Rasgulla is a syrupy dessert. It is immensely popular in India. Sugar free Chenna Rasgulla is jaggery based rassogulla. Bengalis also call it Nolen Gurer Rasogulla. We soak soft cottage cheese balls in light sugar syrup overnight for best results.
What is Nolen gur?
Jhola gur or Nolen gur is the new jaggery. It is extracted from date palm trees. Nolen gurer recipes have an earthen feel to it. All sweets are slightly brown in color as it uses natural sugar. Nolen gurer payesh, gurer kachagolla, sandesh and raskadam are other recipes. I love using natural sugar for sweets instead of white sugar.
One place which deserves special mention is Pahala. It is near Bhubaneshwar, Odisha. It is just outside the main city and they make sweets exclusively. You can also sit down and have a cup of tea while your order is packed. Most drivers going inter-city take a halt there to enjoy these delicacies. Chenna pudo and Chenna jhili are a bonus to taste. Most sweets are made with paneer or cottage cheese and sugar.
It is a must visit for a foodie. This place has stalls along both sides of the road. You will never see so many sweets on a highway. There are many other sweets which can be made from the same.
Read the recipe of Nolen Gurer Rasogulla
Nolen Gurer Rasogulla
- 1 ½ liter full fat milk
- 2 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice
- 250 gm palm/coconut sugar
- Boil the milk and keep this aside for 5 minutes, so that it cools a little.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of lemon juice/vinegar with ¼ cup water and slowly add to the milk as it starts to coagulate. Add more lemon juice to the milk until the cheese and the water is clearly separated.
- Strain coagulated milk in a muslin cloth. Drain it in a utensil beneath the sieve. This will separate chena or cottage cheese.
- Pour a cup of cold water on the cheese to remove any bitterness residue of lemon.
- Add 4-5 cups of water to palm sugar and let it boil in a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 tbsp milk to the syrup to remove any impurity of palm sugar. Continue this process until a clear base with light orange color is visible. You may also add around ½ cup of milk to the sugar mixture and pressure cook with 1 whistle, this will speed up the purification process.
- Mash the cheese in plate for 4-5 minutes until smooth.
- Roll cheese into small 10-12 balls of same size.
- When the syrup is boiling, add the balls one by one and pressure cook it on medium flame. Reduce the flame and cook for 7-8 minutes after 1 whistle.
- Keep the cooker in cold water so that the steam cools down.
- Transfer the contents to a serving bowl.
- Let it cool further in the refrigerator for a minimum of 5-6 hours if you want to serve it cold.
Want to try more chenna recipes?
Click here to see more sweet recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.