Barfi is a well-known Indian sweet that comes in different flavors and styles. Every Indian sweet shop is lined with greased tray of various Indian sweets in the festive season. Whether it is mango peda, kalakand, modaks, gulab jamun, gujiyas, pista burfi, rassogulla, rasmalai , rajbhog and badam katli. Milk, sugar, and high quality of mawa get combined to create another Indian fudge - chocolate barfi . You gotta try chocolate burfi. This easy recipe has a creamy and smooth texture and a rich chocolate flavor. Perfect sweetness to spicy Diwali snacks like murruku, mini samosas and achari mathri.
Most kids are chocolate lovers, hence they love chocolate barfi. One of the layer is Milk Barfi with milk Powder, the other is made with cocoa powder mixed with khoya . Barfi's a well-known Indian sweet that comes in different flavors and styles. Milk, sugar, and other stuff get combined to create a thick, fudgy dessert. You gotta try chocolate barfi - creamy texture and chocolatey flavor.You can use milk powder to make all sorts of barfi, like chocolate barfi. It creates a super creamy texture and adds an awesome taste. Plus, the milk powder makes the sweet super easy and fast to make.
How to make chocolate barfi?
You can use milk powder to make all sorts of barfi, like chocolate barfi. It creates a super creamy texture and adds an awesome taste. Plus, the milk powder makes the sweet super easy and fast to make.
You can experiment with different kinds of chocolate barfi recipes using milk powder
First we need to make mawa or khoya and then tbsp. cocoa is added to some part to make the top layer. There are 3 ways to make mawa.
- You may also use store bought mawa.
- Make your own Mawa by reducing milk. You can reduce the milk while boiling it on a low flame or medium heat with a spoon in the sauce pan. Just stir occasionally, while you cook lunch/dinner. However this is a time taking process.
- If you cannot stand for longer time, you can make instant khoya by using a full cream, milk powder and ghee. Unsweetened mawa is ready in 10 minutes in a steamer and even lesser time in microwave. It can be stored in refrigerator for later usage.
- Use condensed milk to thicken the mixture and make it sweet.
How many types of barfi are there?
Be it layered fudge recipes or nut based ones. Diwali is time to have loads of popular burfis. There are so many types of fudge. Some are fruit based or vegetable based. Others are nut based. Coconut, lauki, besan, sattu, mango kalakand, milk cake ,kaju, badam ,akhrot and Sindhi Khorak. Best garnished with a layer of edible silver warq. Feeling festive even at the thought of it. Apart from that various pralines like chanadal chikki , peanut chikki, til patti , karanji, varo or dryfruit chikki and mawa gujiya.Cornflakes chiwda, nimki, mathri are common snacks. Wow I am already in festive mood thinking of all this!
- Instant mawa/ khoya
- Full fat cream
- refer to recipe card for details.
- Heat mawa in a pan.
- Add full fat cream, sugar and mix them with a spatula.
3. Keep cooking them on a low heat over stove top, until it comes together to look thick like condensed milk.
4. Add ghee and keep mixing them together. Remove and keep it aside or directly spread it on a tray lined with parchment paper.
5. For the top layer, heat mawa, sugar, cream along with cocoa in a pan.
6. Mix all the ingredients and cook them until it they come together.
7. Once you have spread the mawa mixture in a tray lined with parchment paper or a greased plate.
8. Spread the chocolate mixture over the plain mawa and press it together with help of a spatula. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours. 9. Cut in desired shapes before serving.
- baking sheet / parchment paper
- Stainless steel frying pan / nonstick pan
You can make this chocolate barfi recipe in many ways. Some people like to make chocolate barfi with milk powder while others might like to make chocolate burfi with condensed milk. Condensed milk is great for easy sweets but you cannot control sugar much unless using unsweetened one. You may make it in anyway but this chocolate mithai is for keeps.
Some people also like to serve the plain mawa burfi separately.If you want to make plain mawa barfi, just add some cardamom powder to the bottom layer recipe. It still tastes great.
You can also make gulkand barfi in a similar fashion.
You can store this in refrigerator as in case of all dairy based sweets. It stays good for 1-2 days at room temperature. However, eating fresh is best.
Chocolate fudge recipe | easy chocolate burfi recipe
- frying pan
plain burfi layer
- 2 cups mawa
- ¼ cup cream
- ⅓ cup sugar ½ cup if you want the base to be more sweet
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 cups mawa
- ¼ cup cream
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ghee
For the plain burfi layer
- Heat mawa in a pan. Add cream and sugar and cook while stirring slowly.
- Keep cooking on slow heat and add ghee to it.
- Cook until it comes together to form a smooth mix. It will resemble condensed milk.
- Remove and spread it evenly on tray lined with baking sheet or butter paper. Mawa barfi is ready.
for the chocolate layer
- Mix the cream with the cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Heat mawa in a pan with the chocolate cream ,sugar and ghee.
- Mix all the ingredients and cook until it forms a homogenous mix.
- Remove and spread it evenly on tray that has the plain burfi base already spread out.
- Press evenly to form barfi,let it rest for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Cut into desired shapes,keep refrigerated.
- Always keep the kitchen ventilated.
- Reheat your food leftovers before consumption. Discard if it tastes rancid or smells bad.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
Conclusion: Chocolate barfi or chocolate fudge is a super yum mithai. It is nut free and a good alternative to milk chocolate. You can make Chocolate Burfi with Cocoa Powder for the party and yet it looks store bought. Serve it in your party with panache. I love the fact that it doesn't lose shape or drips of sugar syrup like other sweets. To sum up, chocolate barfi is delicious and a breeze to make, using milk powder.