Tom yum fried rice can be described in one word -Yum!
This is an easy vegan fried rice recipe which I fell in love with after having it at a Thai hawker joint in Melbourne. I love fried rice whether its broccoli turmeric rice or a simple veg fried rice. Tom yum is a slightly spicier version due to addition of chilli oil and Thai chili paste. Traditionally, Thai fried rice has shrimp paste added to it. However, the below version is a vegan one. Thai food much like Indian food is spicy and has loads of flavor.
Note: If you want to make it using market based Tom Yum paste, always check ingredients to see if it is vegan. Some instant paste have fish sauce and oyster sauce added to it.
- cooked jasmine rice (refer steps below)
- green pepper
- green onions / spring onions
- tofu ,cubed
- celery stalks,chopped
- bok choy or choy sum leaves,chopped
- neab sprouts
- salt as per taste
- sesame oil
- Tom Yum paste * or a combination of ( soy sauce , red Thai curry paste , red chilli oil)
Homemade Tom yum paste mix
I could not get a vegan tom yum paste in the store, hence I used these sauces to get similar flavors.
- Soy sauce
- Red Thai curry paste
- Red chilli oil
refer to recipe card for details
How to make jasmine rice?
- Cook ½ cup jasmine rice with 1.5 cup water in a saucepan. Let it cool once done. You can refer to packet instructions for rice. This variety of rice is slightly clumpy and has more starch than others like basmati.
How to make Tom yum fried rice?
- Heat oil in a wok and add all veggies along with tofu cubes.
- Let it cook for a few minutes.
- Mix the chilli oil, Thai curry paste and soya sauce in a bowl and add this to the wok. Cook for few minutes after adding 2-3 tablespoon water.
- Now add the rice
Add chopped green onions and choy sum leaves. Give it a stir.
- Serve hot.
- vegetarian version of this stir fry can be topped with a fried egg optionally. If you are non vegetarians, you may add protein of your choice.
- Tom yum lovers can also use leftover rice for this recipe.Add some extra firm tofu for extra protein. This will help you use day-old rice and avoid food wastage.
- You can use adjust the chilli oil according to your taste.
- You can add other veggies like snap peas, kaffir lime leaves, Chinese broccoli and green beans. You can add paste like nam prik pao or Thai chilli jam. However, that is not vegan traditionally. Garnish them with finely chopped lemongrass, Thai basil and fresh herbs optionally.
- It is always best to eat fresh. You can store them in refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Always reheat your left overs. Always refer to packet instructions for cooking of jasmine rice.
Firm tofu packet must be finished between 3-4 days once opened. If tofu smells bad or rancid, do not use it. Simply discard.
Vegan Tom Yum fried rice recipe
- wok / pan
- ½ cup jasmine rice yields, ½ cup yields 1 cup cooked rice. Cook ½ cup with ¾ cup rice
- ¾ cup water to cook the rice
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 100 gm firm tofu cut in cubes
- 1 medium carrot sliced
- ½ cup green peppers cubed
- ½ cup zucchini cubed
- 5-6 bok choy leaves chopped
- 2-3 stalks green onions chopped for garnish
- salt as per taste
Tom yum paste
- 1 tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ tbsp. red chilli oil Adjust as per taste
- Cook ½ cup Jasmine rice with 1.5 cup water in a saucepan. Let it cool once done.
- Heat oil in a wok and add all veggies or tofu cubes.
- Cook for 5 minutes on a medium/high flame.
- Mix the chilli oil, Thai curry paste and soya sauce in a bowl and add this to the wok.
- Mix and cook the veggies for 2-3 minutes after adding 2-3 tablespoon water.
- Now add the rice with green onion, bok choy/choy sum leaves, mix all ingredients well and cook for few more minutes.
- Turn off the heat, garnish with more green onion, serve hot.
It has classic flavors of lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, fresh lime juice and Thai chillies.
Generally, Thai fried rice has fish paste while Chinese has soy sauce. Both however have the same ingredients rice, protein, egg and veggies.
Yes it is slightly spicy. However, you can adjust the spice levels according to your taste.
cold cooked rice and a very hot wok or big pan.