Merry Xmas and Happy New year in advance
Christmas is round the corner and Holiday Season too. It is a time to have some celebrations finally. Be it a small gathering of friends or just your family. It is a time to thank everyone for supporting each other. Although, we watched 2020 just pass us by. It is a time to remember the lessons learnt from the pandemic. For now, masks remain and we follow all precautions. Although, 2020 has been a long drab on all our lives. We must remember we are lucky to see another day. Here is wishing 2021 looks better. It is a time to celebrate our life. No celebration is complete without a cake.
Why do we love cakes?
Baking is a therapy. Cakes give you happy memories. We all want a cake for a pick-me-up. We love it and want it each time. No wonder so many bakers exist across the world. You may be a home-baker or a commercial one. You can never escape from a magic of a cake. Nothing speaks of Xmas, like the rich fruity plum cake. There is something magical about cakes. Be it birthday, anniversary or Xmas. Christmas cake is flavorful and rich. Most of these Christmas cake recipes have eggs, rum or alcohol. However, recipe for eggless fruit cake is easy. Vegan Christmas cake is our alcohol-free, dairy-free, egg-less cake of the original version. It is great with tea and some snacks. It is amazing to have a rich cake. You will love eating it time and again. It is just full of yum. Mwah!
This vegan fruit cake is fully loaded with healthy nuts. I love nuts be it almonds or cashews and pistachios. The more the merrier. What I love about this cake, is its rich in texture and has good amount of nuts. I love nuts and can munch on it all day. Some people think only a cake with egg gives you that flavor. Vegan cake is great in flavor too, especially this one. In fact, you will not even realize this cake is eggless and vegan unless you tell people. You can also make this as the fruit birthday cake if you cannot wait for X-mas!
If you are a teetotaler like us ,and also wanna go vegan, this is just the cake for you. Yummy and delicious! Usually people add rum to cake to give it that bitterness. However, adding fruit peels and nuts to orange juice and leaving it overnight does the trick. I do not believe we need alcohol to make things better.
My Christmas memoirs
While the world celebrates Christmas, I celebrate it with a special reason. It's my Dad's birthday. He is my Santa Claus. I also remember attending many Xmas parties at our friends place as a kid. Though we may not be in the same city anymore, those memories always stay with us. It brings us smiles from a time when things were so simple. It was a time to make merry and ring in the new year with endless parties. Even now I love to celebrate with my own group of friends. However, I am not the one for cutting trees and ham and turkeys. I had rather go with vegan fruitcake and plant based recipes for this end of year celebration. Christmas or No Christmas... You can make this cake anytime of the year. Smile and have a happy cheer!
It is my happy cake as it is egg-free and dairy free too. Vegan Christmas cake us amazing. It is good for those who got allergies yet still love their cake. Many people can't eat eggs or dairy and feel a little left out. This one has no reservations. Those who are allergic to nuts, can still make this cake with tutti fruity or fruit peels.
Finally a celebration of humans includes everyone 🙂 Yes I m yet to make a gluten-free version. That probably next Xmas.
Can you us milk if you are not vegan?
Yes. You can. If you do not have almond milk handy, you may replace it with cow's milk. Use the same quantity to make a vegetarian Xmas cake. If you do not like almonds, use cashews.
How to make vegan Christmas cake?
Heat orange juice on a low flame. Add mix dried fruits and let it come to boil.
Now, add ½ cup of chopped dried nuts.
- Cook for 5 mins, turn off the flame.
- Add sugar and allow it to cool.
- Add oil, flax seed meal, almond milk to the mix and stir. Now, start adding the flour.
- Keep mixing and adding the flour. Add more almond milk if required.
- Preheat the oven for 10 mins at 160 degree C. Add the baking soda and transfer the batter to a cake tin lined with baking sheet. Add the remaining chopped dry fruits on the cake batter.
Bake in a fan-forced oven at 160 degree C for 50-55 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow it to rest in the oven for further 10-15 minutes.
Read the vegan Christmas cake recipe below:
Vegan Christmas cake
- 1 cup orange juice with rind or apricot juice
- 1-¼ cup mixed fruits ¾ cup fruit peel,¼ cup raisins,¼ cup berries
- 1 cup dry fruits almonds,pistachio,walnut,cashew
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup flax seed meal
- 2 cup self raising flour
- ½ cup almond milk (or cow's milk for vegetarian option)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Soak mixed peel,raisins,currants in orange juice overnight.
- Heat orange juice on a low flame until it comes to boil.Turn off the heat
- Add ½ cup of mix dried fruits with sugar
- Add flax seed meal to the mix,add almond milk now.
- Start adding the flour,baking soda with oil.
- Keep mixing until there are no lumps.
- Preheat the oven for 10 mins at 160 deg C
- Transfer the batter to a cake tin lined with baking sheet.
- Add the remaining chopped dry fruits on the cake batter.
- Bake in a fan-forced oven at 160 deg C for 50-55 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow it to rest in the oven for further 10-15 minutes.
What can I bake If I don't have eggs?
There are loads of eggless cakes if you want to try. If you are still transitioning to be vegetarian and want to take baby steps before trying veganism. You may also try to bake with nut milk /oat milk instead of cow's milk in the below recipe for the vegan version.
- Double layered chocolate cake
- Chocolate marble cake
- Sugar free marble cake
- Eggless chocolate strawberry cake
- Mawa cake
Click here to see more dessert recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.