Sewiyan or vermicelli is the desi noodle dish. Seviyan Upma is actually a healthy fast food. Easy to cook and nutritious. You can cook it within 15 mins. Vermicelli contains wheat durum just like thick pasta. We cook it al dente' for best results. It is similar to a thin spaghetti. This is also called as bambino seviyan due to the company that sells the raw seviyan/noodle in India.
Vermicelli contains suji or semolina. However nowadays there are multiple options that are available for vermicelli that include millets as the core ingredient.
Recipe of vermicelli is quite simple. You can make both a sweet and a savoury out of it Whether its wheat, lentil based or rice based, it makes some great dishes. Use rice vermicelli in making the idiyappam side dish and falooda. Who has not eaten payasam or seviya kheer? Roasted vermicelli is awesome as a kheer .Another great sevai recipe is Seyun patata. This is Sindhi breakfast which is made from vermicelli without milk. We serve it with fried potatoes. Some people use it even in Middle east to make yum desserts. It resembles a bird's nest when roasted in ghee and sweetened with sugar.
Below is however a tangy recipe of upma with this versatile ingredient.
Flavor variations to seviyan upma
You can change the flavor easily if you get bored with normal one. Add carrots, shallots, peas and capsicum.
Also add tomatoes, lemon or yogurt dip for tangy flavor. You may even add grated coconut and fried cashews and make it extra special.
I find it a healthy alternative to noodles and paranthas. Also, a great way to feed veggies to picky kids.
Nowadays, it is also a regular feature at tea time. You can find this in the menu of various canteens. Many offices and Udupi restaurant have it on their daily fare. Easy on the go breakfast for many students and office goers.
Instructions to make vermicelli upma
- Roast the vermicelli.
- Temper onion and ginger in oil in a pan.Avoid onion to make a Jain version.
- Add chopped veggies as per your choice.
- Once they soften,add vermicelli and water.
- Let it come together. Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Interested in more Similar recipes ?
Read the bambino recipe below
Sewiyan Upma - Veg Vermicelli
- 1 cup vermicelli with 1tbsp. oil
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ piece of ginger diced
- Few curry leaves
- 1 onion chopped length wise (Do not add for Jain vermicelli upma)
- 1 medium sized carrot chopped finely
- ½ cup chopped beans
- 2 small tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp. corn kernels
- ½ cup peas fresh or frozen(thawed)
- Salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- In a pan, add 1tbsp oil, roast vermicelli until golden brown in colour.
- Add 2 tbsp. oil and add ginger,chillies,mustard seeds with Onion
- Add remaining veggies and cook until soft
- Add spiced,roasted vermicelli and 2 cups of water
- Cover and cook until completely dry.
- Turn off the heat,add lemon juice before serving
- In another pan,heat oil add cashews and roast them till they are slightly brown.
- Remove cashews and keep it aside for garnish.
- Now, add mustard seeds,ginger,chillies, curry leaves,urad and channa dal.
- Add onions and saute them till they turn pinkish.
- Add carrot and saute for 2-3 mins.
- Add tomatoes and green peas and 1 tablespoon salt.
- Saute till tomatoes soften.
- Add red chillly powder and turmeric and mix well.
- Now add vermicelli to this veggie mix and add a pinch of salt.
- Mix well and garnish this with cashews and add a dash of lime.
- Remove it from the pan and serve hot.
You can add desiccated coconut along with peas for a variation.This will add more fibre to the recipe.
Serve hot with tea/coffee/badam milk.
Please share your inputs..