Paneer Biryani is light yet tasty and an awesome rice recipe. Cottage cheese takes veg biryani to the next level. Serve it with raita, spicy Hyderabadi mirch ka salan and papad. Biryani is always a favorite for a special weekend brunch. It is symbol of feast and happiness. Make and serve with a lot of love. You may make this one pot meal made in a huge wok. Both vegetarian and non-vegetarians greatly appreciate this rice bowl recipe.
Although, the non-vegetarian community always debates that vegetarian version is actually a 'pulao' or pilaf. Also called as tahiri.
However, It is a great option if u just want to cook one large community meal.
Types of Biryani in India
There are various types of biryani in India. Each has been developed in its unique style. The variations are due to local taste and availability of regional ingredients. Also, there is a difference in cooking style. Some cook meat raw along with rice. Others add cooked meat. Some are purely vegan others have milk. Some have more veggies while others just rely on whole spices. Consequently, around 11-12 versions are available in India alone. Dindigul, Sindhi, Tehri, Kalyani, Malabar, Kutchi, Ambur, Bhatkali and Bohri. These are what you can taste outside commercially. Recipe of Veg Hyderabadi Biryani remains the most popular in vegetarian version. Each region has a huge fan following of biryani, after all it is cooked slowly and is delicious with or without meat. It is also gluten-free and has the power of veggies.
Cottage cheese Benefits:
- First of all, Rich source of protein, Vitamin B Complex, D and calcium.
- Especially, recommended for pregnant women.
- Prevents breast cancer and also controls sugar.
Here is a recipe of a healthy veggie biryani and yet super yum. It also has delicious helpings of fresh cottage cheese or 'paneer' .
You can also make it for a Sunday brunch and serve to family and friends.
Ingredients for Paneer Biryani
Step by step pictures for Paneer Biryani recipe
1.Get all the ingredients ready including the marinated paneer
2.Cook onions with ginger, garlic & chilly.
3.Add carrots, beans and capsicum.
4. Add paneer pieces and mix slowly.
5. Add coriander, mint and all spices. Cook for few minutes.
6. Cook rice in a separate pot until its cooked by 70%.
7. Add rice to the paneer mix. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
Read the spicy paneer biryani recipe below
Paneer Biryani-Cottage cheese Biryani
- ½ cup beans diced
- ½ cup mixed capsicum diced
- 2 cup Basmati rice washed and soaked in water for 1 hour
- 2 medium sized onion chopped length wise
- ½ cup mint and coriander mix
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger
- ½ tbsp chillies
- 300 gms paneer/cottage cheese diced
- ½ cup yogurt
- 4 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tbsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- salt to taste
- Marinate the paneer with yogurt little turmeric,salt and garam masala.
- Keep it aside for 4 hours/overnight
- Heat oil in a pan,Cook onions with ginger,garlic & chillies untill golden brown
- Add carrots,beans and capsicum,cook for 8-10 minutes
- Add Paneer pices and mix slowly
- Add coriander,mint and all spices,cook for few minutes,Add the remaining yogurt mix from the marinate.
- Heat 5-6 cups of water in a pot,Cook rice until its cooked by 70%(this will take around 7-8 mins)
- Add rice to the paneer mix,cover and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Allow it to rest for 10 minutes,mix slowly from top to bottom
Finally, click here to read additional rice recipes.
Click here for additional recipe videos.