Vegan Spinach soup or palak soup is an easy recipe to up your Iron content in the long run. It is full of nutrients and delicious too. This Indian style dish is both vegan and gluten-free. Easy meals are great for both kids and adults. These days we are already tired working and sitting online. 2020 onwards everything has changed. Our routines, health and even the way we think. Eating a light meal will ensure our waistlines stay the same.
Usually, people have a palak shorba or cream of spinach when they go out. This is an easy spinach soup. Also, perfect when you are lazy to cook. You can pair it with some veggie dog or a mushroom black bean burger for a hearty meal. Other vegan soups include Carrot tomato soup , lentil soup, pumpkin soup, white bean soup , wonton soup , Asparagus soup , broccoli soup ,manchow soup ,corn soup , minestrone soup , grilled tomato soup, Tofu soup & potato leek soup.
benefits of palak soup
- Spinach soup is great for iron and helps fight anemia.
- It is also great for weight-loss.
- Great for your gut and cleanse the body.
- Hydrates the body and thus helps your hair shine.
- Saucepan / Pressure cooker
- cauliflower florets
- spinach leaves
- olive oil
- salt as per taste
- vegetable stock powder optional
- lemon juice
- crushed black pepper
Refer to recipe card for details.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onions and ginger. Let it soften.
2. Add chopped potatoes, celery stalk and cauliflower florets and cook for few minutes. Add vegetable stock powder with water, let it come to a boil.
3. Add fresh spinach and turn off the heat. Mix the ingredients.
4. In a high speed blender or Vitamix, add the soup mix
5. Blend until you get a rich creamy soup.
6. Heat it over a medium flame. Serve after adding a dash of lemon juice and crushed black pepper to the bowl. Optionally, you can garnish with some coconut milk.
Store it in refrigerator for 2 days. Always reheat your left overs and add a dash of lemon before you serve.
vegan spinach soup recipe | palak soup recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger chopped
- 1 small potato 1 small potato= ½ cup potatoes
- 5-6 cauliflower florets 5-6 florets = 1 cup florets
- 1 celery stalk 1 celery stalk = 1 cup celery stalks
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder optional
- 4-5 cups spinach leaves chopped
- 4 cups Water
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- lemon juice as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onions ,ginger and little salt. Let it soften.
- Add chopped potatoes and cauliflower florets and cook for few minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water with soup stock, allow it come to boil.
- Add spinach and turn off the heat.
- In a high speed blender or Vitamix, add the soup mix.
- Blend until you get a rich creamy vegan spinach potato soup.
- To serve: Warm it over medium heat. Serve after adding a dash of lemon juice and crushed black pepper to the bowl
You can also make an Indian style saag soup using the below steps. In the below variation we do not add potatoes and cauliflower.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a pan along with ½ cup chopped onions, 1 tablespoon of ginger-garlic.
2. Add 2-4 chopped tomatoes.
3. Cook until tomatoes are soft.
4. Add 4 cups of greens, 2 cups water and vegetable stock powder. Cover and cook.
5. Serve hot.
You can replace half the leaves with thotakura or amaranth. You may also use methi or fenugreek instead of half of leaves. We can also make this soup with Malabar Spinach or poi saag. Although taste will vary slightly. You can also make a kale soup if you like. If you find kale bitter, add some leeks and spinach. If you do not have fresh spinach, use frozen spinach leaves. You may use a sweet potato instead of potato, the taste might slightly differ.
You can also use an immersion blender to blend this recipe if you do not have a Vitamix.
Dinner time as it helps you sleep.
Use the above steps and pressure cook until 3 whistles. Serve hot.
It is rich in iron .Hence, reduces anemia.
It helps you avoid constipation as it is full of soluble fiber.
Great for Vitamin K, magnesium and helps improve bone health.
It improves eye health and promotes heart health.
Helps ward off infection and inflammation.
Palak/saag or greens are good for gut. You can have it as a salad or even as a blueberry smoothie. Baby spinach can be blanched and kept in the refrigerator. Then, use it to make a curries. Palak curry comes with or without lentils too. Palak paneer, sarson ka saag,undhiyu. For lentil rich recipes - amaranth dal / thotakura pappu, poi saag, sata bhajiyun, sai bhaji or dal palak are all great for Iron.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation.
Please share your inputs..