Summers reminds me of special pickles.Sindhi Onion Pickle-Basar ji khatairn is one such recipe.
Basar means Onion in sindhi and khatairn means pickle.Traditional Sindhi onion pickle is mandatory in many households.It is tangy and also helps you beat the heat.
In olden days, ladies would make various pickles in the backyard.These pickles were multi-purpose recipes.You got your fermented probiotics with pickling.If you went dairy free,fermented foods helped you with digestion.
This pickle especially as onions and salt help you prevent sunstroke.
You also enjoy simple recipes more.They have more flavor and best memories.
Simple khichdi or dal rice is easy meal.You could just eat curd rice with pickle down south
Scroll below to read the recipe of Sindhi Onion Pickle-Basar ji khatairn
- 200 gms baby onions
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- 4 tbsp coarsely powdered yellow mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp.oil
- 1/2 cup Water(Optional)
- Peel onions and rinse well.
- Slit onions (criss-cross) from the larger side half way through.
- Mix all spices with salt.
- Apply spice mix to the onions and let it rest in sun for 2-3 hours.
- Take a sterilized glass jar and mix the remaining spice with onions.
- Add oil ,water and keep the jar in sunlight or warm place for 2-3 days(in winters it might take around a week)
- Keep the jar in sunlight or warm place for 2-3 days.
- The pickle is ready to be consumed.
- Do not add water if you want the pickle to be consumed dry. Addition of water will make it bit watery
- Dry pickle can be stored for a long time at room temperature. If you add water then it needs to be stored in refrigerator.
Click pickle for more pickle recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.