Summers reminds me of special pickles. Sindhi Onion Pickle or Basar ji khatairn is one such traditional recipe for indian onion pickle. Basar means onion and khatairn means pickle in Sindhi.This traditional Sindhi pickle is also called as Sandhyala basar .It is mandatory in many households.Summer means there is strong heat everywhere.
This instant onion pickle recipe is quite healthy too. Onions save you from heat. It is also very tasty.It is tangy and helps you digest any khichdi.No meal is complete without such special tidbits. Flavor packed spoonfuls which make even a bland dish delicious.Even today,many people eat onion and paratha for lunch when on the move. In olden days, ladies would make various pickles in the backyard. These pickles were multi-purpose recipes. You can eat a simple lunch on few days by just pairing it with some pickle.Any paratha tastes great with pickle be it methi thepla or aloo paratha.Juar jo dodho /sorghum roti,dal paratha/stuffed lentil bread.Be it Paneer/mooli/aloo paratha or lauki thepla.
Pickling and health benefits
Contrary to what people feel, that they are too spicy and oily, pickling is actually good for health. Picking is a form of fermentation. Fermented foods help your gut immensely. Onion achar or onion pickle is a favourite. They are loaded with probiotics.In the olden days, people altered their diet, according to the weather. This would help avoid use of medicines unlike today. If you are vegan , fermented foods helped you with digestion. This pickle especially as onions and salt help you prevent sunstroke. You also enjoy simple recipes more with a little spoonful of achar.Be it dal or khichdi or plain curd rice.
Achar ke vichar achche hai!
- Ingredients for sindhi onion picke
2.Add the spices ,keep in sunlight. Move it to a jar with water/oil,keep further in sunlight.
Read the Basar ji khatairn recipe below:
Sindhi Onion Pickle-Basar ji khatairn
- 500 gm baby onions/shallots
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilly powder
- 2-3 tablespoon coarsely powdered yellow mustard seeds
- ¼ cup oil optional only if you want to make without water
- 1 cup Water boiled and cooled
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Peel onions and rinse well.
- Slit onions (criss-cross) from the larger side half way through.
- Mix all spices with salt.
- Apply spice mix to the onions and let it rest in sun for 2-3 hours.
- Take a sterilized glass jar and mix the remaining spice with onions.
- Add water and keep the jar in sunlight or warm place for 2-3 days(in winters it might take around a week).The pickle is ready to be consumed.
- Refrigerate once ready.
Do not add water if you want the pickle to be consumed dry. Addition of water will make it bit thin and liquid.
Dry pickle can be stored for a long time at room temperature. If you add water then it needs to be stored in refrigerator.
Click pickle for more pickle recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.