What is singhar ji mithai or sev ki barfi?
Sev ki barfi or singhar ji mithai is one of the most loved Sindhi recipes. It is a traditional Sindhi mithai which is quite easy to make. You also make it from the most unlikely savory ingredient. Sev or chickpea flour noodles. Sev is generally eaten as a teatime snack. You can find all kinds of sev. Teekha, nylon or thin, nimbu or lemon flavored, thick bland sev. Most famous being the aloo bhujia recipe. Trust Sindhi community for their innovative creative culinary juices. This mithai recipe is made with unsalted sev.
This recipe is a family favorite. We have grown up eating this sweet. Unlike many communities where men don't even know how to make a cup of tea, many men in Sindhi community are food connoisseurs. They are a complete foodie and love to cook. This gives their better halves some rest and also great ideas. This is my Grandpa's recipe. He was a doctor and still find out time to make such delicacies. Making this a wonderful trip down memory lane.
How to make sev ki barfi?
- Reduce the milk to ¼th after adding saffron, cardamom powder. Later. mix the sugar and blend to get a smooth mix.
2. Heat the milk mixture in a non-stick pan.
3. Slowly, add sev to it and mix after turning off the stove.
4. Now, it is ready to set as a fudge after 5 mins.
How to make singhar ji mithai? Read the recipe
Sev Ki Barfi
- non-stick kadai/granite pan
- baking tray to set the fudge
- 200 gm thin sev prefer unsalted.
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 ltr full fat milk reduced to 250 ml
- 7-8 Saffron strands soaked in 1 tablespoon milk
Garnish: Sliced Almonds
- Boil milk on low flame, add cardamom powder and saffron.
- Allow it to reduce slowly on low flame, until ¼ of the original quantity.
- Add sugar and stir until sugar dissolves,take it off from heat.
- Blend the reduced milk with a blender to get smooth consistency (optional)
- In a non stick pan, add the reduced milk mixture,allow it heat up a bit.
- turn off the gas , add the 'sev' to the mix, mix very slowly.
- After 5 minutes, once the 'sev' has absorbed the moisture,spread the mix in a tray lined with baking paper.
- Garnish with almond, allow it to be set in the refrigerator.
You can also use a salted 'sev'.
Traditionally , this sweet is prepared with 'mava'.To make with mawa mix 150 gms of mava with ½ cup warm water. You can also reduce the milk at home, just like we prepare rabri.
Indians and their love for Burfi
Barfi is an easy sweet to make at home. Diamond or square shaped milk based fudge is very popular with kids and elders. Everyone has a favorite mithai. It is easy to chew so very popular in all age groups. Great way to feed picky kids milk too with a bit of sugar rush. Most aromatic ingredients like saffron, cardamom powder, mawa or khoya act as base. Most of the sweets are associated with festivals. Kaju katli especially with weddings and Diwali. You can make various kinds of barfi. Good way to use nuts like almonds , walnuts and cashews. In cold days, seeds like til. or sesame are used to provide vitamin E and heat naturally. People also make fudge from chocolate, gulkand or rose preserve, besan/chickpea flour, coconut and sattu. Another interesting recipe is a fudge made with lauki/dudhi/bottle gourd.