Potato chips are a crowd favorite. No one can say no to it. You do end up eating them more than you desired. Many people like to eat some crisps with lentils, curries or even just like a starter. However the market ones contain palm oil or have too much salt or spices. You can make it with sea salt if not consuming during Navratri and Sawan fasting.
This is a traditional method of making chips in most Indian households. If you cannot wait there is a new method of making them in air fryer too.
- What kind of potatoes are used for homemade potato chips?
- Can I make these without drying them out in the sun ?
- Do you have to blanch potatoes before dehydrating?
- How to make crispy potato chips at home?
- More snacking recipes?
- Related links
- Potato chips recipe
What kind of potatoes are used for homemade potato chips?
Potatoes with high amount of starch are considered good for potato chips. A good test is when you slice the potatoes, if the liquid that comes out of the potato slice is white, then the starch content is good. These potatoes are also 'floury' potatoes. Potatoes that are 'waxy' or 'new' potatoes are not good for chips. From the above picture, its clear how the choice of potatoes affect the color of chips. In any case, the older crop of potatoes will always get your better looking chips.
You will need to experiment with a small batch of potatoes to understand the quality of potatoes that works best for you. Russet type of potatoes work best for making chips at home. Here in Australia, we prefer using local variety like Red royal/purple/ sebago.
How do you make potato chips from scratch?
You can actually make it at home easily by drying in hot sun or using a dehydrator. I remember my grandparents making them so much at Bhopal. Huge verandah and solar cooker drying and making for all those papad and savories. My grandpa is way ahead of his time. As a doctor, he always stresses on good food. When men hardly ventured into the kitchen, he used to treat us with his sweet and savory recipes. Dear Bhairah ji you are a gem and a pioneer.
There is something special about Sindhi community. Men are fond of their food but never shy away from making it. They equally help women(working or stay at home) with all chores at home. Even now at age of 80+ he is still sharing with us his tips and tricks. I live in an apartment now so bye bye huge terrace. Welcome dehydrator!
Can I make these without drying them out in the sun ?
Yes, you can do that using a dehydrator. Dehydrator is a life saver in places you don't get adequate sun to dry chips in balconies. I think it is one of my best gadgets. People usually make jerky in it who are hard core non-vegetarian. However, I use them to make so many vegan Indian items.
We make potato, bitter gourd chips, dehydrate berries and herbs like mint, and even make sago chakli. You can also use it to make aam papad. Dehydrating veggies in batches helps me fulfil all these cravings. I dehydrate and avoid the extra sugar in similar items available in the market like mango slices, peach slices.
Do you have to blanch potatoes before dehydrating?
No, not the whole potato, but you need to slice them and then blanch them to make dehydrated chips.
- Large potatoes
- Sea salt/rock salt if eating during fasting period
- Mandolin slicer / chopper
- Mixing bowl
For frying: Indian kadai / deep saucepan and a skimmer spoon.
How to make crispy potato chips at home?
1. Peel and slice the potatoes.
2. Cook the sliced potatoes for a few minutes in boiling water with salt and little alum
3.Drain the excess water
4.Transfer them to cool water in a large bowl so that the cooking is stopped. (optional)
5.Drain the excess water.
6.Let it dry in the sun or dehydrator. Once completely dry, store them in a air tight container.
7. Fry them in oil before serving. You can also air fry them in an air fryer.But with air fryer, its not that easy to get nicely cooked chips,deep frying dehydrated potato chips gives better results here.
More snacking recipes?
- Papad: They are an eternal part of our lunch menu. Whether u munch on it as masala papad, fried papad or just roasted. You will always love a papad.
- Baked sweet potato chips: Baked sweet potatoes make a fantastic toddler snack. They are a great combination for burgers shakes.
- Banana chips : who can stop at one?
- French fries : happy meal time!
- baked Sweet potato chips - Easy way to make instant sweet potato chips
You can also make crinkle chips or make these plain potato chips in an air fryer if you do not have a dehydrator.
If you like your food spicy, you may sprinkle some red chili powder on the chips after you fry them.
Store them in an air tight jar at room temperature. Fry whenever you wish to eat.
how to make dehydrated potato chips ? Get the homemade potato chips recipe below
Potato chips recipe
- 1 kg large potatoes
- 1 tablespoon sea salt/rock salt if eating during fasting period
- 1 small piece of phitkari/alum optional
- 2-3 litre of water
- Using mandolin slicer,thinly slice potatoes.
- Heat a pot with water,salt and alum
- Add the potato slices to water and boil them for 5 mins.
- Remove them from the water, transfer to a pot to cold water for few minutes
- Drain the excess water
- Spread them evenly in a dehydrator or spread it out in the Sun
- Dehydrate for 4-7 hours till crisp or 1-2 days in the sun.
- Store in a dry air-tight jar.
- Fry in hot oil whenever you wish to eat.
There is no change in taste even if you do not add alum while soaking.
If you are making this specially for fasting: use rock salt and pepper instead of normal salt and red chilly powder.
If you do not have dehydrator dry the chips in hot sun on a plastic sheet in balcony as done in the olden days. As explained in the article, choice of potato is important to get the bright white colored chips.
Yes, as you seen in the above recipe, you can either dry them in the Sun or make these in a dehydrator.
The Russet variety of potato chips seems to give the best results. Try for potatoes that are floury .