Sindhi Kadhi chawal or Karhi Chaawar is the favorite dish of our community. This curry is probably the most celebrated signature dish.While Punjabis make besan ki kadhi with dahi/yogurt and pakode/fritters,this is vegan with veggies with sourness from tamarind/imli.
What makes karhi chawar such a favorite?
This is a regular lunch at Sindhi home on a weekend.It is gluten-free,vegan,dairy free,egg-less and yet full of nutrition.You can cook it easily and add any veggies like beans,brinjal,potatoes,moringa to it.Slightly fry okra and then add it.It tastes divine.It is strikingly similar to sambhar of southern India.It is a yummy stew too.
Probably,the only difference being, we add minimal spices to the curry.
You can serve it to a large gatherings as much as for small lunches.We also serve it especially during weddings as one of the meals.You will never go wrong serving this gravy dish at luncheons or dinners.
They are a yummy companion.
Watch the Sindhi kadhi recipe video below:
Get the recipe of Sindhi kadhi below:
Sindhi Kadhi Chawal
- 1/2 cup besan or chickpea flour/garbanzo flour
- 1/4 cup imli ka paste or tamarind puree
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp oil for tempering
- 2 potatoes
- 100 gm okra
- 100 gm cluster beans
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 cup peas
Spices for tempering:
- 1 tbsp jeera or cumin
- 1 tbsp adrak or ginger
- 1 tbsp hari mirch or green chilly
- 1 stalk kadi patta or curry leaves
- 1-2 dried sabut lal mirch or red chillli
- 1/2 tbsp. methi dana or fenugreek seeds optional
- 1/2 tsp haldi or turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp lal mirch or red chilly powder
- namak /Salt as per taste
- Saute carrots,beans & okra in oil until soft,keep aside
- Add oil,cook chickpea flour/besan until light brown.
- Add potatoes,powdered spices,salt,water(1.5 ltr),tamarind & boil
- Add all veggies,let it boil for 10 mins.Mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil,roast cumin,ginger,chili & curry leaves
- Add tempering to kadhi.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve with rice & fried potatoes/colocasia and sweet boondi.
Serve it love.It is a perfect wholesome meal before a good nap :).
Finally to see more recipe videos click here