Vegetarian fried rice is a recipe you can never get over with. It is a perfect choice when you have little veggies at home. You can make multiple variations yet enjoy the same dish. It is easy cooking and quick one too.
All you need is a simple wok and veggies you like. You can never go wrong with this. Every one loves a good rice bowl. Fresh rice loaded with veggies is a perfect choice when you are hungry. I love making oriental rice and noodle recipes. It is a great way to add veggies you may not like as such, especially broccoli.
No wonder it is an easy winner too. Other variations of this Chinese vegetarian fried rice are also quite a hit. Be it vegan kimchi fried rice or vegan pineapple fried rice. Schezwan fried rice or vegetable egg fried rice.
I find it as an easy way to feed your kids veggies without much hassle. What else can you ask for. If you do not have time for veg Manchurian, or pair it with dal fry. It might look like an odd combination, but it just works! Best vegan fried rice recipe oddly for me is served with dal and paneer tikka and some lemon soda.
Tip: Chop and deep freeze your veggies over the weekend. Invest in a good chopper to make life easy. This will help you cook food faster during the weeknights.
- wok / deep sauce pan
- mandolin slicer / grater / food processor
- Cooked rice / left over rice (If using fresh rice, cook it until its cooked 90% and drain the excess water. Leftover rice works much better with this recipe.)
- Salt and pepper
- Soy sauce
- Red & green peppers
- Shelled corn
- Heat oil in a wok on a medium/high flame. Fry garlic & ginger in it until brown.
- Now, add chopped onions & carrots.
- Once the carrot is partially cooked ,add grated cabbage & mix well.
- Now, add shelled corn & peppers. Stir it well.
- Add cooked rice to the veggies
- Now add pepper and soy sauce to it. Give it a stir.
- Turn off the heat. Garnish it with chopped spring onions. Serve hot with some sweet chilli sauce.
- You can add spring onions instead of onions. Omit corn if you like. Best veg fried rice recipe is definitely the one you make according to your taste.
- Non-vegetarians can definitely add some chicken to this recipe and make their chicken fried rice. Shrimp fried rice is another favourite with sea food lovers.
- You can also serve it with some sticky tofu.
You may use basmati or jasmine for fried rice. You can also add some quinoa if you like.
- Fried rice stays well for 1-2 days in refrigerator. You can always chop veggies and keep them separate in an air tight box. Make the rice and add them instantly.
- Frozen veg fried rice can also be made by freezing the contents in an air tight plastic container. You can heat it in a microwave before usage.
Any long grain rice like basmati or jasmine is good for fried rice. Shorter grain rice has more water content so you need to avoid it. They tend to get sticky post cooking.
Any vegetable oil like peanut or sunflower is good. Avoid olive oil and butter.
Low sodium soya sauce. Not very dark.
Schezwan fried rice is a spicier version of the regular fried rice with loads of ginger, garlic and soy sauce added to it.
Invest in a good wok if you love your stir fry and Chinese food. Handcrafted woks add a special touch to your dishes.
Vegetarian Fried rice recipe | Veg fried rice recipe
- Grater / mandolin slicer/ food processor
- 3 cups cooked rice If using fresh rice, cook it until its cooked 90% and drain the excess water. Leftover rice works much better with this recipe
- 3 tablespoon oil sesame oil or any vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup carrot cubed/grated
- ½ cup red pepper Julliene
- ½ cup green pepper Julliene
- 11/2 cup cabbage chopped
- ½ cup shelled corn
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt as per taste
- ¼ cup chopped green onions for garnish.
- Boil rice with double the water in a saucepan and strain it with a sieve. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a wok on a medium/high flame & fry garlic & ginger in it.
- Now, add onions & carrots with little salt
- Once the carrot is partially cooked ,add grated cabbage & mix well
- Now, add shelled corn & peppers.
- Add cooked rice to the veggies
- Now add salt and pepper and soy sauce to it. Give it a stir.
- Turn off the heat , Garnish it with chopped spring onions. Serve hot with some sweet chilli sauce.
- If using fresh rice, cook it until its cooked 90% and drain the excess water. Leftover rice works much better with this recipe
- Always wash your veggies thoroughly before chopping.
- Make sure you reheat leftovers. If smelly, discard immediately.
- Avoid storing hot food in plastic containers.
Please share your inputs..