Ezogelin soup (bride soup) is a great example of Turkish cuisine's usage of vegetables. It is very similar to Turkish red lentil soup except that lentil soup is smooth while ezogelin is grainy due to addition of rice and bulgur. This hearty soup closely resembles Indian dal khichdi and lentil soup. You can serve it with some lemon juice on top. Vitamin C in lemon wedges helps absorb iron in red lentils. Dash of black pepper will also help soothe sore throats and help avoid cold when winter is at its peak.
Here are some easy soup recipes you can enjoy when weather is cold and lazy. Mushroom barley soup and Minestrone soup are soulful dishes. If you love Asian flavor, Vegan Manchow soup and veg wonton soup are a great option. If you love Indian flavors, you will enjoy eating venn pongal (savory) and shakkara pongal (sweet) apart from brown rice khichdi as one pot meals.
- rice, lentil & bulgar, soaked for few hours
- garlic cloves
- red bell peppers
- dried mint powder
- cumin powder
- red paprika or pul biber
See recipe card for quantities.
Heat olive oil and cook onions and ginger -garlic until they turn brown.
Puree tomatoes and red pepper. Add this red pepper paste to onions.
Continue to cook on medium flame
Cook until the puree has reduced and is little dark in color.
Add flour and salt to the pot.
Now add spices and give it a stir.
7. Add the rice ,bulgar and lentil mix.
8. Add water, cover and cook until the bulgar has cooked.Once cooked, garnish with lemon juice and serve warm
Hint: A teaspoon pul biber will give you an authentic taste to this recipe.
If you do not have ½ teaspoon pul biber (Aleppo pepper / or Turkish red pepper flakes), add ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes mixed with ¼ teaspoon paprika. Adjust according to your taste. You can even add vegetable stock to this recipe instead of water if you have it handy.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish, or banana peppers
- Deluxe - You may add crispy onions on top and lemon wedges. You can also add some thyme to the soup if you donot want to add ginger-garlic.
- Kid friendly - You may add more vegetables like green peas, green beans and carrots.
- Le crueset pot / deep saucepan
- food processor
- mixing bowl
Store this in an air-tight container in refrigerator. Good for 2-3 days. You can also freeze them for later.
Always reheat your leftovers before consumption.
It is believed that Ezo used to make this soul-warming soup in a desperate effort to win over her mother-in-law's cold heart.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
Turkish Ezogelin soup recipe
- Le crueset casserole or any deep saucepan
- Vitamix blender or any blender / food processor to puree
- ⅓ cup rice soaked for few hours
- ⅓ cup bulgur wheat soaked for few hours
- ⅓ cup red lentils soaked for few hours
- 1 onion, small
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 piece ginger
- 2 red capsicums medium
- 2 tomatoes medium
- ½ tbsp. dried mint powder
- ½ tbsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. red paprika powder
- salt and black pepper as per taste
- 6 cups water add 4 cups at start, add 2 cups later if required.
- Heat olive oil and cook onions and ginger -garlic until they turn brown.
- Puree tomatoes and red pepper. Add this red pepper paste to onions.Continue to cook until the puree has reduced.
- Add flour along with salt to the pot.Now add spices and give it a stir.
- Add the rice ,bulgar and lentil mix. Add water, cover and cook until the bulgar has cooked.Once cooked, garnish with lemon juice and serve warm
- Serve Turkish Ezogelin soup hot with or without Turkish flatbreads.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Conclusion: Turkish Ezogelin soup is a healthy one pot meal for a cold winter days.