Sindhi recipe collection has many exotic recipes. Most people although, think of Papad and Kadhi. However, Sindhi Tairi/Tayri rice is one such exotic recipe. There are many gluten-free vegan dishes also which have evolved over time. The food is not overly spicy, yet has very distinct flavor. Sindhi Tahiri is a sweet pilaf using jaggery. It is rich in nutrients too. Both dates and jaggery are rich in Iron. We usually serve it with Saibhaji or Sai Palak and fried potato chips.Usually, we eat this on Sankranti & festival. We also serve this during weddings, mundan, 9 ceremony and weekend brunches.
Sindhi and their love for food
Sindhi community is probably one of the biggest close knit ones. They also love adventure. They are foodies, travelers and also entrepreneurs. Hence, cuisine is a mixed bag too.
You will find lot of exotic items like pasta in curry. Probably evolved as a curry after loads of immigration and travel stories. Not many people new macaroni when we were growing up in India. We have a rich cuisine. Use a lot of nuts, milk, mawa while cooking. They love to throw dinners, parties and have a huge circle of friends unlike what may be portrayed in Bollywood.
Sindhi tairi ingredients
Sindhi tairi step wise
1.Fry cashews and keep it aside.
2.Cook jaggery until it melts.
3.Add spices and cook.
4.Add remaining ingredients with water, cover & cook.
Read the recipe Sindhi Tairi
Sindhi Tairi-Sweet jaggery rice
- 1 ½ cup rice soaked for 20 minutes in water
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil if vegan
- 1 tbsp saunf or fennel seeds
- ¼ cup kaju or cashews
- ¼ cup draksh black raisins + kishmish(raisins)
- 6-7 chopped dates
- 5-7 strands of kesar or saffron soaked in milk/water if vegan
- ½ cup jaggery
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3-¼ cups of water
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add the cashews,fry them until golden brown and keep it aside.
- Add jaggery to the pan, cook for 2 minutes or until jaggery is caramalized
- Now,add cinnamon,fennel seeds and cook for 2 minutes
- Add dates and raisins.
- Cook until the mixture is well combined
- Add rice and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients, add 3 ¼ cups of water .
- Cover the pot and let it boil
- Add cashews,saffron.Cook until all water is evaporated or rice is cooked.
- Serve hot with Saibhaji https://www.secondrecipe.com/sai-bhaji/
Looking for easy rice recipes?
- Tomato rice
- Curd rice
- Raw mango rice
- Thoom ware chawar
- Bhugga chawal
- Click Sindhi Recipes for additional Sindhi recipes.
Finally click video for more recipe videos.