Indians love traditional fan-fare at all festivals.Each festival has its own sweet to look forward to. Be it laddoo for Vinayak Chaturthi or Barfi for Diwali.Chikki for Sankranti or Ghevar for Rakhi. However, there are some sweets which are very special like Kaju Katli or cashew squares.
It always brings out the child in you.May be it is just a happy memory of carefree or eating unlimited goodies.
This traditional sweet has now become one of the status symbol in weddings.You can make this in advance before party.
Kids love it and this definitely will be a style statement for your home parties.
Many people buy this from the store during festivals.However it is very easy recipe to make.
Home made sweets are always the best.They help you bond over traditions.Also,give creative outlet to you.Food helps create beautiful memories from one generation to the other.
We have given a flavor of rose using natural rose water in this kaju katli recipe.
You can always use the same recipe to make normal Kaju katri.
Step by step instructions
Read the recipe of Gulab Kaju katli
Gulab Kaju Katli
- 1 cup kaju or cashews
- 2 tbsp ghee
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup dried rose petals
- ½ cup water
- 1 Silver foil/varq optional
- In a bowl add water to rose petals.Keep it aside for 4-6 hours.
- Process the cashews in a fine powder in a grinder,sieve it through to get a fine powder mix.
- Filter the mix to extract the rose water(⅓ cup)
- Heat a pan, add the rose water and sugar, allow it boil and then simmer
- Cook until the sugar dissolves and you get 1 string consistency sugar syrup
- Add the cashew powder mix and 1tbsp ghee to the sugar syrup,
- Cook for 10-15 minutes till it forms a homogeneous mixture and starts coming off from the pan.
- Once the mix has cooled off, knead it on a baking sheet like a dough.you may use the ghee to get a smooth finish with the mix and avoid it from sticking.
- Use a rolling pin to spread the mix evenly.
- Apply the silver vark(foil) and make incisions in desired shapes.
- Break along the incisions when cooled off.
Want to try more burfi recipes? Try the below for some easy burfi recipe
- Chocolate burfi
- Coconut barfi
- Lauki burfi
- Badam burfi
- Til mawa barfi
- Sattu barfi
- Sev barfi
- Gulkand barfi
Click here for reading additional dessert recipes.
Click here to watch additional recipe videos from our Youtube channel secondrecipe.