‘Sewiyan’ or vermicelli is the desi noodle.’Sewiyan Upma’ is actually a healthy fast food. Easy to cook and nutritious.You can cook it within 15 mins.Vermicelli contains wheat durum.We cook it al dente’ for best results.
You can change the flavor easily.Add carrots,shallots,peas and capsicum.Also addd tomatoes, lemon or yogurt dip for tangy flavor.
I find it a healthy alternative to noodles and paranthas. Also, a great way to feed veggies to picky kids.Nowadays,it is also a regular feature at tea time.You can find this in the menu of various canteens.
Scroll below to read the recipe of Sewiyan Upma
- 1 cup vermicelli
- 2 cups of water
- 1 onion chopped length wise
- 1 medium sized carrot chopped finely
- 2 small tomatoes diced
- 1 bowl of frozen peas thawed
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 piece of ginger diced
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp bengal gram or channa dal
- 1 tsp split black gram or urad dal
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp turmeric optional
- Few cashews roasted for garnishing.
- In a pan heat 2-3 cups of water till it comes to a boil.
- Add vermicelli with a drop of oil and a pinch of salt.
- Let it soften for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In another pan,heat oil add cashews and roast them till they are slightly brown.
- Remove cashews and keep it aside for garnish.
- Now, add mustard seeds,ginger,chillies, curry leaves,urad and channa dal.
- Add onions and saute them till they turn pinkish.
- Add carrot and saute for 2-3 mins.
- Add tomatoes and green peas and 1 tbsp salt.
- Saute till tomatoes soften.
- Add red chillly powder and turmeric and mix well.
- Now add vermicelli to this veggie mix and add a pinch of salt.
- Mix well and garnish this with cashews and add a dash of lime.
- Remove it from the pan and serve hot.
- You can add desiccated coconut along with peas for a variation.This will add more fibre to the recipe.
- Serve hot with tea/coffee/badam milk.
Click here to see more snack recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos from our channel Secondrecipe.