ready in minutes if you pressure cook. A great option if you have guests coming over and they have small kids. You do not know what their children may want to eat. Most children loves peas and potatoes. Mild spices also help, as kids are picky.
This is a perfect dish to start your Indian cuisine story. We have all kinds of recipes. Some are simple and others complex. You can find all kinds of food. It is a revelation. Not everything is spicy as people think.
How to make the aloo matar curry? So many ways.
- There are no surprises here. Just boil some potatoes while you unwind. Add to the gravy. Serve hot with roti or rice.
- You can also cook them raw but that takes longer. Best to pressure cook when you are using raw ones.
- You may also steam, earlier in the day.
- South Indian style: Change the tempering to methi dana/fenugreek seeds, rai/mustard seeds. Add curry leaves generously. Optionally, add garlic to it .Dry version of aloo matar sabji can be used as a filling for masala dosa. Tastes great with tomato pachdi.
- You may add a spoonful of besan/chickpea powder to this curry. My mum makes this and it tastes so good. This variation is more protein rich. Gives it a great base. Chickpea flour gives it a great taste.
- You can also add 2 spoons of yogurt or nut paste. This gives it a great texture.
- Add heeng once tempering splutters. Avoid this if not gluten-free.
Minimal ingredients and spices. However, one of the best comfort foods. You can also make aloo matar gravy recipe without onions and garlic. Cooking without onions, garlic and even ginger is detoxing. Just follow the recipe without them. Some people avoid root vegetables and onion, garlic due to religious reasons. They may also have allergies.
You can enjoy this curry, with rice or roti. It is easy, tastes great ,although it has minimal ingredients. Easy when you are stuck with less ingredients at home too.
How to make the curry in dhaba style?
2. Once the onions are brown, add chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix well.
3. Once tomatoes soften, add spices like turmeric, red chilly powder, coriander powder.
4. Keep stirring until the spices are mixed well. The rawness of tomatoes should disappear.
5. Now, add water and stir the gravy.
6. Let the gravy come to a boil. You may add a spoonful of chickpea flour or besan as a variation in this step.
7. Add the potatoes and peas. Mix well. Let it come to a boil. Now, add kasoori methi/dried fenugreek leaves and chopped coriander for best results.
Serve hot with roti or rice.
Scroll down for written aloo matar recipe:
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon green chillies chopped
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 cup peas
- 3 large potatoes boiled and cubed
- 3 tablespoon oil
- ½ tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ tablespoon garam masala optional
- ½ tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder optional
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon kasuri methi
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- In a pan,heat oil
- Add cumin seeds.Let it splutter.
- Add chopped green chillies and tomatoes.
- Mix well with a spatula.
- Add peas,chopped potatoes and salt.
- Add spices and fenugreek leaves.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with rice,roti or poori/any flatbread.
Watch, make and enjoy!
Below is a video of tari wali alu mattar ki sabji.
How to make aloo matar?
Travel tip: This curry takes me back to Benaras. Kashi is a place one must visit at least once in their life. It stirs your soul. Makes you think. You feed your soul and nurture life. The aarti is worth all the hype. Watch the sun rise, while on a boat. It stays with you forever.
What can be made from Aloo?
Here are some great curry recipes using the humble potato.
Finally, click here to watch more recipe videos.