Seyun Patata-Sweet Vermicelli with fried potatoes is a typical Sindhi breakfast.
Extremely popular with all ages.This is must have Sindhi recipe in all Sindhi kitchens.If you were to ask anyone about any special Sindhi breakfast recipe then this would in the Top 3 recipes .
Best part of this yummy treat is a perfect balance of sweet and salty.
The flavor of crispy potatoes compliments the sweet vermicelli.
Also,you can make it vegan by using oil instead of ghee.
Most communities only serve vermicelli as kheer or payasam but this is a great way to eat it.
Somewhat similar to their use in Persia.Some people fry them and use it in baklava.
Others fry and dip them in honey.
My nostalgia with this breakfast
I have countless memories of this breakfast at my grandma's place.
Countless cups of tea and heaps of servings of this yummy breakfast.
I loved having it every other Sunday as a kid.
We ate and ate until we couldn't eat any more.
Simple time as childhood.
No worry of calories and life's responsibilities.
Best part is you do not need too many steps in the recipe.Looks complex yet you can make both the sweet and sour stuff at the same time.
When do we make this?
We serve them during special occasions like weddings,holidays and birthday and even on Shraad.
Scroll below to read the recipe of Seyun Patata
Seyun Patata-Sweet Vermicelli with fried potatoes
- frying pan
For sweet vermicelli
- 200 gm seviya or vermicelli
- ¼ cup ghee/oil for vegan
- 2 tsp elaichi/cardamom
- 2.5 cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Almonds blanched and peeled (Optional)
- 3-4 Pistachios crushed Optional
- Heat ghee in a pan. Roast the vermicelli and slightly crushed green cardamoms, on low flame.
- Stir fry it stirring continuously till vermicelli are evenly golden brown.
- Now add water slowly.
- Add a pinch of salt and saffron.
- Cover the pan and simmer to cook.
- When the vermicelli is almost done, add sugar and mix well.
- Simmer it on low flame until the water is fully absorbed and sugar is no longer visible.
- Add saffron and cook for a minute.
- Garnish with crushed pistachios and almonds.
- Serve with fried potatoes.
Click here to see more Sindhi recipes.
Click here to watch additional recipe videos from our youtube channel "secondrecipe".