Easy & healthy breakfast recipes are a must for the rush hour. It is always said you should start your day with a good meal. However, it is here that most people get disarray. Not eating breakfast on time, results in headaches, acidity and even migraine. Indian breakfast recipes help you eat a balanced diet too. You need not have fried stuff daily but steamed idli, dhokla low oil upma dosa help you have a good breakfast daily.Indian veg recipes has a perfect mix of everything. Yes, everything is important whether its vitamins and minerals or carbohydrates, proteins and fat. Everything in a limited quantity is good for the body else it results in cravings. You do not need to have eggs and milk for a complete meal. There are lots of veggies and fruits which help you achieve the target.
Some people take tea or coffee empty stomach. This leads to acidity over a period of time. Always have something to eat when you have your cuppa. You need them to cook fast and taste good even when you are in a hurry. Good food makes a great start for the day. If you do not have time to cook in the morning, have a bowl of overnight oats or any Indian breakfast recipe. At least eat something rather than staying hungry. It is quite a long gap from the time you have eaten dinner and staying hungry as you go working along with routine only increases acidity.
At our home, we do not believe in food wastage, hence if we have left over rice or flatbread, we temper them with some spices and use it as a breakfast on next day.
You can temper with any spices, the core of the being
- Mustard seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Curry leaves
See the recipe below which is both vegan and gluten-free and an example of using left over rice.
- 1.5 cup cooked rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp urad dal/split black gram soaked in water for 20 mins and drained
- 1 tbsp channa dal/split bengal gram soaked in water for 20 mins and drained
- ¼ cup peanuts
- ¼ cup cashews optional
- Generous pinch of heeng/asafoetida Avoid if gluten-free
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp ginger
- 3 sprigs of curry leaves
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 dried red chilli
- Salt as per taste
- Cook rice and keep it aside. Ensure they are not mushy.
- Add turmeric and lemon juice to rice, keep it aside.
- In a pan,heat oil and and saute peanuts, keep it aside.
- Add mustard seeds,let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves followed by chillies and soaked lentils.
- Let it roast.Add asafoetida & ginger
- Add peanuts,rice and mix well
- Serve hot.
You may also use left over rice for this recipe.Only add the lemon mix to it.
Click here to see another interesting flatbread recipe eaten for breakfast -Besani.