What is singhar ji mithai or sev ki barfi?
singhar ji mithai is the Sindhi name for sev ki barfi. It is an amazing recipe from Sindhi cuisine. This traditional Sindhi mithai is quite easy to make. You also make it from the most unlikely savory ingredient, gram flour vermicelli a.k.a sev.
Sev or chickpea flour noodles is a must for teatime in North India. It is generally eaten as a snack. Usually, people use it in papdi chaat, dahi puri, sev puri or use it as a garnish over poha. You can find all kinds of sev in farsaan shops. Teekha, nylon or thin, nimbu or lemon flavored, thick bland sev. Most famous being the aloo bhujia recipe. Trust Sindhi community for their innovative creative culinary juices. This mithai recipe is made with unsalted sev.
This Sindhi sev burfi recipe is a family favorite. We have grown up eating this sweet. Here is an easy way to make traditional family classics. The traditional way is boil milk in a deep pan and reduce it until you can form a burfi. However, nowadays we do not have so much time to cook.
Unlike many communities where men don't even know how to make a cup of tea, and just order from the dining table, many men in Sindhi community are food lovers. They are a complete foodie and love to cook. This gives their better halves some rest and also great ideas. Making this a wonderful trip down memory lane as I recreate my grand dad's recipe for busy home cooks.
- Singhar (plain sev / feeka sev)
- Mawa or any mawa sweet
- full-fat milk / whole milk
- cardamom powder
- nuts for garnishing
- Heat milk in a pan, add cardamom powder.
2. Add the soft mawa mithai
3. Mix it slowly
4. Add the plain sev to the cooking bowl.
5. Cook for few minutes, until the sev has mixed, if required, add few teaspoons of milk,turn off the heat
6. Place the mix in a box or a greased tray to set,
7. optionally garnish with chopped dry fruits. Let it set for few hours
Variation and substitutions
You can reduce milk and make mawa or make mawa from milk powder. Add sev to the mix with sugar if using unsweetened mawa.
You can avoid nuts on top if you want to make it nut-free.
How to make Sev Ki Burfi | sindhi sev barfi recipe
- baking tray to set the fudge
- 300 gms plain sev prefer unsalted, also called 'mora sev'
- 400 gms mawa mithai
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 5-6 almonds sliced for garnish
- Heat milk in a pan, add cardamom powder.Add the soft mawa mithai and mix well
- Once it has been mixed, add sev.Cook for few minutes, until the sev has mixed, if required, add few teaspoons of milk.turn off the heat
- Place the mix in a box/thali to set, optionally garnish with nutsLet it set for few hours
You can also use a salted 'sev'.
Traditionally , this sweet is prepared with 'mava'.To make with mawa mix 150 gms of mava with ½ cup warm water. You can also reduce the milk at home, just like we prepare rabri.
Indians and their love for Burfi
Barfi is an easy sweet to make at home. Diamond or square shaped milk based fudge is very popular with kids and elders. Everyone has a favorite mithai. Most basic recipe contains milk and sugar with some crushed green cardamoms. It is easy to chew so very popular in all age groups. Great way to feed picky kids milk too with a bit of sugar rush. Most aromatic ingredients like saffron, cardamom powder, mawa or khoya act as base.
Most of the sweets are associated with festivals. Kaju katli especially with weddings and Diwali. You can make various kinds of barfi. Good way to use nuts like almonds , walnuts and cashews. In cold days, seeds like til. or sesame are used to provide vitamin E and heat naturally. People also make fudge from chocolate, gulkand or rose preserve, besan/chickpea flour, coconut and sattu. Another interesting recipe is a fudge made with lauki/dudhi/bottle gourd.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have a good ventilation when cooking on a stove.
Conclusion: Singhar ji mithai is an easy sweet which makes you go wow!