Methi thepla- fenugreek flatbread is a signature Gujarati dish. It is a thin Gujarati roti recipe which is quite tasty. Generally, Gujarati community is vegetarian. Eating greens help them with iron. Theplas are traditionally slightly sweet. However, I do not add too much sugar in the bread. We eat it generally with some pickle. You can find this popular recipe everywhere in kirana stores. Mostly made by gruhudyog. These are run by ladies from a weak economic background.
You can use various veggies to make different types of flatbread. Chopped spinach for palak thepla , grated bottle gourd to make lauki thepla recipe.
Methi breakfast recipes are quite healthy as it is iron-rich too. You can make it in advance on weekend for a hectic week ahead. Generally, stays long and tasty. It serves you as a go to breakfast or snack whenever you are hungry instead of eating junk. You can also make methi thepla for travel and eat while you await reaching your destination. I loved eating them during my train journeys. We travelled for 24+ hours and this helped us avoid market based oily food. If you do not have fresh methi leaves, you can also make kasuri methi thepla instead.
Nutrition benefits of Fenugreek
It is rich in iron like all other greens. Great for vegans and vegetarians who avoid meat, fish and eggs. Lactating mothers must have fenugreek in their diet. This helps produce more milk. Post delivery many things are restricted. Mostly women are advised to eat bland food. Avoid gassy vegetables to aid digestion during breastfeeding. However, this is recipe which is both healthy and tasty.
Note: Please check with doctor before adding this to your diet during pregnancy.
What to eat with methi thepla?
Step by steps pictures of Methi thepla
- Mix all ingredients with oil and water to knead a semi hard dough.
- Keep the dough aside for 30 minutes, cover with a kitchen towel.
3. Roll into thin flatbreads.
4. Cook on a tava/griddle with little oil on both sides.
Read the recipe of Methi thepla below:
- 1 cup chopped methi or fenugreek leaves
- 2.5 cup atta or wholemeal flour
- 2 tablespoon til or sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon adrak mirchi/ginger-chilli paste
- ½ tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon jeera or cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- ¼ cup oil
- Salt as per taste
- In a bowl, add all dry ingredients to wholemeal flour.Mix well.
- Add little oil to it.
- Knead a dough with little water to make a slightly soft dough.It should not be sticky.
- Take small amounts of dough a palm and make round size balls.
- Apply little oil on rolling pin so that dough does not stick while making thepla.
- Make thin flatbreads using rolling pin.
- Heat a non-stick pan,add little oil to it after placing the flatbread.
- Cook evenly on both sides by adding a ¼ teaspoon oil after flipping over.
- Serve hot with mango pickle or tomato chutney and dry potato curry.
Fall in love with Gujarati cuisine. Try these recipes now.
- Lauki thepla
- Sandwich dhokla
- Fafda Jalebi
- Mixed dal dhokla
- Lauki chana dal
- Zucchini muthia
- Indian breakfast recipes
Click here to read more bread recipes.
Also, click here to watch more recipe videos.