Kadhi chawal is a dish which looks exotic and tastes great. It has all the good veggies which kids may not eat. You can make this one pot meal for an entire clan of fussy relatives. They may have different tastes but wipe out even the last drop of the dish. Sindhi toor dal kadhi is a non-besan version of actual kadhi. You can make it when in the same manner as besan wali kadhi.
Serve it with some sweet boondi or motichoor laddoo. Add in some crisp chips and fried papad along with fried aloo (potato) & (taro) arbi tuk/fried chips. This is a wholesome meal and usually made for Sunday lunch. However, you can make it any day. Generally left over kadhi thickens and tastes amazing. We then have it with roti instead of rice.
Other sindhi recipes include Dal pakwan, Kali mirch koki, Onion koki , sindhi kadhi, bhuga chawar, sindhi chauthe, sindhi besani ,sindhi tairi ,sindhi papad , sindhi sai bhaji , sindhi mitho lolo , Sindhi onion pickle and Sindhi khorak.
Arhar dal or tuvar dal recipes are very simple and healthy. Its rich in protein too. Usually you will see a dal tadka or a dal palak made with toovar dal. This Sindhi toor dal recipe is full of flavor. You can also call it a cousin of south Indian sambhar rice. However, dal Kadhi recipe has lesser spices to Sambhar, which specifically has many spices and chillies in its spice mix. It is by far milder with respect to red chilly and also khada masala content. You can cook this dish fast and it serves as a main meal.
Vegetables: Okra, peas, tomato puree, potato and drumsticks/moringa. Spices: Turmeric powder, red chilli powder, methi dana/ fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, heeng or asafoetida, ginger, green chillies If you want to make it gluten-free, kindly avoid heeng or asafoetida.
How to prepare dal ji kadhi? step by step
1. Soak dal in water for 15 minutes.
2. Cook with water and mash it.
3. Add more water to the mashed dal.
4. Now, add tomato puree.
5. Add all the vegetables and cook until soft. 6. Meanwhile prepare the tempering in another pan. Heat oil and add cumin, mustard seeds,ginger,chilly and fenugreek seeds. Once they splutter, add asafoetida. Add the tempering to the kadhi and let it come to a boil. Serve hot with rice.
Read the recipe of Sindhi Toor dal Kadhi
Sindhi Toor dal Kadhi recipe
- 1 cup tuvar dal/ arhar dal or mix with masoor/Red lentil
- 2 tablespoon tamarind pulp or 2 cups of tomato purree
- 1-2 large Potatoes
- 14-15 medium sized okra/bhindi
- 8 -10 medium sized Drum sticks or moringa
- 5 -6 medium sized Lotus stem/kamal kakadi optional
- 10 Cluster beans/gwar optional
- ½ cup peas
- Soak toor dal for half an hour.
- Pressure cook dal with salt, turmeric and sufficient water(2 cups)
- Once the dal is done, let it cool.Churn it with a hand blender.
- Add 2-3 cups of water with dal in a pot and let it boil.
- Add tomato puree,fenugreek seeds,red chilli powder ,let it come to boil.
- Add hard vegetables and cook for 10 mins.
- Add soft vegetables and cook until soft.
- Heat oil in a pan,add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle,add ginger,chillies,curry leaves,hing,saute for 10 seconds.
- Add this tempering to the cooked dal.
- Let it simmer on medium flame for few mins.
- Serve hot with plain rice,sweet boondi and aloo tuk/arbi tuk://www.secondrecipe.com/kachalu-ja-tuk-fried-taro/.
- Pressure cooker
- Hand blender
- Sauce pan
There are many ways of making Sindhi kadhi. If you are looking for more kadhi recipes, click here
- Traditional Sindhi Kadhi
- Sindhi Tomato kadhi/tamatar ji kadhi
- Dahi ki kadhi
- Gatte ki kadhi
- Bhatia kadhi
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Always reheat food left overs before consumption. Discard if the taste or smell seems different.