Undhiyu puri is one of the best winter dishes. It is Gujarati traditional food at its best. Basically, it is a mixed vegetable curry. There is a great liking for mix vegetable recipes in India. Most people like aloo gobi matar, veg jalfrezi, mixed cabbage curry. This one is the king of all recipes. It is really elaborate but totally worth the effort. We cook assorted vegetables slowly in a green pesto. Eat it with fried flat bread. It makes a heavenly combination when served with 'Shrikhand'.Traditionally you serve it with dollops of white butter or 'ghee'/clarified butter. However, you can also make it vegan by just avoiding ghee in tempering. Gujarati food is a treat for every vegetarian and aspiring vegan. Rich in colors and taste. It is delightful to see a punch of flavors popping into your taste buds. It's totally yummy!
The following recipe is one of the most meticulous recipes, that we have documented and published.
Hence, there are lot of steps to document.
These days you also get a packet of frozen vegetables for undhiyu.
Vegetable used for undhiyu mix veg bhaji.
There is no fixed list. You may use whatever vegetables you get matching to the profile of traditional vegetables. Cook them by deep frying them or steaming them.
The green masala gives the flavor to the gravy. We use a mix of mustard, cumin, sesame and carrom seeds or ajwain for tempering.
Below are the steps of Undhiyu muthia recipe
Muthiya is the one of the tastiest ingredient of undhiyu.
Needless to say, you need to make many of these fried balls. You can also prepare this in advance. Everyone needs to get muthiya with vegetables.
Once you complete the preparation, then preparing undhiyu is a simple affair. Just prepare the gravy and add the masala, vegetables.
Read the recipe of Undhiyu below:
For the masala paste:
- 1 cup fresh coriander chopped
- 1 cup fresh green garlic
- 1 medium piece of ginger
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 gree chillies
- 2 tablespoon shredded coconut optional
For the veggies
- ½ cup carrots
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- ½ cup yam diced
- ½ cup broad beans
- 3-4 Small brinjals
- 3-4 small potatoes
- ½ cup peas
- ½ cup purple yam
- ½ cup pegios peas
- 3 medium tomatoes pureed
For the muthia:
- 2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon semolina sooji
- 2 tablespoon cup atta flour
- 2 tablespoon /ginger-chilli-garlic paste
- ½ cup or handful methi/fenugreek leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ⅛ th teaspoon asafoetida heeng
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- pinch of soda optional
- ¼ cup ghee/oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds jeera
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds ajwain
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds til
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds rai
- Pinch of heeng/asafoetida
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
dry masala mix
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Knead a tight dough with all ingredients.
- Divide into small equal parts of oval or round shape.
- Fry them in oil,Keep it aside.
- Except potatoes,brinjals,peas, steam all veggies for 10-15 minutes.(traditionally, all vegetables are fried one by one, instead of being steamed)
- You may need to steam hard vegetables separately from the soft ones.
- Saute the steamed vegetables in 1-2 tablespoon oil(optional if you want to have less oil)
- Slit the potatoes and brinjals crossway and insert the green masala,saute with 1-2 tablespoon oil for 10-15 minutes in a pan
- Heat oil in a tempering pan.
- Add cumin,carom,sesame,mustard, seed.Let it splutter.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida(heeng) and green masala.
- Add the dry masala and tomato puree.
- Let it cook for 10 minutes, add the semi cooked veggies and muthiya
- Add 2-3 cups of water,cover and cook the undhiyu.
- Cook until all veggies are soft, turn of the heat, add lemon juice.
- Serve with poori/roti
Looking for more Gujarati recipes?
Click here to see more curry recipes.
Also click here to see more recipe videos.