Shahi Matar Paneer or Mutter paneer or Dhaba style Matar Paneer is a simple recipe. It has a fabulous fan following. Mattar paneer ki sabji or mutter paneer halwai style is a yummy treat. It is a traditional Punjabi recipe. Here, we cook cottage cheese cubes in a tomato sauce with generous quantity of peas. However, you can also make this Jain style. Just avoid using onion garlic. You can pair it with any flatbread or rice. Amateur cooks or bachelors can cook this curry very easily. You can certainly impress people when you have a matar paneer recipe restaurant style as a their ace up their sleeve.
All you need is some paneer.
You can buy cottage cheese cubes from any dairy or make your own at home. Keeping some paneer at home always helps, when guests come at a short notice. It is versatile and can be used to cook various dishes for a party.
Be it appetizers like chilli paneer,paneer pakoda or paneer tikka or one pot dishes like Paneer Biryani. Curries like achaari paneer,paneer tikka masala and paneer butter masala are a treat. So are sweets like Chenna Pudo , Rassogulla or Rajbhog or Rasmalai.
What is dhabha style ?
Dhabha or Dhabhas are roadside restaurants that you will find on the highways in India. These are not swanky restaurants but very simple roadside eateries that are known for their rustic cooking.The recipes in the menu are minimal and reflect the local cuisine of the state that you are travelling in.
How to make Shahi Matar Paneer dhabha style ?
The most important tip to make it in way is to cook the onions in oil upto a point that they are perfectly cooked and when tomatoes are added to the mix , they should be cooked until the oil starts to ooze out of them. This will help the curry to ooze out that oil at the end.
Can I make matar paneer without onion ?
Yes , you can make that without onion, just blend tomatoes with ginger and chillies and cook as same steps.Without onion the gravy or the curry is not that heavy as well.
The ingredients for dhaba style paneer are very simple. apart from the paneer/cottage cheese, you just need onion,tomato and some spices.
You can prepare the paneer at home or use the store bought paneer. If you are making the paneer at home,the paneer pieces needs to be little hard to get the restaurant style matar paneer.
You can prepare this recipe using frozen peas or fresh peas.
- Paneer cubes / Indian cottage cheese. Refer to our details post on making paneer at home here
- Tomato puree with ginger & chillies
- Spices(cumin,turmeric, red chili powder ,coriander,garam masala)
- Kasoori methi / Dried fenugreek leaves
- Salt & Oil
- Green peas (not in the below picture)
Step by step pictures
Read below the steps to understand how to make matar paneer
- Heat oil in a pan,add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds,Cook onions with salt until brown.
2. Add pureed tomatoes with ginger and chillies.
3. Cook until oil oozes out.
4. Add spices(turmeric, coriander, red chilli powder ) and cook for few minutes.
5. Add yogurt and mix well.
6. Add paneer cubes, peas and water. Cover & cook until it comes to boil.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves , serve matar paneer with flatbread/poori or steamed basmati rice.
Read other related recipes
Read the paneer matar dhaba style recipe below:
Dhaba Style Matar Paneer
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon green chilli chopped
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 cup tomato puree with ginger,chillies
- 250 gram paneer or cottage cheese
- ½ cup peas
- 2 tablespoon curd
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chilly powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves optional
- Salt as per taste
- For Garnish: 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- Heat oil in a pan.add cumin seeds,let them crackle
- Cook onions & salt until brown.
- Add tomato puree,spices&salt.Cook for 8-10 mins or until oil oozes out.
- Add yogurt,cook until oil oozes out.
- Add paneer cubes,peas,kasuri methi & mix well.
- Add salt along with 1 cup water.Cook until it starts to boil, cover for few minutes,turn off the heat
- Garnish with chopped coriander
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
If you do not have paneer handy,you may use haloumi.
For vegan option,replace paneer with tofu and replace yogurt with 1 tablespoon chickpea flour. Add more water if you prefer to thin gravy Adjust the spices(chillies/garam masala) as per your taste. Refer to our details post on making paneer at home here
See video for Dhaba Style Matar Paneer recipe below:
Click here to read additional curry recipes.
Click here to watch additional recipe videos from our Youtube channel secondrecipe.
when you say tomato puree, is this from the shop or can we puree tomatoes in the blender?
yes you can puree tomatoes in blender.