Colocasia /Taro/Arbi is a root veggie which people find very messy. It is widely used by Asians and Sindhis. While Asians make a salad, we make a yum curry, snacks and even a side dish out of it. Kachalu ja Tuk-fried taro is an appetizer you will love. Sindhis are also self-confessed great foodies. They love good food and hearty meals.
Sindhi cuisine is full of spicy food both vegetarian and non vegetarian. Sunday 'kadhi' meal is incomplete without meethi boondi & arbi/aloo tuuk.I am hungry even as I write this. Golden brown arbi with a sprinkle of spices is a fantastic way of having arbi. Yummy and delicious!
'Arbi' served like this is tangy tasty and spicy. It closely resembles fish cutlets. We also cook the potatoes in the same way.(See aloo tuk). It is gluten-free and also vegan. Hence, allowed during the fasting period. Many people also like to have Arbi ki chaat. You can steam taro and then shallow fry it although we deep fry it twice in the original recipe.These deep fried double fried cutlet is as important as the mains. Most of us finish them even before the meal starts. This only adds to extra hard work.Many others who have tasted this, in their friends households', have made it a part of their kitchen too.
You may try this too and enjoy this simple yet rich flavor.
How to make arbi tuk in air fryer?
- Boil arbi for 15-20 minutesor until soft
- Peel the arbi/taro pieces.
3. Brush oil and place the arbi pieces in air fryer basket.
4. Air fry the tuk for 20 mins at 190 deg C & brushing oil in between.
4. Mix all the spices in a bowl.
5. Toss the air fried taro in the spice mix. Air fried arbi tuk is ready.Optionally you may air fry this further for 2 minutes at 190C
7. Serve hot with Sindhi kadhi, jeera rice and meethi boondi.
How to make kachalu tuk recipe without airfryer / frying ?
Traditionally, kachalu is boiled, peeled and then deep fried.
To make the low oil recipe, without the air fryer follow the below steps.
- Boil and peel the arbi.
- In a pan, add some oil, Saute in the pan until its light brown from the sides.
3. Once the kachalu is cooked, toss it through the dry spices.
- Sindhi Kadhi
- Sindhi kadhi (with tomato)/Tamatar ji kadhi
- Toor dal kadhi/Sindhi dal kadhi
- Kale boondi ke laddu
Read the recipe of Kachalu ja Tuk
Air fryer Arbi
- kadai/frying pan (traditional method)
- air fryer for low oil version
- Wash and pressure cook Arbi / Kachalu for one whistle.
- You may also steam it into steamer till it is almost cooked
- Let it cool.Then peel it completely.
Low oil air fryer version
- Press the boiled arbi or taro pieces on the palm to flatten it.
- Place the arbi pieces in air fryer basket.Brush oil on the arbi pieces in air fryer basket.
- Air fry the tuk for 20 mins at 190 deg C & brushing oil in between.
- Mix all the dry spices,toss the arbi in the spices.
- .Optionally you may air fry this further for 2 minutes at 190C
- Serve as a side dish with sindhi kadhi and rice
- Heat oil in a pan.Shallow fry/Saute on medium flame till almost done.
- Remove taro from pan.Mix all the dry spices,toss the arbi in the spices.
Yes, kachalu and arbi are same .They are the same root vegetable .