Massaman vegan curry is one of the easy recipes that you can make for a weeknight dinner. It is full of flavor and has a great chewy texture. you can serve it with veg fried rice or tom yum fried rice. It goes well with cauliflower rice and brown rice too. Thai and Indian cuisines have quite a similarity, after all the culture is similar too. Variety of vegetables cooked along with spice blend in a creamy coconut milk base. No wonder Malay and Thai restaurant is a go-to restaurant option for many.
I love Thai cuisine. It is flavorful and can be enjoyed by the whole family. You can make a mild curry for kids and add some extra chilies to make it red hot for those who can handle spice. You may make your own curry paste to make this aromatic curry. However, if you are in a rush, you can always use a Massaman paste or Thai red curry paste which can be bought from local store.
Note: Some traditional massaman curry pastes have shrimp paste and fish sauce in it. Hence, always check the ingredients while buying it from local grocery store.
- Bell peppers/capscicum
- vegan massaman curry paste
- olive oil / vegetable oil
- coconut milk
See recipe card for quantities.
Here are the simple instructions to make this curry.
Heat oil in a pot. Add chopped peppers/capsicum with little salt. Let it soften.
Add tofu pieces to it
Let it cook for a few minutes,Add 2-3 tbsp. vegan Massaman curry paste to it.
Mix the curry mix with tofu and veggies.
Cook for 3-4 minutes and then add coconut milk.
Add water and let it come to a boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes. Serve hot with jasmine rice or vegan naan.
Hint: Wash and pat dry mushrooms or just rub them with a damp cloth so that they don't end up rubbery.
- You may cook this recipe in an instant pot or pressure cook it if you want.
- Non-vegetarian - You can always add your choice of meat to this recipe.
- You can also make massaman curry paste at home. Refrigerate it an airtight container for later.
- Vegetarian - You can even add some paneer to give it an Indian twist to this vegetarian massaman curry recipe.
- You can use veggies like frozen bell peppers, carrots and even mushrooms to make this quick curry.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish.
- Deluxe - You can add some chopped kale, red onion and baby corn to it.
- Kid friendly - add some snow peas, green beans, carrots and potatoes or sweet potatoes whatever is available.
- Use full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream along with some vegetable broth if you do not have light coconut milk.
- Dutch oven / frying pan / large pot
- food processor optional
This curry lasts 3-4 days in refrigerator. You can also freeze this curry in an air tight container. Just thaw and reheat before you serve.
Serve this curry with some air fryer onions on top and chopped peanuts, along with your favorite rice recipe.
It is creamier and yet less spicy than other Thai curries like green Thai curry or red Thai curry.
Delicious Massaman curry is a fusion of Thai food and Indian-style curry. They combine a red-style curry paste (Thai influence) and dry whole spices like cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg which comes from Indian cuisine. Another essential ingredient is roasted peanuts or peanut butter, which add an extra layer of richness and texture to the curry.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
vegan thai massaman curry | Vegan massaman curry recipe
- Pot / Le cruset pot / frying pan / stock pot
- Heat oil in a pot. Add chopped peppers with little salt. Let it soften.
- Add the tofu pieces. Let it cook for a few minutes.
- Add 2-3 tbsp. vegan massaman curry paste to it.
- Let it cook for a few minutes.
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes. Serve hot with jasmine rice or vegan naan.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove