'Pakode' or 'Pakore' are yummy fritters. They are one of the best known appetizers. We make so many types of bhajiye. No one can resist this finger food. We usually make it with besan or chickpea flour. We also make this from yellow 'moong dal' or skinned green gram legume. These fritters are called moong dal ke pakode. These skinned green gram fritters or 'mungodi' are very tasty.
you can make a curry out of them. Serve them with mint chutney or ketchup. It is best served with ginger tea and tastes wonderful specially when it rains outside. You will fall in love with this Indian street food which is very famous around the states of Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Delhi, once you make it at home.
Read the recipe of Moong dal ke pakode below:
Moong dal ke pakode
- 1 cup moong dal/yellow mung lentils
- 1 or 2 green chilies chopped roughly
- ½ inch ginger chopped
- a pinch of asafoetida/heeng
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper/sabut kalimirch
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- ⅛ th cup water or as required
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying or shallow frying
- Soak moong dal in enough water for about 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water and add them to the grinder along with chopped green chilies, ginger and asafoetida.
- Add water and grind to a coarse paste.
- Coarsely crush the black pepper and cumin seeds in a mortar-pestle.Add these to the ground moong dal batter.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Stir the batter vigorously for a few minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of the moong dal batter in medium hot oil and fry till crisp and golden.
- Drain the moong dal bhajiya on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
- Serve the moong dal bhajiyas hot or warm with coriander chutney, tamarind chutney or just plain tomato ketchup.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.