Chocolate burfi or chocolate fudge is a super yum mithai. It is nut free and a good alternative to milk chocolate. You can make it for the party and yet it looks store bought. Serve it in your party with panache. I love the fact that it doesn't lose shape or drips of sugar syrup like other sweets.
Mawa or khoya in 2 layers tastes yum. You may also use store bought mawa for the same or make your own batch.
I like to make my own batch whenever I got surplus milk at home. This way making sweet is not a big hassle. Also, you are assured of its purity.
My Nostalgia and chocolate burfi recipe
This chocolate barfi close to my heart. I was never fond of chocolates as such but loved milk sweets as a kid. Making burfi is easy if you use milk powder. Else reducing milk takes time. I love all kinds of burfi. Nariyal, lauki, besan, sattu, kalakand, kaju, badam. Best garnished with a layer of silver warq. Feeling festive even at the thought of it.
This particular barfi, double-layered one was my favorite. A simple sweet which has a layer of burfi with milk powder below and chocolate coat on the above. So yum.
It is a sweet which reminds of me of my childhood. I have always loved ordering it. It was always my favorite and a sweet I always relished. Whenever we would pass by Mohan sweets, our local sweet shop in Gajuwaka. I had to buy this! Now, that Visakhapatnam, is a distant memory and the shop so far away. It is time to make my own.
Step-by-step pictures of Chocolate burfi
Scroll below to read the recipe of chocolate barfi
plain burfi layer
- 2 cups mawa
- ¼ cup cream
- ⅓ cup sugar ½ cup if you want the base to be more sweet
- 2 tbsp ghee
chocolate burfi layer
- 1 cups mawa
- ¼ cup cream
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp ghee
For the plain burfi layer
- Take mawa in a pan,add cream and sugar and cook while stirring slowly.
- Keep cooking on slow heat,add ghee
- Cook until it comes together to form a smooth mix.
- Remove and spread it evenly on tray lined with baking sheet or butter paper.
for the chocolate burfi layer
- Mix the cream with the cocoa powder
- Heat mawa in a pan with the chocolate cream ,sugar and ghee.
- Mix all the ingredients and cook until it forms a homogenous mix.
- Remove and spread it evenly on tray that has the plain burfi base already spread out.
- Press evenly to form barfi,let it rest for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Cut into desired shapes,keep refrigerated.
Click here to see more dessert recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.