Sambosa or samose are a deep fried snack. Most people love this spicy pastry with different fillings. Vegetarians love spicy potato ones, onion samosa, matar samosa. Non-vegetarians love minced meat or keema .Onion or patti samosa is popular in south while nutty sweet samosas are popular in Mathura & Vrindavan. Mini samosas are also popular which have lentil and nuts as filling and stay longer. Another variation is Punjabi samosa with samosa patti sheet. These days fusion food like paneer samosa, Chinese samosa and cheese samosa are also popular.
With the advent of air fryers , traditional deep fried dishes have an option to be cooked in the airfryer. There are days when I like to get packet of frozen samosa from the store and make air fryer frozen samosa , however making them from scratch helps to control the quality of ingredients. For example not only you know the quantity of oil being added to the dough, you can ensure that you are not using palm oil in the pastry. Other snack recipes that can be prepared in the air fryer include air fryer papad, air fryer khari biscuits , air fryer kothimbir vadi,air fryer pakoras, roasted mung beans & air fryer pani puri .
Benefits of this recipe:
Initially we used to air fry frozen samosas ,though those samosas are better than the deep fried ones, however they still contain a lot of fat and plain flour (maida) . This homemade recipe is with simple pantry ingredients and we can substitite plain flour (maida) with whole wheat flour as well. We bake or air fry it with minimal oil.Hence low in calories but still good in taste.
Especially if you make samosa chaat,you will never know the difference. Easy to bake too.Also,you enjoy your snack without feeling so guilty.Baking is a great way to eat better.It also contains healthier ingredients.We use wholewheat flour too sometimes in the pastry.If you want to bake with wholemeal, ensure you use have plain flour and half wholemeal.However,that will not be as crisp as the normal samosas. For crisp samosas you can also use samosa patti to make patti samosa with Punjabi masala filling.
Make these in advance for any party.Bake them just before serving.You can store them raw for longer periods in deep freezer.This recipe for air fryer samosas is my guilt free comfort food that goes well with evening tea or coffee.
Refer to recipe card for quantity
For samosa pastry
- All-purpose flour
- Water to knead the flour
- oil for samosa dough
- oil for brushing
- caraway/ajwain seeds (optional)
- salt to taste
- cumin seeds / jeera
- Potatoes (boiled in a pot or pressure cooker or instant pot )
- ginger and chilli paste
- garam masala
- dry mango powder, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix dry ingredients with oil.
2. Mix until the floor starts coming together when pressed. Add water and knead into a semi hard dough
3. Mash the boiled potatoes, heat the oil, add spices with potatoes and peas. Keep the samosa filling aside.
4. Roll a piece of the dough ,cut into 2 pieces.
5. Make a cone out of the flattened dough / pastry
6. Fill the samosa pastry with stuffing and close from other end, using little water to moisten the edges
7.Get the samosas ready for baking / air frying
8.For baking in oven ,Place them on a baking sheet , bake in the oven
How to make samosa in air fryer?
- Place the samosas in air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry samosas in a pre-heated air fryer for 20-25 minutes at 180C. Brush oil over them after every 5-6 minutes for crispy texture.
Note: If you are mixing whole meal flour i.e. atta with plain flour i.e. maida, then the samosas will loose the crispness after a few hours.
Tips for crispy samosa
- Do not add more water to the dough, it should be of semi hard consistency
2. Pastry / dough made of plain flour will result in more crispy recipe.
3. if you replace part of dough with wholemeal flour i.e. atta,serve them immediately else they will loose their crispyness
4. The stuffing should not be wet as well
5. The time taken to cook a samosa with just plain flour is little less (2 minutes) than that has whole meal flour mixed.
6. Use the Grill/Broiler option in the last 2 minutes in air fryer / oven.
Store the samosas in an air tight container in refrigerator. Heat before serving it with chutney.
You can use store bought sheets to make samosa. We have tried some of them , which include
- Refer to vegetable pasties recipe, you can use the traditional stuffing here and make these with shortcut pastry sheets
- Refer to the veg puffs recipes that we have made with puff pastry sheets.
- you can also use filo pastry to make filo pastry samosas.
Easy baked starter recipes?
- baked sweet potato chips
- air fryer onion pakoda
- Homebaked French fries
- vegetable puffs
- vegan pasties in air fryer
- air fryer toast
Read our collection of Indian air fryer recipes.
Pair it with air fried gulab jamun.
Baked / Air fried Samosa recipe
- oven in case not using an air fryer
- Air fryer/oven in case not using an traditional oven
- Kadai for traditional frying in case trying out the deep frying option
- potato masher
- Stand mixer for kneading (optional)
For samosa pastry
- Heat oil in pan,add ginger/chillies
- Add the boiled veggies.
- Sauté for 5 minutes, add spices, salt and pepper
For Samosa pastry
- Mix the flour with salt,caraway seeds(ajwain) and oil
- Knead the dough with chilled water to get a semi hard dough.
- Add extra flour as needed to keep from sticking to hands and board
- Place the dough in a well-oiled vessel and cover with a cloth/plastic wrap for 15 minutes.
- Take a small portion of it and roll the dough into small round shape.
- Cut it in 2 equal halves, make a cone by sticking the edges with water
- Fill the stuffing and close the cone with water.Seal the edges with a fork
- Line up the samosa in a baking tray.
For oven baked samosa
- Bake the samosa in a pre-heated oven at 180 C (or 360 F) for 15 minutes(fan-forced)
- Brush/Spray with oil and bake further for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Allow to cool on rack. Serve warm.
For air fryer samosa recipe
- Air fry the samosa in a pre-heated air fryer at 180 C (or 360 F) for 20-25 minutes
- Brush oil on the samosa every 5-6 minutes.
- Allow the cooked samosa to rest for few minutes on a paper kitchen towel or a wire rack.
For Deep fryer
- If you want to cook them by deep frying them, then heat oil in a kadai at low heat. Once its hot enough, cook the samosa in that oil
- If the oil is on medium/high heat, you will not get the perfec crisp outcome
You may use broccoli, carrots and peas in the filling if you want it healthier for kids. Donald Trump was served on of these at Gandhi Ashram in Ahmedabad..Although former combination of broccoli looks strange,it tastes great in a samosa. You can also add some peanuts to samosas.Make the mini samosas in air fryer using lentils for a longer shelf life instead of potatoes. Read the recipe for the dry mini samosa here.
You can also make samosa chaat using these samose. Pour chana masala over the samosas. Top it with mint and tamarind or date chutney, sev, pomegranate seeds and yogurt( optional if vegan). You can also add chopped onions and lemon juice on top. Hungry as I list down the ingredients. Yummy!
Yes, very easily. Air frying samosa is easier than frying them or baking or them. In fact air fryer frozen samosas is one of the easiest snack that can be made when you have friends visiting.
The stuffing remains the same,if you choose to make them with plain flour (maida) then they are more crispy as compared to with whole wheat flour.
The simple answer is using an oven or air fryer. If your microwave has convection mode then you can use that as well.
Well, if you are preparing this at home and using a mix of whole wheat flour and baking or air frying the samosa, then it is definitely a good snack for the children.
The above recipe is for air fried / baked samosa, however you can even fry these samosas at low/medium heat. The oil should not be very hot.
In a preheated air fryer, 20 minutes at 180C is good enough for the frozen samosas, you may brush oil in between. Additionally check the pack for instructions as well.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.