Pakoras or chickpea flour fritters are a thing of joy. Rainy day calls for a plate of crispy pakoras. There are different types of pakoras. Be it bread pakora, mirchi bajji, moong dal bhajiye or onion pakora. Aloo pakora, palak pakora, Gujarati methi gota, double fried Sindhi sanna pakoda or healthier air fried onion pakoras.
All pakoda recipes are a crowd favorite. However, the only vice of this street food is the high oil content in it. It is deep fried which is hardly healthy in any way. There is no issue in eating hot pakoras once a while as a teatime snack. The thing with mix pakoras is, ye dil maange more!
You want to eat hot pakodas in every season. Whether it's raining or cold, hot crispy pakoda and hot cup of tea is welcome even on a sunny afternoon. Here is a way to enjoy this yummy treat without worrying about these extra calories! Yes, they are as crispy as the fried ones if you were wondering. Serve your air fryer cabbage pakoda with tomato sauce or mint chutney.
can you air fry pakora?
We tried to make pakode in air-fryer many times until we cracked this perfect recipe. Earlier the batter would stick to the grill. Sometimes it felt a bit raw. At times it was a little soft. What is a pakora without the crunch, right? We finally had an idea, to use muffin liners instead of putting the batter on the basket grill on parchment paper. Scroll over the instructions below to make the perfect crispy onion pakoda and you will never be disappointed.
- Air fryer
- oil spray
- large mixing bowl
- perforated paper liners / muffin liners. You can cut a parchment paper as per your air fryer basket and make holes in that to allow the air to pass through or use the liners used for bamboo steamers.
- Mix veggies(cabbage, carrots, green onions)
- Red lentil flour or chickpea flour (Besan flour)
- Green chillies
- Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder
- Mint/coriander leaves / curry leaves
- Baking soda
- Salt as per taste
- Water to make thick batter
- Oil for frying
refer to recipe card for details.
How to make mix veg pakora in air fryer ?
- Finely chop the veggies (carrots,cabbage),add little salt,keep it aside for 15 minutes.
2. Add the lentil flour to the mix. I have used red lentil flour here, you may use chickpea flour/besan if you do not have it at home. Add chillies, ginger and green onion(optional).
3. Add remaining ingredients(except baking soda) with ½ the quantity of water required. Mix it.
4. Later, add the remaining water mixed with baking soda.
5. Line the air fryer basket with a baking sheet with holes/steamer sheet.
Scoop spoonful of mixture to fill the basket. Spray or brush oil before they start to cook.
6. In a preheated air fryer(10 minutes at 190C) ,air fry the pakoras on 190 deg C/375F for 10 mins.
7. Place them in the air fryer basket without the baking sheet. Spray oil and cook further at 190C/375F for 5 mins. Then turn over and cook again for 4-5 minutes or until cooked from all sides. Total cook is of 20 minutes.
7. Serve air fryer pakoras hot with chutney.
Air fryer mix pakora recipe | air fryer cabbage pakoda recipe
- parchment paper or muffin cups.
- oil spray
- Finely chop the veggies (carrots, cabbage). Add little salt and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Add the lentil flour to the mix. I have used red lentil flour here, you may use chickpea flour/besan. Add chillies, ginger and green onion(optional).
- Add remaining ingredients(except baking soda) with ½ the quantity of water required. Mix it well.
- Add the remaining water mixed with baking soda.
- Line the air fryer basket with a baking sheet with holes/steamer sheet.Scoop spoonful of mixture to fill the basket. Spray or brush oil before they start to cook.
- In a preheated air fryer(10 minutes at 190C) ,air fry the pakoras on 190 deg C/375F for 10 mins.
You may add chopped potatoes, shredded cabbage to the recipe to make vegetable pakoras. Click here to make double fried sanna pakoda or Sindhi pakode in the traditional style. Dunk the air fried pakoras in kadhi to make yummy Punjabi dahi ki kadi. That's my go to recipe whenever I m bored of cooking or have a big bowl of yogurt at home.
If you do not have red lentil flour at home. Use a Vitamix or a spice grinder to dry grind red lentils. You can also use a frying pan to make this recipe if you do not have air fryer. Use red chilli powder instead of green chillis. You can also use curry powder if you do not have turmeric powder at home.
Cook them partially if you want to store them for the next day. On that day, finish you cooking by cooking them.
Yes, just air fry them for 2-3 mins at 160 deg C after preheating the air fryer.
Yes, here is a list of Indian recipes you can easily make in air fryer.
Conclusion: Enjoy your tea time snack cravings with a healthier air fried cabbage bhajiya instead of deep frying them.