Seyun Patata (Sweet Vermicelli with fried potatoes) is a typical Sindhi breakfast.
Extremely popular with all ages.
Has a perfect balance of sweetness of vermicelli and salty crispy fried potatoes.
When do we make it?
We serve them during special occasions like weddings,holidays and birthday and even on Shraad.
Saute’ roasted vermicelli in a spoonful ghee and cardamom.
Later, boil them in sugar syrup.
Cook potatoes on slow heat, in a non stick pan with very little olive oil.
You can also saute’ boiled potatoes with some dry spices.
Scroll below to read the recipe of Seyun Patata (Sweet Vermicelli with fried potatoes)
- 2-3 tbsp Ghee/ use oil for vegan option
- 2 cups thin Vermicelli
- 3 cups Water
- 4 Green Cardamoms
- 1 cup Sugar
- Pinch of Saffron (Optional)
- Pinch of Salt
- Almonds (blanched and peeled) (Optional)
- 3-4 Pistachios crushed (Optional)
- 6 medium-sized Potatoes, diced into small 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1-1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Dry mango powder(Amchoor)
- Salt to taste
- Heat ghee in a pan. Roast the vermicelli and slightly crushed green cardamoms, on low flame.
- Stir fry it stirring continuously till vermicelli are evenly golden brown.
- Now add water slowly.
- Add a pinch of salt and saffron.
- Cover the pan and simmer to cook.
- When the vermicelli is almost done, add sugar and mix well.
- Simmer it on low flame until the water is fully absorbed and sugar is no longer visible.
- Add saffron and cook for a minute.
- Garnish with crushed pistachios and almonds.
- Serve with fried potatoes
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Now add cubed potatoes and salt.
- Cover and cook potatoes on slow flame until they soften.
- They should be golden and crusty from outside and properly cooked from inside.
- Remove the excess of oil from the pan.
- Sprinkle the spices and mix them evenly.
- 1. Different varieties and brands of vermicelli require different amount of water and time to cook.
- 2.Thicker the vermicelli may require more time and water.
- 3. Add a pinch of salt to enhance the flavor of a sweet dish