Chocolate barfi or chocolate fudge is a super yum mithai. It is nut free and a good alternative to milk chocolate. You can make it for the party and yet it looks store bought. Serve it in your party with panache. I love the fact that it doesn't lose shape or drips of sugar syrup like other sweets. Mawa or khoya in double layer.Two different tastes makes the mawa burfi tastes yum. Who can get over chocolate and Indian sweet combination!
How to make chocolate barfi?
First mawa needs to be made and then tbsp. cocoa is added to some part to make the top layer. You may also use store bought mawa for the same or make your own batch. I like to make my own batch whenever I got surplus milk in kitchen by reducing it. This way making sweet is not a big hassle on the day of party. Also, you are assured of its purity. You can reduce the milk while boiling it on a low flame or medium heat with a spoon in the sauce pan. Just stir in between while you cook lunch/dinner. However this is a time taking process.
If you cannot stand for longer time, you can make instant khoya by using a full cream, milk powder and ghee. Unsweetened mawa is ready in 10 minutes in a steamer and even lesser time in microwave. It can be stored in refrigerator for later usage. If you want to make plain mawa barfi, just add some cardamom powder to the bottom layer recipe. It still tastes great.
Indian burfi nostalgia
This chocolate mawa barfi is very close to my heart. I was never fond of chocolates as such but loved milk sweets as a kid. Making burfi is easy if you use milk powder to make khoya. Else reducing milk takes time. This particular barfi, double layered one was my favorite. A simple sweet which has a layer of burfi with milk powder below and chocolate coat on the above. So yum. It is a sweet which reminds of me of my childhood. I have always loved ordering it. It was always my favorite and a sweet I always relished. Whenever we would pass by Mohan sweets, our local sweet shop in Gajuwaka. I had to buy this! Now, that Visakhapatnam, is a distant memory and the shop so far away. It is time to make my own. Sweet memories of childhood makes heart go fonder always!
Diwali burfi recipes
I love all kinds of Indian sweets be it layered burfi recipe or nut based ones. Diwali barfi sweets recipe menu is quite elaborate in our household.It is a time to celebrate and why not! It is the festival we wait for each year. Holi and Diwali are one of the most colorful festivals at the change of seasons in India. I love lighting lamps, the puja and even the spring cleaning weeks before it starts. Then come making all the sweets and savories.All types of mithai like Nariyal, lauki, besan, sattu, mango kalakand, milk cake ,kaju, badam ,akhrot and Sindhi Khorak. Best garnished with a layer of edible silver warq. Feeling festive even at the thought of it. Apart from that various pralines like chanadal chikki , peanut chikki, til patti , karanji, varo or dryfruit chikki and mawa gujiya.Cornflakes chiwda, nimki, mathri. Wow I am already in festive mood thinking of all this!
- Instant mawa/ khoya
- Full fat cream
- Heat mawa in a pan.
- Add full fat cream, sugar and mix them with a spatula.
3. Keep cooking them on a low flame until it comes together to look thick like condensed milk. 4. Add ghee and keep mixing them together. Remove and keep it aside or directly spread it on a tray lined with parchment paper. 5. For the top layer, heat mawa, sugar, cream along with cocoa in a pan. 6. Mix all the ingredients and cook them until it they come together. 7. Once you have spread the mawa mixture in a tray.
8. Spread the chocolate mixture over the plain mawa and press it together. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours. 9. Cut in desired shapes before serving.
- Stainless steel frying pan
Chocolate burfi recipe
- frying pan
plain burfi layer
- 2 cups mawa
- ¼ cup cream
- ⅓ cup sugar ½ cup if you want the base to be more sweet
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 cups mawa
- ¼ cup cream
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ghee
For the plain burfi layer
- Heat mawa in a pan. Add cream and sugar and cook while stirring slowly.
- Keep cooking on slow heat and add ghee to it.
- Cook until it comes together to form a smooth mix. It will resemble condensed milk.
- Remove and spread it evenly on tray lined with baking sheet or butter paper. Mawa barfi is ready.
for the chocolate layer
- Mix the cream with the cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Heat mawa in a pan with the chocolate cream ,sugar and ghee.
- Mix all the ingredients and cook until it forms a homogenous mix.
- Remove and spread it evenly on tray that has the plain burfi base already spread out.
- Press evenly to form barfi,let it rest for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Cut into desired shapes,keep refrigerated.
You can make this chocolate barfi recipe in many ways. Some people like to make chocolate barfi with milk powder while others might like to make chocolate burfi with condensed milk. Condensed milk is great for easy sweets but you cannot control sugar much unless using unsweetened one. You may make it in anyway but this chocolate mithai is for keeps. Some people also like to serve the plain mawa burfi separately.
You can store this in refrigerator as in case of all dairy based sweets. It stays good for 1-2 days at room temperature. However, eating fresh is best.
Need more chocolate fix? These recipes do the trick!