What is Sindhi kadhi?
Sindhi Kadhi chawal or Kadhi Chaawar is the favorite dish of our community. This curry is probably the most celebrated signature dish. While Punjabis make besan ki kadhi with dahi/yogurt and pakode/fritters, this is a veggies. Punjabi kadhi can be made when you have lots of yogurt left over and have little veggies at home. It is basically, making onion fritters and serving them in a yogurt sauce while this curry uses all the left over raw veggies in refrigerator. We make it with loads of veggies along in a chickpea flour base. It is sour and tangy due to addition of tamarind paste/imli pulp. This curry rice combination is a regular lunch at Sindhi home on a weekend.
Is Sindhi kadhi healthy?
This curry is vegan yet full of nutrition. You can cook it easily and add any veggies. Beans, eggplants, potatoes, peas, carrots moringa. Slightly fry okra and cluster beans and then add it. Tastes divine. You can also make it gluten-free by avoiding heeng or asafoetida in tempering. It is strikingly similar to sambhar of southern India. Probably, the only difference being, we add minimal spices to the curry. You can serve it to a large gatherings as much as for small lunches. We also serve it especially during weddings as one of the meals. You will never go wrong serving this gravy dish at luncheons or dinners.
Ingredients for Sindhi Kadhi:
Clockwise: Okra/bhindi, cluster beans/gwar, chickpea powder/besan, cumin and mustard seeds, red chilly powder, turmeric, curry leaves, oil, tamarind paste, carrots, peas, potatoes, ginger, green chillies, asafoetida/heeng, salt.
how to make Sindhi kadhi step by step?
- Heat oil in a deep sauce pan.
2. Add chickpea flour/ besan to it.
4. Mix well with a spatula. Cook until golden brown/ light brown.
Note: The color will darken after we add tamarind paste to it.
5. Add turmeric and red chilly powder.
6. Add water and let it come to a boil.
7. Cut the potatoes into halves and add it to the pot.
8. Now, add the remaining vegetables like carrots and peas. Mix well.
9. Add the tamarind pulp to it and stir well.
10. In another pan, heat oil and sauté the okra.
11. Add the cluster beans to it once okra is no longer slimy.
12. Now, add the cooked okra and cluster beans to the kadhi. Mix well.
13. In a pan, heat oil and temper some cumin seeds, mustard seeds. You may also add a tsp of methi dana/ fenugreek seeds. Once they crackle, add ginger, chilly & curry leaves to it. Switch it off and add heeng/asafoetida.
Tip: Omit heeng optionally , if serving a gluten-free meal.
Read the recipe for Sindhi kadhi below:
Sindhi Kadhi Chawal
- ½ cup besan or chickpea flour/garbanzo flour
- ¼ cup imli ka paste or tamarind puree
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp oil for tempering
- 2 potatoes
- 100 gm okra
- 100 gm cluster beans
- 1 carrot
- ¼ cup peas
Spices for tempering:
- 1 tbsp jeera or cumin
- 1 tbsp adrak or ginger
- 1 tbsp hari mirch or green chilly
- 1 stalk kadi patta or curry leaves
- 1-2 dried sabut lal mirch or red chillli
- ½ tbsp. methi dana or fenugreek seeds optional
- ½ tsp haldi or turmeric
- ½ tbsp lal mirch or red chilly powder
- namak /Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a deep sauce pan.
- Add chickpea flour/ besan to it.
- Mix well with a spatula. Cook until it is toasted and is light brown in color.
- Add turmeric, red chilly powder to it and mix well.
- Now, add water and salt. Let it come to a boil.
- Cut the potatoes into halves and add it to the pot.
- Now, add the remaining vegetables like carrots and peas. Mix well.
- Add the tamarind paste to it and stir well.
- In another pan, heat oil and sauté the okra.
- Add the cluster beans to it once okra is no longer slimy.
- Now, add the cooked okra and cluster beans to the kadhi. Mix well.
- In a pan, heat oil and temper some cumin seeds, mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add ginger, green chilly, curry leaves to it. Switch it off and add heeng/asafoetida. You may omit heeng optionally , if serving a gluten-free meal.
how to make sindhi kadhi video?
Watch it here.
Serve it love. It is a perfect wholesome meal before a good nap 🙂
What to serve with Sindhi kadhi?
What are the different types of kadhi recipes?
You can also make Sindhi tomato curry or Sindhi kadhi with tomatoes. We use lentils instead of chickpea flour in another version. Sindhi kadhi with toor dal is good way to feed kids who cannot digest besan easily. Another variation is the Bhatia Kadhi where we make above recipe of sindhi kadhi with curd addition.
Finally to see more recipe videos click here