Dahi vada /Dahi bada is the quintessential party snack. People of all age groups love it. Also, it saves you from making an extra curry for a party. Curd also helps with digestion when we eat all that heavy creamy curries. Thus a win-win for both the guests and the hosts.Dahi vada chaat is a mix of tangy mint and sweet tamarind/date chutney. Later, garnished with pomegranate seeds.
Is Dahi Bhalla and Dahi Vada same?
Yes,No one gets bored of this yummy dahi bhalle!
Vada is simple snack to make. Most people love the medu vada or dal vada version for breakfast. It is full of protein as it is only soaked and slightly fermented lentils. I end up eating so many of them while making them. You can serve a bit as a snack to kids when you make it. Have it later with yogurt and chutneys later. Two snacks in one.
Both super tasty and yum!
Best part is any shape of the vada will do. It need not be a perfect donut. You can make it a day before and keep it ready for the party. Garnish it with mint and tamarind chutney before you serve. Variation: Some people make a stuffing of cashews and almonds and stuff it while making the vada. However, that is strictly optional. Plain vada looks great as it is and you can have it hot even without a dip!
How to make dahi vada? Step by step pictures
1.Soak urad/udad dal for minimum of 4 hours .
2.Grind the dal with salt, jeera, black pepper and minimal water. Mix all ingredients.
3.Take a spoon full and fry in hot oil.
4. Take them out of oil one they are golden brown in color.
5. Allow them to cool for 10-15 minutes and transfer to a container with cold water.
6.Take out the excess water from the vada, move them to a bowl with whipped curd and water.
7. Serve them with Chutney, Pomegranate, spices and coriander.
Scroll below to read the Dahi vada recipe
Dahi vada - Lentil fritter in yogurt
- 1 cup urad dal split black lentils,soaked for 4 hours
- 8-10 black peppers crushed coarsely
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp rice flour optional
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup yogurt beaten with ½ cup water
- green chutney date chutney,pomegranate seeds
- Grind the urad dal in a blender with minimal water to form a smooth batter.
- Add cumin,pepper and salt,mix well
- In case, batter is too watery,add rice flour to it
- Heat oil in a kadai/saucepan
- Take a small portion of dough and lower them slowly in hot oil.
- On a medium flame, fry them until golden brown.
- Let it cool and dip them in a bowl of water.
- Squeeze the water by taking them out in your palm.
- Dip it in beaten yogurt for 1 hour atleast.
- Place the vada on the serving plate
- Garnish it with mint chutney
How many types of Vada are there?
There are many types of Vada in India. See our favorites below.
Click here to see more recipe videos.