Samosa is a deep fried snack.Most people love this spicy pastry with different fillings.Vegetarians love spicy potatoes, onions and peas.Non-vegetarians love minced meat or keema samosa.Dry fruit filled samosas are popular in Mathura. Another popular version is of onion filling Patti samosa in Andhra.Baked vegan samosa is our take on it.
Benefits of this recipe:
We bake it with minimal oil.Hence low in calories but still good in taste.Especially if you make samosa chaat,you will never know the difference.
Easy to bake too.Also,you enjoy your snack without feeling so guilty.
Baking is a great way to eat better.
It also contains healthier ingredients.We use wholewheat flour too sometimes in the pastry.
If you want to bake with wholemeal, ensure you use have plain flour and half wholemeal.
However,that will not be as crisp as the normal samosa.
You may use broccoli, carrots and peas in the filling if you want it healthier for kids.Or go with normal potatoes and peas.
Although former combination of broccoli looks strange,it tastes great in a samosa
Make these in advance for any party.
Bake them just before serving.
You can store them raw for longer periods in deep freezer.
Read the recipe of baked vegan samosa
Baked vegan samosa
For samosa pastry
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp caraway/ajwain seeds
- salt to taste
- 2 cup boiled veggies potato and peas
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon garam masala or curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mango powder or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp ginger and chilli paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in pan,add ginger/chillies
- Add the boiled veggies.
- Sauté for 5 minutes, add spices, salt and pepper
- Mix the flour with salt,caraway seeds(ajwain),oil & rice flour.
- Knead the dough with 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup water to get a semi hard dough.
- Add extra flour as needed to keep from sticking to hands and board
- Place the dough in a well-oiled vessel and cover with a cloth/plastic wrap for 15 minutes.
- Take a small portion of it and roll the dough into small round shape.
- Cut it in 2 equal halves, make a cone by sticking the edges with water
- Fill the stuffing and close the cone with water.Seal the edges with a fork
- Line up the samosa in a baking tray.
- Bake the samosa in a pre-heated oven at 180 C (or 360 F) for 15 minutes(fan-forced)
- Brush/Spray with oil and bake further for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Allow to cool on rack. Serve warm.
Click here to see more vegan recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos from our youtube channel "secondrecipe"..