Manchow soup or manchurian soup is one of the most ordered varieties of soups. You can find a a fan-following of both vegetarian and non-vegetarian style. It is a great appetizer full of flavor. This is Indo Chinese soup at its best.
Although it is named after Manchuria region, it has nothing to do with the actual cuisine of that place. However, it has something for everyone. Fried noodles, sweet, sour, spice. Very much like life. Full of flavor yet things never remain the same in your bowl. You will always see your world change as the time goes by. Sometimes according to your taste, otherwise you are just watching time goes by.
What is Vegetarian manchurian soup made of?
Finely chopped greens and veggies boiled in stock and water along with soy and sweet chilly sauce makes it very likable. It is served with fried noodles making it a great meal. It is perfect when you catch a cold or are depressed.
Soups are great for a light dinner with some bread. Most people get stuck at tomato, but soups need not be boring. This Indo Chinese vegetarian soup recipe will win your heart too. Yes, some years back I wouldn't agree too. But now I do. You can have it daily and still not get bored. Yes, you too can find one more reason to have it the next day. I love having them on a cold wintry night and when it rains.
Some days eating healthy is better than having something fried. Having soups few nights of the month makes you have your pakodas/fritters with lesser guilt. If you are looking for a weight loss or just wanna have some change from daily cooking.
Have a break and eat light!
Which soup is best for cold?
I love having both to avoid catching a cold. The amount of spices and chilli does help you avoid the cold when it is cold and rainy outside. They are tangy and full of flavor changing your taste in the mouth when you have your infection.
- Onion, Veggies(cabbage, beans, capsicum)
- Ginger, garlic, chillies
- Soup stock
- Thickener (rice flour or corn flour or flax seed meal)
- Sauces (Chilli, Soy, Sweet chilli, Vinegar)
- Manchow Soup noodles (fried noodles)
1.Saute the vegetables(onion, carrot and cabbage) with little salt.
2.Saute the capsicum for few minutes.
3. Add 1 ltr. water and stock powder,allow it to boil.
4.Add all sauces except the soy sauce
5. Add the rice flour mixed with water, continue to cook and stir.
6. Add Soy sauce, boil and turn off heat.Adjust salt & pepper as per taste.
Store the soup separately in an air-tight container for 2-3 days in refrigerator. You can keep the noodles at room temperature.
I love pairing it with some manchurian and Hakka noodles. Vegetable manchurian, Gobi Manchurian or Soya chilli also works great as a vegan starter. Paneer manchurian/Chilli paneer if you are a vegetarian. Desi Chinese cuisine works any weekend! You can also make it with some oven roasted veggies and veg fried rice.
Read the recipe below:
Veg manchow soup recipe
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic-ginger-chilli paste
- ¼ cup beans chopped
- ¼ cup capsicum chopped
- ½ cup cabbage chopped
- ¼ cup soya sauce
- 2 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoon soup stock
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 ltr water
- 2 tablespoon rice flour/corn flour with ¼ cup water
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan,add onion,ginger,garlic and chillies
- Add carrot & cabbage,saute for a few minutes with little salt.
- Add capsicum,saute for a few minutes
- Add 1 ltr. water and stock powder,allow it to boil.
- Now, Add all sauces except the soy sauce.
- Add the rice flour mixed with water,continue to cook
- Add Soy sauce,boil and turn off heat.Adjust salt and pepper as per taste
- Serve hot,garnished with green onions and fried noodles
Manchow soup is an indo-chinese recipe for soup that is made with similar ingredients as that for any indo-chinese recipe such as Veg Hakka noodles, Veg manchurian. In India it is served with fried noodles.
If you are wondering how they are different? There is a very little difference between the two. Hot and sour soup has tomato ketchup added to it. We serve it without the fried Hakka noodles.
Manchow lacks the sauce but makes up with the crunch.
Click here to see more soupy recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.