'Paneer butter masala' or 'Shahi Paneer'
I have always been intrigued by this question. Honestly, other than using butter and bit of garam masala , I do not see how 'paneer butter masala' is different from 'shahi paneer' .
So you can just use the below steps for both the recipes.
What is butter paneer?
This famous cottage cheese curry is a signature dish of Indian main course. Paneer makhni is a creamy soft cottage cheese curry which just melts into your mouth. Paneer masala never disappoints. This curry just melts into the mouth. Most noteworthy, this recipe is a favorite with all age groups. It has minimum spices but is still rich and yummy. It is also kid friendly and even aged people can eat it. Bachelors love it, so do the groups of large families.
Many non-vegetarians also love their cottage cheese. Make this curry for any special occasion. If you love yours, you can make it in advance.
Alternatively, buy some from any local dairy over the weekend. These days even Costco sells it outside India.
You may however make this with Halloumi too. Whip up a quick treat if you have guests coming home at a short notice.
What can we eat with paneer?
Probably, most people order it with Tandoori roti or Rumali Roti at a restaurant .
Paneer Butter masala dhaba style is the first choice of many. It may also make or break a reviewer's opinion about a restaurant. You can pair it with Pindi chole and rajma for any party. However, it is easy to make at home.
Is Paneer good for health? Yes !
- Rich source of protein.
- Super dose of calcium.
- Improves metabolism.
- It is rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
- Good for diabetics, cancer prevention.
- Reduces risk of heart diseases.
Step by step pictures for Shahi paneer
Note: If you are allergic to almonds, you can also make it with cashews. Paneer kaju recipe also tastes the same. Just replace almonds with cashews in the same quantity.
Read the written recipe of Paneer Butter Masala
Paneer Butter Masala / Shahi paneer
- 400 grams paneer/cottage cheese cubes
- 4 tbsp oil/ghee clarified butter/butter
- 2 medium onion
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped green chillies
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tbsp garam masala
- 2-3 soaked cashews/almonds
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup cream(optional)
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi
- Salt as per taste
- Heat 3 tbsp.oil and add onions & salt,saute for 5 mins.
- Add ginger & chillies with tomatoes,
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt,cashews,cook until soft.
- Add spices,Mix well.
- Now,add 2 cups of water and mix .
- Blend once cool.
- In a pan,add 1 tbsp.ghee/oil/butter with blended mix .
- Add cottage cheese cubes to the gravy with cream,kasuri methi and let it come to a boil.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with roti or jeera rice.
To watch the video: How to make Paneer Butter Masala
For more curry recipes click Curries &Gravies
click Punjabi to search more Punjabi recipes.
Click Paneer if you want to read more simple Paneer recipes.
Finally to see more videos click recipe