Colocasia / Taro / Arbi is a root veggie which people find very messy. It is widely used by Asians and Sindhis. While Asians make a salad, we make a yum curry, snacks and even a side dish out of it. Kachalu ja Tuk or fried taro is an appetizer you will love. Sindhis are also self-confessed great foodies. They love good food and hearty meals.
Sindhi cuisine is full of spicy food both vegetarian and non vegetarian. Sunday 'kadhi' meal is incomplete without meethi boondi & arbi/aloo tuuk.I am hungry even as I write this. Golden brown arbi with a sprinkle of spices is a fantastic way of having arbi. Yummy and delicious!
'Arbi' served like this is tangy tasty and spicy. It closely resembles fish cutlets. We also cook the potatoes in the same way.(See aloo tuk). It is gluten-free and also vegan. Hence, allowed during the fasting period. Many people also like to have Arbi ki chaat. You can steam taro and then shallow fry it although we deep fry it twice in the original recipe. These deep fried double fried cutlet is as important as the mains.
Most of us finish them even before the meal starts. This only adds to extra hard work. Many others who have tasted this, in their friends households', have made it a part of their kitchen too. You will fall in love with taro once you make this recipe.
How to make arbi tuk in air fryer?
Boil arbi for 15-20 minutes or until soft .(for instant pot cook for 10 minutes on high pressure and then release it after 10 minutes)
Peel the arbi/taro pieces.
Cut the arbi in smaller pieces.Brush the pieces with oil,
Air fry the arbi pieces for 10 mins at 180 deg C/355F (in a pre heated air fryer)
Mix all the spices in a bowl,Toss the air fried taro in the spice mix. Air fried arbi tuk is ready
Air fry this further for 5-6 minutes at 180C|355F
Variations - Arbi tuk
- You may also cook them without cutting in smaller pieces. Cut them in 2 pieces and air fry after tossing them in oil for 10 mins @180C
Once done ,toss them with spices and oil, cook further at 180C|355F for 5-7 minutes
Serve hot with Sindhi kadhi, jeera rice and meethi boondi.
How to make kachalu tuk recipe without airfryer / frying ?
Traditionally, kachalu is boiled, peeled and then deep fried.
To make the low oil recipe, without the air fryer follow the below steps.
- Boil and peel the arbi.
- In a pan, add some oil, Saute in the pan until its light brown from the sides.
3. Once the kachalu is cooked, toss it through the dry spices.
- Sindhi Kadhi
- Sindhi kadhi (with tomato)/Tamatar ji kadhi
- Toor dal kadhi/Sindhi dal kadhi
- Kale boondi ke laddu
Read the recipe of
Air fryer Arbi | Kachalu ja Tuk | air fried taro recipe
- kadai/frying pan (traditional method)
- air fryer for low oil version
- Wash and pressure cook Arbi / Kachalu for one whistle. (for instant pot cook for 10 minutes on high pressure and then release it after 10 minutes)
- You may also steam it into steamer till it is almost cooked
- Let it cool.Then peel it completely.Cut the arbi in smaller pieces.
Low oil air fryer version
- Place the arbi pieces in air fryer basket.Brush/spray oil on the arbi pieces in air fryer basket.
- Air fry the arbi pieces for 10 mins at 180 deg C/355F (in a pre heated air fryer)
- Mix all the spices in a bowl,Toss the air fried taro in the spice mix. Air fried arbi tuk is readyAir fry this further for 5-6 minutes at 180C|355F
- Serve as a side dish with sindhi kadhi and rice
- Heat oil in a pan.Shallow fry/Saute on medium flame till almost done.
- Remove taro from pan.Mix all the dry spices,toss the arbi in the spices.
Yes, kachalu and arbi are same .They are the same root vegetable Abroad it is known as taro.