Gatte ki kadhi /gatte ki sabzi is one of the most endearing recipes from the royal state of Rajasthan.Gatta curry is a royal dish.It has a huge fan following the world over.
How did it originate?
In the olden times, when the rains were scarce and vegetation was sparse.
People had to cook with whatever little was available to them.This scarcity did lead to interesting recipes.
This dish has a tangy spicy yogurt based chickpea flour curry.Yogurt gives the sourness and helps digest chickpea flour easily.Steamed dumplings or gatte can be made earlier and stored in refrigerator to enjoy a curry mid-week.Gatta sabji/gatte ki sabji is also known as besan sabji.
You can make it with minimal spices and ingredients.You can eat it with some plain tandoori roti at home.However,it is best eaten with bakhri or millet flat bread ('jowar roti'),some pickle and salad.
This curry is especially a blessing in the need of the hour.
Most of us stuck at home,cooking and thinking what to make next?
How do you make things special? Without using too many resources and ingredients.
Best is to re-use left-overs and make sure we waste nothing.
You can make this recipe out of left-over curd or yogurt.I am sure this period at home,is going to change the way we think work and stay for a long time.
Step-by-step pictures of Gatte ki sabzi recipe
read the Gatte ki kadhi recipe/gatta nu shaak below:
Gatte ki kadhi-gramflour dumpling curry
- 2 cup besan/gramflour/chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp aata/wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Lal Mirchi/ red chilly powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- pinch of haldi/ turmeric powder
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp Ghee or clarified butter
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp chopped green chilli
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ cup beaten curd
- 2 cups of water Can use the water in which we have boiled gatte
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
To Make Gatte
- Mix all the ingredients.Make a semi hard dough.
- Set aside for 10 min to set the dough.
- Make long strips out of the tight dough.
- Put these strips in boiling water.
- Cook for 20-25 mins.Check its readiness until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Strain them and keep aside.
- Once cooled cut small pieces.
To Make Kadhi
- In a pan heat ghee.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add asafoetida, ginger, green chillies and cook for few minutes
- Add tomato puree with spices and cook until dry.
- Add the yogurt and cook until oil starts coming out from the gravy.
- Add water with gatte and let it boil.
- Simmer on low heat for 10-12 minutes.Garnish with coriander
- Serve with rice/roti
Click here to read more curry recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos from our youtube channel "secondrecipe".