Aloo Gobi Masala or Potato Cauliflower Curry is one of the easiest vegetarian recipes. It is an immensely popular north Indian recipe. You can get it at all Punjabi roadside dhabas and restaurants. You will generally find it as a sukhi sabzi dish in the veg thali along with dal, raita, salad and roti. I think it is a great way to use cauliflower. I love cauliflower recipes Be it Gobi Manchurian or Cauliflower pomegranate salad.
Why does everyone love it?
This mix vegetable recipe is best made in a cast iron pan(if making without tomatoes or use an enameled one for sour gravy). You will find it as a favorite of many North Indians eating out. However, the best reference comes from cult movie Bend it like Beckham. I always remember the scene while making it. Mom wants Jess to learn making the curry, instead of playing football. It resonates with you as you grow older. Whether you love football or not, you can always learn making it.
Serve aloo gobi with any roti tandoori or phulka. You may also pair it with dal makhani or dal tadka and you have a party menu ready. Just have it with some raita/ yogurt dip, salad if you want to have lunch quickly. You get the best quality of cauliflower in winter. This hot curry and flatbread just adds some warmth to the cold air. Ditch the ghee and make it vegan if you want to. You will never go wrong with this recipe. To learn to make this quick dhaba style recipe scroll below to watch the video/read the recipe.
Air-fryer for low oil version
500 gm Cauliflower florets
2-3 medium potatoes
¼ cup oil
2 large tomatoes
½ cup peas
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste/chopped
1 tablespoon jeera or cumin seeds
1 teaspoon garam masala
½ tablespoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder, kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves
for garnish ,1 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves
Salt as per taste
How to make restaurant style aloo gobi ki sabji (in tawa)
- Sauté potatoes in oil in a pan. Keep it aside.
- Sauté cauliflower until partially cooked. Keep it aside.
3.Heat oil in a pan. Add onion ginger garlic chillies and let it cook until onions are brown. 4. Add tomato puree and let it simmer for few minutes. 5. Add all the spices to the curry. 6. Add cooked cauliflower, potatoes and peas. Mix well and let it simmer. Serve this easy aloo gobi recipe hot with roti or basmati rice.
How to make aloo gobhi matar in air fryer?
In order to save time and oil usage, you can make the above recipe in air fryer too. Just use the below steps instead of step 1 and 2. You need to follow the all the remaining steps as above to make the curry later. Step 1: Air fry the potatoes for 5- 7 minutes after brushing oil on it at 190 deg C. Keep it aside. Step 2: Place the gobi pieces in the air fryer and brush oil on it. Step 3: Air fry the cauliflower florets for 10 minutes. Keep it aside
Gobhi masala recipe video
Read the recipe below
Aloo Gobi masala recipe
- or air-fryer
- 500 gm Cauliflower
- 2-3 medium potatoes
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ cup peas
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon green chilly
- 1 tablespoon jeera or cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon coriander leaves for garnish
- Salt as per taste
- Puree tomatoes,ginger,garlic and chilies to make a fine paste.
For cooking in a pan
- Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a pan.Cook potatoes for 10 minutes until 80% cooked.Keep them aside.
- Cook cauliflower for 8 mins till 80% cooked.Keep it aside.
- Add remaining oil along with cumin seeds and tomato paste. Cook for 10 mins.
- Add all the spice powders and cook for 10-12 mins till oil comes out of the gravy.
- Now, add peas,cooked cauliflower and potatoes.
- Mix slowly ,cook and let it simmer for 10 mins on a low flame or until the vegetables are soft.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti or any flat bread.
In air fryer
- Air fry the potatoes for 5- 7 minutes after brushing oil on it at 190 deg C. Keep it aside.
- Place the gobi pieces in the air fryer and brush oil on it.
- Air fry the cauliflower florets for 10 minutes. Keep it aside. Follow the remaining steps as it is to make the aloo gobi gravy.
You can add some paneer or carrots if you have left over pieces to make a mixed vegetable curry.
Adjust the red chili powder according to your taste. Add an extra teaspoon garam masala too for great taste.
Try more such easy veg lunch recipes?
Click curry for more curries and gravies.
Finally, click here for watching more recipe videos.