Sindhi recipe collection has many exotic recipes. Most people although, think of Papad and Kadhi. You will find all kinds of dishes here. Vegan, gluten free vegetarian and non vegetarian. Delicately spiced rice recipes like thoom ware chawar,bhuga chawar and Sindhi Tairi/Tayri rice provide a balance to all those rich gravies and nut based sweets.
Other sindhi recipes include Dal pakwan, Kali mirch koki, Onion koki , sindhi kadhi, bhuga chawar, Sindhi toor dal kadhi , sindhi chauthe, sindhi besani ,Seyun patata,sindhi papad and Sindhi khorak.
Tahiri is a Sindhi style sweet rice preparation that is made with jaggery or palm sugar and dates. Usually, one would see dates being used in sweets and chutney. However, it gives a great flavor to rice too. This recipe is rich in nutrients too. Both dates and jaggery are rich in Iron. We usually serve it with Saibhaji or Sai Palak and fried potato chips.
When is it eaten?
Usually, we eat this Sindhi sweet rice recipe on Sankranti & on festivals and special occasions. We also serve this during weddings, mundan ceremonies, teejri. It is a great dish for weekend brunches too when plain rice won't suffice.
Sindhi and their love for food
Our community is probably one of the biggest close knit ones. They also love adventure. They are foodies, travelers and also entrepreneurs. Hence, cuisine is a mixed bag too. This authentic Sindhi cuisine developed with hardships migration and by being globally local. You will find lot of exotic items like pasta in curry. Probably evolved as a curry after loads of immigration and travel stories. Not many people knew macaroni when we were growing up in India. We have a rich cuisine. Use a lot of nuts, milk, mawa while cooking.We do not shy away from using ghee.Love to live king size too, throw dinners, parties and have a huge circle of friends unlike what may be portrayed in Bollywood. Ironically, there are lots of Sindhis in Bollywood! Basically we work hard and party harder! They face the world with a devil may care attitude. They do not fear what is coming next & have faith in their own self instead of relying on fate.
- Rice soaked for 20 minutes in water
- Ghee or oil if vegan
- Saunf or fennel seeds
- Kaju or cashews
- Draksh (black raisins) & kishmish(raisins)
- Cinnamon stick
- Kesar or saffron soaked in milk/water if vegan
- Salt as per taste
How to make Sindhi tairi ?
- In a pan, heat ghee and fry cashews. Keep it aside.
- Now, add jaggery until it melts.
3. Add all the spices and cook for a few minutes. 4. Now, add remaining ingredients with water, cover & cook.
Sindhi Tairi recipe
- Frying pan/ sauce pan
- 1 ½ cup rice soaked for 20 minutes in water
- 2 tbsp. ghee or oil if vegan
- 1 tbsp. saunf or fennel seeds
- ¼ cup kaju or cashews
- ¼ cup draksh black raisins + kishmish(raisins)
- 6-7 chopped dates
- 5-7 strands of kesar or saffron soaked in milk/water if vegan
- ½ cup jaggery
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3-¼ cups of water
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add the cashews,fry them until golden brown and keep it aside.
- Add jaggery to the pan, cook for 2 minutes or until jaggery is caramalized.
- Now ,add cinnamon, fennel seeds and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add dates and raisins.
- Cook until the mixture is well combined.
- Add rice and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients, add 3-¼ cups of water .
- Cover the pan and let it boil.
- Add cashews, saffron. Cook until all water is evaporated or rice is cooked.
- Serve hot with Sindhi Sai bhaji.
- Frying pan/sauce pan
You can replace ghee with oil if vegan.
You can store it in refrigerator for 1-2 days. However, eating fresh is best always!
Looking for easy rice recipes?
- Tomato rice
- Lemon rice
- Curd rice/thayir sadam
- Raw mango rice
- Thoom ware chawar/Green garlic rice Sindhi style
- Bhuga chawal/Sindhi caramelized onion pilaf
Click Sindhi Recipes for additional recipes. Finally click video for more recipe videos.
Please share your inputs..