Methi matar malai dhaba style is a traditional Indian Curry.Peas cooked in creamy fenugreek gravy is an easy Punjabi curry which is smooth and fragrant.
I consider it one of the best Punjabi main course curries.You may see many people order this at an Indian restaurant.It tastes slightly sweet as it is a cream based curry.Hence,most people can have it especially those who cannot handle the heat of curries.It also has the goodness of iron-rich fenugreek leaves.You can also use it as a base to make methi malai paneer or methi malai mushroom.
It uses full cream so I can reuse the left over heavy cream when I bake a cake.Great for a mid week special.Enjoy the cake on a Sunday,use the rest by mid week.It needs minimal fresh ingredients.
You can make methi malai mutter recipe without onion as well or make methi malai matar with kasuri methi.Also, add some paneer if you want a variation.
Hence you can make it anytime especially if guests are coming at short notice.
Goes well with naan bread or Tandoori roti.
Benefits of fenugreek:
- Great for digestion
- Iron rich greens
- Best for breastfeeding mothers
How to make variations?
This easy curry which can have variations as per your choice.
Add mushrooms to it or some paneer.Add corn to make methi malai makai or potato cubes if you want.
If you do not have these greens at home,add palak or spinach to make palak malai matar.
Step-by step instructions of methi mutter malai
Read the Methi malai matar recipe below:
Methi malai matar
- 1 bunch/ 1.5 cup post cleaning fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 small piece ginger
- 1 medium green chilli
- 6-7 cashews 1/4 cup
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup cream
- Boil 4-5 cups of water in a pan,add methi(fenugreek) leaves and turn off the heat.
- Drain the water,keep the methi leaves aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.Saute cumin,chilli,onion & ginger untill onion is golden brown.
- Add cashew and cook for few minutes,turn off the heat
- Blend with 1/2 cup water once it cools.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan and add the onion paste to it.
- Let it cook for 4-5 mins.Add fenugreek leaves and cook along with some salt.
- Add 1/2 cup water,cream,peas and sugar,let it come to a boil.Add more water if required
- Turn off the heat,serve hot with Tandoori Roti or Chapathi.
You can also enjoy other recipes like methi muthia,methi thepla to enjoy these greens.
Click here to see more recipe videos
Click here to read more such curry recipes.