Colocasia /Taro/Arbi is a root veggie which people find very messy. It is widely used by Asians and Sindhis. While Asians make a salad, we make a yum curry, snacks and even a side dish out of it. Kachalu ja Tuk-fried taro is an appetizer you will love. Sindhis are also self-confessed great foodies. They love good food and hearty meals. Sindhi cuisine is full of spicy food both vegetarian and non vegetarian. Sunday 'kadhi' meal is incomplete without meethi boondi & arbi/aloo tuuk.I am hungry even as I write this. Golden brown arbi with a sprinkle of spices is a fantastic way of having arbi. Yummy and delicious!
'Arbi' served like this is tangy tasty and spicy. It closely resembles fish cutlets. We also cook the potatoes in the same way.(See aloo tuk). It is gluten-free and also vegan. Hence, allowed during the fasting period. Many people also like to have Arbi ki chaat. You can steam taro and then shallow fry it although we deep fry it twice in the original recipe.These deep fried double fried cutlet is as important as the mains. Most of us finish them even before the meal starts. This only adds to extra hard work.Many others who have tasted this, in their friends households', have made it a part of their kitchen too.
You may try this too and enjoy this simple yet rich flavor.
How to make arbi tuk in air fryer?
- Boil arbi for 15 minutes and peel it.
2. Press the air fried taro pieces on the palm.
3. Place the arbi pieces in air fryer basket.
4. Air fry the tuk for 22 mins at 200 deg C & brushing oil in between.
4. Mix all the spices in a bowl.
5. Toss the air fried taro in the spice mix. Air fried arbi tuk is ready.
7. Serve hot with Sindhi kadhi, jeera rice and meethi boondi.
Read the recipe of Kachalu ja Tuk
Kachalu ja Tuk recipe
- kadai/frying pan (traditional method)
- air fryer for low oil version
- 250 gms Arbi/Kachalu/Taro root
- Oil for shallow frying/saute
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilly powder
- ¼ teaspoon amchur or dried mango powder/Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Wash and pressure cook Arbi / Kachalu for one whistle.
- You may also steam it into steamer till it is almost cooked
- Let it cool.Then peel it completely.
- Gently flatten them with palm.Be careful as it tends to break.
- Heat oil in a pan.Shallow fry/Saute on medium flame till almost done.
- Remove taro from pan.
Low oil air fryer version
- Press the boiled arbi or taro pieces on the palm to flatten it.
- Place the arbi pieces in air fryer basket.
- Air fry the tuk for 22 mins at 200 deg C & brushing oil in between.
- Mix all the dry spices.Sprinkle them over taro.
- Serve as a side dish with sindhi kadhi and rice
Looking for dishes to pair with tuk?
- Sindhi Kadhi
- Sindhi kadhi (with tomato)/Tamatar ji kadhi
- Toor dal kadhi/Sindhi dal kadhi
- Kale boondi ke laddu
Click here to watch more recipe videos.