Methi thepla- fenugreek flatbread is a signature Gujarati dish.It is a Gujarati roti recipe which is quite tasty.It is a sweet thepla recipe traditionally, however I do not add too much sugar in the bread.You can use various veggies to make different types of thepla, like spinach for palak thepla , grated bottle gourd to make lauki thepla recipe.
Methi breakfast recipes are quite healthy as it is iron-rich too.You can make it in advance on weekend for a hectic week ahead.Generally, stays long and tasty.It serves you as a go to breakfast or snack whenever you are hungry instead of eating junk.You can also make methi thepla for travel and eat while you await reaching your destination.I loved eating them during my train journeys.We travelled for 24+ hours and this helped us avoid market based oily food.If you do not have fresh methi leaves,you can also make kasuri methi thepla instead.
Nutrition benefits of Fenugreek
It is rich in iron like all other greens.Great for vegans and vegetarians who avoid meat, fish and eggs
Lactating mothers must have fenugreek in their diet.This helps produce more milk.
Post delivery many things are restricted.
However,this is a great way of adding taste to your diet.
Note:Please check with doctor before adding this to your diet during pregnancy.
What to eat with methi thepla?
Step by steps pictures of Methi thepla
1.Mix all ingredients with oil and water to knead a semi hard dough
2.Keep the dough aside for 30 minutes,cover with a kitchen towel.
3.Roll into thin flatbreads
4.Cook on a tava/griddle with little oil on both sides
Read the recipe of Methi thepla below:
- 1 cup chopped methi or fenugreek leaves
- 2.5 cup atta or wholemeal flour
- 2 tbsp til or sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp adrak mirchi/ginger-chilli paste
- ½ tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp jeera or cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- ¼ cup oil
- Salt as per taste
- In a bowl, add all dry ingredients to wholemeal flour.Mix well.
- Add little oil to it.
- Knead a dough with little water to make a slightly soft dough.It should not be sticky.
- Take small amounts of dough a palm and make round size balls.
- Apply little oil on rolling pin so that dough does not stick while making thepla.
- Make thin flatbreads using rolling pin.
- Heat a non-stick pan,add little oil to it after placing the flatbread.
- Cook evenly on both sides by adding a 1/4 tsp oil after flipping over.
- Serve hot with mango pickle or tomato chutney and dry potato curry.
Click here to read more bread recipes.
Also, click here to watch more recipe videos.