Punjabi Kadhi Pakora or Pakode wali kadhi is a simple yet very tasty curry.It is very light and flavorful. You need very little ingredients for this meal, which include Dahi (yogurt/curd) and Besan (chickpea flour) . Apart from this, there are ingredients for tadka (tempering) and pakoda (fritters). Hence it is know by multiple names such as dahi ki kadhi recipe, Punjabi kadhi pakora recipe dhaba style, Punjabi dahi kadhi recipe, pakoda kadhi recipe, Punjabi kadhi recipe. You may or may not temper the sauce. It is one of the biggest showstoppers of any party. It is also known as dahi ki kadhi. Much ordered takeaway too.
Fritters in yogurt sauce is easy dish when you didn't get time to get veggies from the market. It is simple to cook and can be cooked under 30 minutes. It is a hit with people of all ages. Suits best for a lazy Sunday afternoon meal.
Ensure that you make an extra plate. These crisp bhajia/pakode,are irresistible. You are sure to gobble up before added them to the curry sauce. Make fritters plain or with onions.Simply the easiest meal ever! You can also bake them if you like or air fry them.
The Original curry from India
If you were to ask someone in India about Curry, then he/she would only talk about couple of curry recipes such as this besan curry recipe or some of the sindhi curry recipes
No one will ever understand why all Indian recipes are called Currry recipes outside India. Growing up I never understood those banners for Indian Curry in the cricket matches played outside India. Its only when I travelled, I got to know that any dry sabzi or something with gravy that we prepare and eat is also called an Indian curry.
How to use the left overs to make this meal?
You can also use your left over yogurt from the refrigerator to make this recipe for punjabi kadhi.
Left over curd,is already sour so it gets a great flavor.You can also replace the pakore with fried boondi if you are lazy to cook fritters.
How to make punjabi kadhi recipe ?
Step by Step pictures of the Punjabi Curry
1.Add besan/chickpea flour to yogurt
1.Add spices and mix with a whisk or spoon.
3.Add water to the mix and allow to boil
4.Add tempering,service with onion pakoda/bhajji
How to make the kadhi ? Read the detailed Punjabi Kadhi recipe below
Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda | punjabi pakora kadhi recipe
For kadhi sauce / kadhi curry
For tadka / tempering
- 1 tablespoon Oil/ghee
- 1 teaspoon jeera or cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon rai or mustard seeds
- 1-2 green chillies
- Handful of curry leaves
- Pinch of heeng or asafoetida
How to make pakora ? For air fryer version , refer here
- Add salt to the onion and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Add besan and other ingredients with minimal water to prepare the batter
- Heat oil in a pan/kadai on medium heat and add spoonfull of this mixture one by 1 one.
- Once the fritters are little brown and look cooked, remove them from oil and keep them aside.
- Wipe the excess oil from the fritters by patting with some tissue paper.
How to make dahi kadi ?
- Mix besan ,yogurt and water, lightly whip it till they form a mixture.
- Add turmeric ,red chilly,fenugreek seeds and salt ,keep it to boil.
- Turn off the heat once it has boiled, the curry will thicken once it starts to cook, adjust water and salt as per your choice.
For the tempering
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a tadka pan.
- Add some cumin,mustard seeds.
- Add chopped chillies, curry leaves and pinch of asafoetida till you get a great aroma.
- Now,add the tempering to the curry which is on a boil.
- Add the fritters to the curry and let it come to boil.
- Serve hot with flat bread or basmati rice.
There are multiple variations for this punjabi kadi.
Chickpea flour - I have used oats flour for a number of times . However oats flour is not gluten free unlike chickpea flour but comes with its own benefits. Replace besan with the same amount of grounded oats flour.
Fritters - to replace the pakoda in this pakode ki kadhi recipe, use fried boondi, or add some soft vegetable such as zucchini or lauki(bottle gourd)
Tempering - You can totally avoid the tempering if you want to make something low in fat. I would just boil the fresh curry leaves with the curry and add some soup stock for more flavour.