Sata bhajiyun-seven vegetable curry is a traditional autumn meal.This is a very important curry for Sindhis.Some people also call it Chiti Kuni.For all other communities,it is another way of making and feeding kids a great mixed vegetable curry.Probably you can say this Sindhi curry is counterpart of Gujarati 'Undhiyu'.
While Sindhi sabji recipe sai bhaji is cooking spinach with lentils,this is cooking spinach with veggies.
Cooking mixed veggies together also makes use of left-0ver raw veggies at once.Thereby cleaning your refrigerator.
We cook small amounts of variety of vegetables in a spinach based gravy.It is also a way to utilize small left over raw veggies in a spinach based gravy.
First of all,this curry makes use of winter vegetables which mother nature welcomes with time.
There is a change of season, when autumn ends and winter appears.
Hence, there is a distinct change of veggies in the local market.Sata means seven while Bhajiyun meaning vegetables.
What is special about Sata bhajiyun ?
This curry is especially made on the day of 'Laxmi Pujan' at Diwali and also kept in Naivedyam.
Probably, the only prasad which is not sweet but a curry.
However, you may not wait till Diwali for making this curry.
You can relish this with fried flat bread -Poori.
Have it any time for brunch.Great way to eat your greens.
Step by step pictures of the recipe
1. Cut the vegetables,seperate out soft and hard ones
2. Cook the hard vegetables in a pan with little oil and salt
3.Meanwhole, prepare a paste of tomato and cook with ginger and chillies
4.Add to spinach puree and cook
5.Add the soft vegetables with water and cook
6.Add the semi cooked hard vegetables and let it cook.
Read the recipe of Sata Bhajiyun-seven vegetable curry
Sata Bhajiyun-seven vegetable curry
- 500 grams spinach leaves/palak
- Handful fenugreek leaves /methi
- 3 medium tomatoes pureed
- 2-3 cauliflower florets
- 4-5 pieces pumpkin
- 4-5 pieces lotus stem
- 1 boiled potato medium sized pieces
- 1 sweet potato medium sized pieces
- 1 small yam medium sized pieces
- 1 small carrot medium sized pieces
- ¼ cup green peas
- 2-3 green chilli chopped
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Salt as per taste
- ¼ cup water
- First of all, par boil hard vegetables(or saute hard vegetables i.e. potato,sweet potato,yam,carrot etc),keep it aside
- Boil about 6 cups of water in a saucepan and add spinach and fenugreek leaves.
- Boil for one minute and drain water using strainer,Blend it into a fine puree once it cools.
- In a sauce pan, heat 3 tbsp oil and add cumin seeds.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, green chilli and saute for a minute.
- Add tomato puree and saute on medium heat till oil separates.
- Now add salt, all dry spices and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add spinach/methi puree with some water with soft vegetables and allow to boil
- Once the vegetables are semi cooked, add the semi cooked hard vegetables
- Combine all the vegetables and mix very gently.
- Allow to cook until the hard vegetables are cooked completely.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Click here to read additional Sindhi recipes.
Finally, click here to see additional recipe videos.