What is Vegetable Manchurian?
Vegetable Manchurian is a fabulous fusion of Indo-Chinese cuisine. It is a fabulous starter. Goes well with fried rice as well as Hakka noodles. Spicy and tangy and favorite with all age-groups. Most people love to order it. You can make it dry or even with gravy. There are various types of Manchurian - gobi, baby corn, vegetable, paneer and chicken.
Mum makes it really great. She has served it in so many parties. Moms are super cool. They keep learning just to ensure kids eat healthy. We loved eating Indo-Chinese as a kid. So she just learned it and made it at home
However, when we eat out, it is not possible to control the ingredients.
Indo-Chinese cuisine in hotel industry uses MSG(or Ajinomoto) and corn flour in their recipes. However, some people are allergic to it. Others may want to avoid it due to dietary restrictions. Another issue, deep fried and low quality oil in markets.
What do you eat with Manchurian?
Healthy home-cooked Indo-Chinese:
When you make it at home, we can still get the same taste and make it healthy too.
We used maize flour(instead of corn flour) in this recipe. Also we have steamed vegetable cubes.
Hence, it adds nutritional value to the recipe without changing the taste.
So make this on a special Friday night and Enjoy!!
how to make Manchurian ?
- Chop the ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients for the batter.
2. Add water to get the batter ready.
3. Add the chopped veggies.
4. Add it to a pan for steaming.
5. Steam for 20 minutes. Cut into pieces.
6. Sauté in 2-3 tbsp. oil for few minutes.
how to make Manchurian gravy ?
7. Start cooking vegetables for the gravy in a wok.
8. Add the Manchurian pieces.
9. Add water and sauces. Garnish with green onion.
Ensure you cook and wait for sauce to dry to serve a dry style of veg manchurian.
Scroll below to read the recipe of vegetable manchurian
- ½ cup maida/plain flour
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- Spring onions 4 stalks Reserve 1 stalk for garnish
- ½ cup green capsicum chopped
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp black pepper grounded
- Salt to taste
For the gravy
- 1 tbsp maize flour
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- ½ inch piece of ginger
- 3 inch piece celery
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar I use apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp red chilly powder/chilly flakes optional
- ½ vegetable stock soup cube
- 2 tbsp oil
- Mix all vegetables for manchurian, with salt and minimal water.
- Lay the mix in a utensil and steam for 20 minutes.
- Once steamed,allow to cool for 10 minutes and cut into squares.
- Mix some water with corn flour,maida and dip vegetable squares one by one.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep-fry or shallow fry these vegetable cubes one by one.
- Keep it aside on a paper napkin so that excess oil can be removed.
For the gravy
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic,ginger,green onions to it.
- Add green capsicum and celery pieces along with salt and chilly flakes to it.
- Add vinegar and soy sauce and mix well/
- Now,add maize flour to 1 cup water and mix well.
- Add maize mixture along with soup cube and let it come to a boil.
- Add the vegetable cubes to the mix and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with some green onions.
Click here to read additional recipes.
Also, click here to view recipe videos.