India is a land of festivals. Festive season starts with Saawan maas after Ramnavmi in April. Shravan Purnima.Varalakshmi vratam& Rakhi. Teej , Janamashtami,Gowri puja,Ganesh Chaturthi,Dussehra and then comes the brightest of them all Diwali.It is time to celebrate.Some people love bursting crackers and play cards at Diwali Parties.However,I love gorging on sweets and snacks rather than crackers.To each his own I say.It is a time to have a grand party.Meet and greet all friends and family.Expensive sweets like badam katli,kaju katli rule the roost in most sweet shops.However,you can easily make them at home.Once you start making it at home you will never buy them again.
Most sweet shops are famous for their barfi. However, what do you do when you don't have sweet shop nearby.People of all ages love diamond shaped pieces of dry fruit paste.Make this easily at home,a day earlier to any party.All you need is almonds & silver varq optionally. It is also healthier than maida cake.
You can make this burfi with any nuts you like.Be it pistachio,cashews & walnuts.Just decorate it with varq.
You can also use just saffron if you do not have varq at home.I bet this recipe will rule the roost.
Scroll below to see Badam Katli recipe
- 2 cup badam/ almonds
- 6 tbsp ghee
- 1-3/4 th cup sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 10-12 saffron strands or kesar optional
- Silver foil/varq optional
- Soak almonds over night and remove the skin.
- Soak the peeled almonds for 2-3 more hours in warm water to soften.
- Grind them with minimum water in a blender and sieve.
- Mix saffron strands in milk.Keep it aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp ghee in a pan and add the almond paste to it.
- Mix well with a spatula.
- Add saffron milk and sugar to it.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes .Keep stirring until it binds together.
- Add 2 more spoons of ghee to avoid the mixture from sticking to the pan.
- Line a tray with baking sheet.
- Alternatively,you can add some ghee to a tray if you do not have baking sheet.
- Level the mixture and apply the silver varq on it.
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours.
- Serve well.
Click here for more dessert recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.