Sindhi kadhi/ Kadi Chaawar is the favorite dish of Sindhi community. Probably the most celebrated signature dish and may be the most loved too. This besan ki curry recipe or tomato curry recipe is a powerhouse of vegetables. Sindhi Tomato Kadhi or tamatar ji kadhi is a tangy tomato based version of kadhi.
Another way to enjoy it while substituting tamarind paste for tomatoes.
What makes kadhi chawar such a favorite?
Kadhi chawar is a regular lunch at Sindhi home on a weekend. It is gluten-free, vegan, egg-less and yet full of nutrition. You can also cook it easily and add any veggies to it. You can never go wrong with this vegetable kadhi recipe. It is strikingly similar to sambar of southern India. Probably, the only difference being, we add minimal spices to the kadhi.
You may serve it to a large gatherings as much as for small lunches. We also serve it especially during weddings as one of the meals. You will never go wrong serving this gravy dish at luncheons or dinners. Serve it with sweet boondi, alu and arbi tuk as sides. Serve it love. It is a perfect wholesome meal and have a good nap later :).
Step-by-step pictures for making kadhi
Heat oil and make the tempering.
Add it to besan along with spices. Cook until rawness of chickpea flour disappears.
Add tomato puree,spices and potatoes.Mix well.
Now, add drumsticks, water, fenugreek seeds and allow it to boil.Stir.
Add okra with peas once potatoes are party cooked.
Serve with rice.
read the recipe of Sindhi tomato kadhi-tamatar ji kadhi
Sindhi Tomato Kadhi-tamatar ji kadhi
- ¼ cup chickpea flour/besan
- 2-3 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 Green chillies chopped
- 2 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 tsp Cumin/jeera
- 2 tsp Mustard seeds/rai
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds/methi dana
- ½ tsp Asafoetida/heeng avoid if gluten-free
- Handful of Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder/lal mirch
- 1 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- Salt as per taste
- 1.25 ltr water
- 7 -8 medium Tomatoes pureed
- 1-2 large Potatoes
- 14-15 medium sized okra/bhindi
- 8 -10 medium sized Drum sticks or moringa
- 5 -6 medium sized Lotus stem/kamal kakadi optional
- 10 Cluster beans/gwar optional
- ½ cup peas
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.Add cumin seeds,mustard seeds,ginger,chillies,hing,curry leaves.Let it splutter.
- Add chickpea flour/besan,mix well.
- Once chickpea flour mix is light brown in color,add salt,turmeric and red chilli powder .
- Add tomato puree with fenugreek seeds and potatoes
- Add water and let it boil. Once the water starts boiling, add drumsticks and other hard vegetables.
- Add all soft vegetables after 10 minutes and let it cook.
- Let it simmer on medium -low heat for 15-20 mins.Keep stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat, once the potatoes are nicely cooked.
- Serve hot with rice,sweet boondi & aloo/arbi tuk
Click here for additional Sindhi recipes.
Also, click here to watch more recipe video from our youtube channel "secondrecipe".