Seyun Patata or sewiyan aloo is a traditional Sindhi dish you will relish time and again. Sweet Vermicelli or seyun, is served with fried potatoes or patata for a perfect brunch. This is a typical Sindhi breakfast on a weekend. Just like Gujaratis love jalebi fafda, we Sindhi love our seyun patata. It is extremely popular with all ages. If you were to ask anyone about any special Sindhi food then this would in the top 3 recipes. Best part of this yummy treat is a perfect balance of sweet and salty. The flavor of crispy fried potatoes compliments the sweet vermicelli perfectly.
Most communities only serve vermicelli as kheer or payasam but this is a great way to eat it Sindhi style without milk. It is somewhat similar to their use in Persia. You will find Persian sweets with fried vermicelli. Some people fry them and use it in baklava. Others fry and dip them in honey. Best part is you do not need too many steps in the recipe. Looks complex yet you can make both the sweet and sour stuff at the same time. Other easy sindhi recipes that you can make include Dal pakwan, Kali mirch koki, Onion koki , sindhi kadhi, bhuga chawar, sindhi tomato kadhi , sindhi chauthe, sindhi besani ,sindhi tairi and do not forget Khorak.
- Frying pan for seviyan
- Air fryer for low oil patata
For sweet vermicelli/seyun/sewiya
- Seviya or vermicelli
- Ghee/oil for vegan
- Elaichi /cardamom
- Red chilli powder
- Turmeric powder
- Cumin powder
- Coriander powder
- Dry mango powder
- Salt as per taste
How to make seyun patata?
You can make seviyan in a frying pan. Generally, patata is fried and this makes it fatty. However, now I love to make it in an air fryer which cuts down the oil in the recipe. Below is the recipe to make it in both the methods.
How to make Sindhi seviyan recipe?
- Heat ghee in a pan and roast seviyan for couple of minutes. You can also heat roasted seviyan for this in 1 tbsp. of ghee.
2. Add cardamom powder and mix well until its nice and brown.
3. Add water to it and stir well.
4. Now, add sugar and stir it well.
5. Let it cook until sugar is dissolved and seviyan is light and soft.
6. Keep it aside. Serve warm after garnishing with sliced almonds and cashews as per your choice.
How to make patata? (traditional method)
Traditionally patata is fried in a pan. If you want to make it in a traditional method. In a pan, heat oil and add chopped potatoes to it. Sprinkle salt and cook until it softens. Sprinkle spices and mix well. Serve with seyun.
How to make patata in air fryer?
- Soak chopped potatoes in water for 30 mins.
2. Drain the water and place it in air fryer basket. .
3. Air fry at 190 degree C for 10 mins.
4. Spray oil or brush 1 teaspoon oil and air fry for 7-8 mins.
5. Mix all the spices in a bowl.
6. Sprinkle this on air fried patata. Serve hot with sweet seviyan
My nostalgia with this breakfast
I have countless memories of this breakfast at my grandma's place. Countless cups of tea and heaps of servings of this yummy breakfast. I loved having it every other Sunday as a kid. We ate and ate until we couldn't eat any more. Simple time as childhood. No worry of calories and life's responsibilities.
When do we make seviyan aloo?
We love to serve it as a brunch on weekends. However, traditionally we serve them during special occasions like weddings, holidays and birthday and even on Shraad.
Seyun: You can make it vegan by using oil instead of ghee. You can also add few strands of saffron while cooking for a beautiful color. Patata: You can adjust the spices in patata as per your taste.
What can you make with vermicelli?
- Seviyan kheer or payasam: Kheer is a traditional dessert made with full cream milk, sugar and vermicelli.
- Seviyan upma -savoury veg vermicelli : This is a south Indian vegetarian breakfast recipe which is served with coconut chutney or tomato pachadi.
Read the recipe of Seyun Patata recipe below
Sewiyan aloo/Seyun Patata recipe
- frying pan for seviyan
- Air fryer for low oil patata if you do not want to fry them as in traditional method.
For sweet vermicelli/ seyun
- 150 gm seviya or vermicelli
- 3 tbsp. ghee/oil for vegan
- 2 teaspoon elaichi/cardamom
- 2 cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4-5 Almonds blanched and peeled (Optional)
- 3-4 Pistachios crushed Optional
For patata/ Sindhi style crispy potatoes
- 2 medium potatoes chopped
- Heat ghee in a pan and roast seviyan for couple of minutes. You can also heat roasted seviyan for this in 1 tablespoon of ghee.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well until its nice and brown.
- Add water to it and stir well.
- Now, add sugar and stir it well.
- Cover the pan. Let it simmer on a low flame until sugar is dissolved and seviyan is light and soft.
- Keep it aside. Serve warm after garnishing with sliced almonds and cashews as per your choice. Serve with fried potatoes in a plate.
For air fryer patata/aloo
- Soak chopped potatoes in water for 30 mins.
- Drain the water and place it in air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 190 degree C for 10 mins.
- Spray oil or brush 1 teaspoon oil and air fry for 7-8 mins.
- Mix all the spices in a bowl.
- Sprinkle this on air fried patata in a bowl. Serve hot with sweet seviyan.
Seviyan is also called as shyavige or santhakai. Also known as vermicelli.