Turai Dal chawar-Ridge gourd lentil meal is a simple tasty combo.Light on the stomach and easy to digest.This curry is an easy combination of mixing veggies with lentils.This Sindhi recipe is made with Chana dal,which is very similar to Gujarati recipe made with moong dal /Turia mag ni dal.Add a dash of lemon, when you serve.It will help increase the taste and also let you absorb your iron in the meal.You can eat it for lunch or dinner anytime.Ridge gourd aids weight-loss.I love pairing it with roti or brown rice.You can also use bottle gourd or ivy gourd for a similar curry if you do not have turai handy.
Of course if you love dairy,you can add a hint of ghee else temper with sunflower oil for a vegan meal.'Chana Dal' or yellow split lentils gives a great base to ridge gourd.Thus,it is an ideal combination of lentils and veggies.You can eat with both a flat bread or with rice.Serve it with some chunda,fried poppadums and fresh salad.
Widget not in any sidebars
Turai recipes/Turiya vegetable/Dodka are very easy on stomach.
Whether you make it nijji (making only in ghee,black pepper and jeera tempering) or just in some onion tomato gravy.
It tastes great with both rice and roti.
Tip: When you peel and cut your gourd.Always taste a small piece. If it is bitter, the whole curry will turn bitter.No amount of spices can then save that curry.
Read the recipe of Turai Dal chawar below:
Turai Dal chawar-Ridge gourd lentil meal
- 1 cup 'chana dal' or yellow split pea lentils
- 1 kg 'turai' or ridge gourd pieces resulting in 600 grams
- 2-3 large tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp jeera or cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- Pinch of heeng or asafoetida
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- Salt as per taste
- Dash of lemon
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water for cooking
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes
- ½ onion sliced lengthwise
- Dash of lemon
Fried popaddums or papad
- Cook a cup of rice with 2 cups of water. Keep it aside.
- Slice onions and cherry tomatoes for salad.Serve fresh with curry and dash of lime
- Soak chana dal (yellow split lentils) for 25 mins.
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add ginger garlic paste(you can add crushed ginger/garlic if you don't have a handy paste) and mix well.
- Add a pinch of asafaoetida along with spices and salt.
- Mix well.(Toasting spices will give it a fresh flavor however,you may spices after cooking ridge gourd )
- Add onions and saute it till they turn pink.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for few minuttes till they are soft.
- Add ridge gourd pieces along with some salt and let it cook,till they soften and release some water.
- Now add chana dal along with 2 cups of water and some salt
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Serve hot with rice and salad with a dash of lemon and chunda.
Looking for more dal recipes?