Gobi Manchurian is a real crowd pleaser. It’s got crispy cauliflower coated in a delicious sauce. Delicious! Normally this dish is deep-fried when served as streetfood. However, making this recipe healthier, calls for an air-fryer or baking in an oven. Airfryer and baking give you yummy, crispy fried cauliflower florets with lesser oil and with lesser calories.
Dry gobi Manchurian can be an appetizer or main dish in gravy, and you can make it however you like. You can make it with gravy by adding cornstarch and water to the sauce, or you can throw in your own veggies to create something special. I call it the most satisfying of all air fryer recipes as it took us sweet time to perfect it.
This Indo Chinese recipe was inspired by my air fryer chilli paneer recipe on this site, and pairs well with both vegan hakka noodles and vegan fried rice. Other air fryer asian recipes include air fried soy curls, air fried tofu nuggets & crispy air fried tofu.
what is gobi manchurian dry made of?
To make this dish, you will need cauliflower florets, cornstarch, all-purpose flour, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger garlic paste, green onions, and a variety of spices. Traditionally, fried cauliflower Manchurian is made by deep frying coated cauliflower florets with a slurry and adding it to a tangy sauce. This is then cooked in a wok or deep pan over medium heat. Here, I have made the sauce with soy sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, and chili garlic sauce, giving it a tangy and spicy flavour. This is added to air fried florets to give it the same flavor.
Air fried cauliflower Manchurian is yummy and can be enjoyed by everyone. Air fry it or bake it and you won't have to feel guilty. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the yummy taste of Gobi Manchurian, whether you like it baked or cooked in an Airfryer!
For air fried gobi manchurian
- fresh cauliflower florets
- corn flour
- plain flour
- red lentil flour (can be replaced with corn flour and all purpose flour/ plain flour) (It gives extra crisp texture to air fried cauliflower florets in absence of hot oil).
For cauliflower manchurian gravy
- vegetable oil or olive oil
- ginger garlic
- red pepper
- green pepper
- red chili sauce (hot or sweet as per taste)
- soy sauce
- corn flour / corn starch
- water for corn flour
- green onion
- Salt as per taste
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions for cauliflower manchurian in air fryer
Bring water to a boil in a pan, then turn off the heat. Add the cauliflower florets and let them soak in the hot water for 10 minutes. Drain the excess water.
In a bowl, mix the marinade ingredients together.
Add water to create a thick slurry.
Toss the cauliflower florets in the slurry until coated.
Pass the florets through a sieve to remove excess slurry.
Preheat an air fryer at 190C for 5 minutes. Transfer the coated florets to the air fryer basket.
Cook the florets in the air fryer for 5 minutes at 190C | 375F, then brush or spray oil on them.
Cook for an additional 13-14 minutes at 190C|375F, until the cauliflower is golden brown and crispy.
Instructions for Gobi manchurian gravy recipe
Heat oil in a pan and add sliced ginger, garlic, and onions. Mix well.
Add green and red capsicums, along with salt, and sauté for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
Add soy sauce, chili sauce to this mix. In a separate bowl, mix corn starch and water together to make a slurry. Add this to the wok.
Allow the mix to come to boil.
Add the air-fried cauliflower florets to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Turn off the heat and serve the cauliflower manchurian hot or warm.
- Instead of cauliflower, you can use broccoli or zucchini.
- Increase the heat in the above recipe, by using hot red chili sauce or extra spicy red chili powder. If you like it milder, you can use paprika instead of red chili powder.
- Don't like the sweet and spicy sauce? You can always sub it out. Maybe try teriyaki or garlic sauce.
- Gluten-free option: If you're gluten intolerant or want to eat gluten free, switch out the all-purpose flour with rice flour or gluten-free flour.
Spice up the Manchurian sauce with chili flakes or sriracha.
- Mix honey in the Manchurian sauce for a yummy flavor.
- For garlicky flavor, stir in some finely chopped garlic to the Manchurian sauce.
- Toss in toasted sesame seeds to the Manchurian sauce for a nutty taste.
- Manchurian with a twist: Spice up your Manchurian with pineapple for a unique flavor.
- Forget the cauliflower and make Tofu Manchurian. Make the tofu crispy in the air fryer and then mix it with the Manchurian sauce.
Store the chopped veggies separately. Make a quick slurry and dip the vegetables in it.
- Preparing the cauliflower: Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets and soak them in salt water for 10-15 minutes to remove any dirt or bugs.
- Combine all-purpose flour, corn flour, salt, pepper, and water to make a smooth batter. Don't make the batter too thick or too thin. Dunk the cauliflower florets in the batter and cover them completely.
- Air Fryer: Spray some oil on the basket and place the cauliflower florets in a single layer, making sure they are not touching. Shake the basket occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Sauce: In a separate pan, prepare the Manchurian sauce by sautéing garlic, ginger, green chilies, and vegetables in oil. Mix in soy sauce, chili sauce, ketchup, vinegar and sugar. Keep it going until the sauce thickens.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, mix it in the Manchurian sauce. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve up.
- Invest in a wok.
- To use your air fryer to your best potential read to our articles on preheating an airfryer, troubleshooting air fryer if it does not turn on, can you place a plate in an airfryer.
Do not overcook the cauliflower when its kept in hot water for few minutes. Try using red lentil flour in the batter while making baked gobi manchurian in air fryer.
Gobi 65 is made when we fry cauliflower florets after dipping them in plain flour coating like garam masala, turmeric powder, salt, ginger garlic paste and black pepper. Gobi Manchurian dry still has some sauce added to it. Although, I must say both are delicious, mouthwatering and finger licking good!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
gobi manchurian in air fryer | gobi Manchurian recipe
- Mixing bowl
For air fried gobi manchurian
For cauliflower manchurian gravy
- 2 tablespoon oil vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 1 tbsp. sliced ginger
- 1 tbsp. sliced garlic
- ½ medium Red capsicum diced
- ½ medium Green capsicum diced
- 2 tablespoon chilli sauce hot or sweet as per taste
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon corn flour
- ¼ cup water for corn flour
- ½ cup Green onion 1 cup,sliced
- Salt as per taste
gobi manchurian air fryer recipe
- Bring water to a boil in a pan, then turn off the heat. Add the cauliflower florets and let them soak in the hot water for 10 minutes. Drain the excess water.
- In a bowl, mix the marinade ingredients together and add water to create a thick slurry.
- Toss the cauliflower florets in the slurry until coated.
- Pass the florets through a sieve to remove excess slurry.
- Preheat an air fryer at 190C for 5 minutes. Transfer the coated florets to the air fryer.
- Cook the florets in the air fryer for 5 minutes at 190C, then brush or spray oil on them.
- Cook for an additional 13-14 minutes at 190C, until the cauliflower is golden brown and crispy.
- Keep it aside.
For gobi manchurian with gravy
- Heat oil in a pan and add sliced ginger, garlic, and onions. Mix well.
- Add green and red capsicums, along with salt, and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce,chilli sauce to this mix
- In a separate bowl, mix cornflour and water together to make a slurry,Add this to the wok
- Add the air-fried cauliflower florets to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and serve the cauliflower manchurian hot or warm.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have a good ventilation when cooking on a stove.