Rasgulla or royal rassogulla is a sweet, which tempts people of all ages.It brings out a smile on every soul. Rasgula is a small spongy ball of happiness. No one can resist the rasgullas. However small or big. You will rarely find someone who doesn't like them.
Rasgulla ingredients are fairly simple too. Sugar syrup and instant cottage cheese or premium quality chenna or soft paneer. Simple sweet yet with an amazing taste. You can make rasgulla recipe in pressure cooker .It can also be made in a heavy bottom pan. These rasgulla are one of my favorite sweet during Diwali and holi. Other holi recipes include Gujiya,vegan gujiya mango lassi recipe,Bread roll,Cornflakes chivda,Homemade thandai powder,kheer recipes & Nolen Gurer Rasogulla and not to forget the Homemade Holi colour
All Rasgulla recipes have a slight variation generally. Either with or without suji/semolina. When you make it without sooji, they are gluten-free. If you want to use white sugar you can use palm sugar or jaggery. One must try the palm jaggery recipe if they have not yet. Nolen gurer rassgulla has an earthy taste to it. There is also a mini or small rasgulla version which is called anguri rasgulla. Some people also add artificial colours to make different coloured juicy fluffy balls as a variation.
Nobin chandra das has the patent for Bengali rasgulla. 28-30 dec is celebrated as Rosogolla Utsob by state of Bengal.
Odisha and it dates back to 11th century. Rasagola day is celebrated on Niladri bije in July every year.
One must also mention the Oriya town Pahala, which lies on the outskirts of Bhubaneshwar.Pahala rasgulla is a must have in Odisha.
This place employs many villagers to make this sweet in hundreds. You can see 100s of shops just making Rassagullas.They are made all along both the sides of the roads and yes you cannot stop at just one.Its a heaven for 'Rasogulla' lovers.
Why diabetics and calorie conscious love Rassogulla?
I must say inventor did a big favor to all the people who love sweets and yet want to control their calories.
I have seen diabetics squeeze the maximum syrup. They get the same contentment of having sweets, as much as normal fit foodies. My Grandpa would do it and I picked up this habit to eliminate extra sugar syrup.Ras goola with or without the extra syrup is still sweet.I also do it now in honor of his memory.
- full fat milk
- vinegar or lemon juice
refer to recipe card for details.
How to make Rasgulla ?
Step by step pictures of the Rasagulla
1. Heat milk in a pot, once it has boiled, turn off the heat. Allow to cool for 5 mins . Add lemon juice/vinegar slowly to the hot milk to make fresh paneer/chenna.
2. Drain the excess water from the cheese.
3. Take the cheese out from the cheese cloth.
4. Start kneading/mashing the cheese.
5. Continue kneading until soft and it starts coming together.
6. Divide into small portions and mash them separately.
7. Shape them into smooth round balls. They should be very smooth else it will break when put in boiling chashni/sugar syrup.
8. Meanwhile, heat sugar syrup in a pot. Add the cheeseballs, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Serve cold once done.
Rassogulla | Rasgulla recipe
- 1 ½ liter full fat milk
- 2 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice
- 400 gms 2 cups sugar
- Boil the milk and keep this aside for 5 minutes, so that it cools a little.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of lemon juice/vinegar with 2 tbsp. water and slowly add to the milk as it starts to coagulate. Add more lemon juice to the milk until the cheese and the water is clearly separated.
- Strain coagulated milk in a muslin cloth. Drain it in a utensil beneath the sieve. This will separate chhena or cottage cheese.
- Pour a cup of cold water on the cheese to remove any bitterness residue of lemon.
- Allow the excess water to drain from the the cheese,remove the cheese from the cloth.
- Mash for 10-15 minutes till you can get a smooth texture.
- Divide it into small parts and roll it into small 12 balls of same size.
- Add 3-4 cups of water to sugar and let it boil in a pot
- Add 2 tablespoon milk to the syrup to remove any impurity of sugar(if impurity exists)
- When the syrup is boiling, add the balls one by one ,cover & cook it on medium flame for 4-5 minutes .
- Open the lid and just move the cheese balls in the center of liquid.
- Keep the lid closed and let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and do not lift the lid for atleast further 10-15 minutes
- Transfer the contents to a serving bowl.
- Let it cool further in the refrigerator for a minimum of 5-6 hours.
You can use jaggery or palm sugar instead of raw sugar to make Nolen gurer rassgulla.
Store it in refrigerator for 3-4 days
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Conclusion: chhappan bhog can never be complete without these juicy rassogulla. This healthy dessert option is also gluten-free and without dry fruits so can be eaten by even people with allergies. Soft texture of this sweet ensures even kids and old aged people can enjoy something sweet.