Dhaba Style Matar Paneer is a simple recipe. It has a fabulous fan following.Mattar paneer ki sabji or mutter paneer halwai style is a yummy treat. It is a traditional Punjabi recipe. Here, we cook cottage cheese cubes in a tomato sauce with generous quantity of peas. However, you can also make this Jain style. Just avoid using onion garlic. You can pair it with any flatbread or rice. Amateur cooks or bachelors can cook this curry very easily. You can certainly impress people when you have a matar paneer recipe restaurant style as a their ace up their sleeve.
All you need is some paneer.
You can buy cottage cheese cubes from any dairy or make your own at home. Keeping some paneer at home always helps, when guests come at a short notice. It is versatile and can be used to cook various dishes for a party.
Be it appetizers like chilli paneer,paneer pakoda or paneer tikka or one pot dishes like Paneer Biryani. Curries like achaari paneer,paneer tikka masala and paneer butter masala are a treat. So are sweets like Chenna Pudo , Rassogulla or Rajbhog or Rasmalai.
What is dhabha style ?
Dhabha or Dhabhas are roadside restaurants that you will find on the highways in India. These are not swanky restaurants but very simple roadside eateries that are known for their rustic cooking.The recipes in the menu are minimal and reflect the local cuisine of the state that you are travelling in.
How to make Shahi Matar Paneer dhabha style ?
The most important tip to make it in way is to cook the onions in oil upto a point that they are perfectly cooked and when tomatoes are added to the mix , they should be cooked until the oil starts to ooze out of them. This will help the curry to ooze out that oil at the end.
Can I make matar paneer without onion ?
Yes , you can make that without onion, just blend tomatoes with ginger and chillies and cook as same steps.Without onion the gravy or the curry is not that heavy as well.
Step by step pictures of Dhaba style matar paneer
- Cook onions in oil.
- Add pureed tomatoes with ginger and chillies.
3. Cook until oil oozes out.
4. Add spices and cook until rawness of spices disappears.
5. Add yogurt and mix well.
6. Add paneer cubes, peas and water. Cover & cook.
7. Serve hot with flatbread or rice.
Read the Dhaba Style Matar Paneer recipe below:
Dhaba Style Matar Paneer
- 2 tbsp cup oil
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp green chilli chopped
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 250 gram paneer or cottage cheese
- ½ cup peas
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp curd
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves optional
- Salt as per taste
- For Garnish: 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Cook ginger,chillies,onions & salt until brown.
- Add tomato puree,spices&salt.Cook for 5 mins or until oil oozes out.
- Add yogurt,cook until oil oozes out.
- Add paneer cubes,peas,kasuri methi & mix well.
- Add salt along with 1 cup water.Cook for 5 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
If you do not have paneer handy,you may use haloumi.
For vegan option,replace paneer with tofu and replace yogurt with 1 tbsp chickpea flour.
See video for Dhaba Style Matar Paneer recipe below:
Click here to read additional curry recipes.
Click here to watch additional recipe videos from our Youtube channel secondrecipe.