We traditionally make Mathura peda recipe with boora or tagar sugar and milk solids. This recipe is peda recipe with mawa or khoya and jaggery. Sugar is not good for health. It is always better to make sweets using jaggery like in the olden times. Jaggery has its medicinal and nutritive properties, although it still contains calories. These days mawa is also contaminated hence it is always better to make it at home. Click here to learn how to make mawa at home. You can also make Mathura peda with milk powder. You can make the milk powder peda without condensed milk. This helps you add sugar according to your taste. Once you have unsweetened mawa ready, making sweets is not a big deal.
The Krishna connection
This peda is synonymous with Lord Krishna and occasion of his birth, Janamashtami. The moment you say Janamashtami, Krishnashtami or Gokulashtami, Gokul Vrindavan and Mathura come to your mind. Holi and Janamashtami of Barsana and Mathura, the birth place of Radha Rani and Shri Krishna is a feast of soul. Most halwai create a plethora of sweets during Holi and Janamashtami. There is something magical about traditional sweets be it Mathura ka peda or Agra ka petha. You can also have this recipe during Navratri or Navratre fasting as it is made with milk only.
Mathura peda ingredients
How to make Mathura peda at home?
1. Cook mawa with ghee on a non stick pan.
2.Once it starts to turn brown, add crumbled gud/jaggery.
3. Mix it well, add spices.
4. Add milk and cook.
5. Turn off the heat once it starts coming together.
6. Take a spoonful and shape them into peda.
Mathura peda (with instant mawa & jaggery)
- 2 cup mawa for quick recipe, refer notes
- ¾ cup powdered gud Kolhapur or the light brown is preferred
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ tsp elaichi/cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp jaiphal/nutmeg powder
- ¼ tsp dalchini/cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp powdered pistachios optional
- Crumble the mava into crumbs or grate it.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium flame and add mawa
- Add ghee slowly and keep mixing with a spatula for 5-7 minutes.
- The colour of mawa will turn brownish as it is cooking.
- Now,add jaggery to this mawa followed by spices and milk.
- Fold and scrape this mixture along the sides of the pan continuously, until it forms a homogeneous consistency.
- Continue mixing with a spatula until the ghee is released from the mixture or the mix turns shiny.
- Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is still warm,start shaping them into small balls.
- Garnish with some powdered pistachios (optional).
how to make mathura peda? Quick recap
Click sweets for more sweet recipes.
Finally, click here for more recipe videos.