Chana jor garam is a yummy namkeen. So many people love it my family included. Black chickpeas are usually eaten as a curry or as navratri prasad kale chane. However,this recipe is just as great if you want a power packed snack with your evening tea. Spicy fried protein full of flavor and crunch. You can have it as it is or add some onions and tomatoes to it with some lemon. Make a chaat out of it. However, the only thing which makes you limit this namkeen is that it is fried. So here is a recipe which you will love as it is baked and not fried. Baked chana jor garam recipe is definitely for keeps. Roasted chana jor garam is definitely taking the extra calories away.
Baking still gets you the crunch. You just need to store it in an air-tight jar. Enjoy without the oil and its calories. Plus no guilt!
So, don't worry and enjoy this snack as it is or with some murmura or puffed rice.
- Air fryer/ fan forced oven
- Pressure cooker/Instant pot for boiling chickpeas
- Black chickpeas /tyson chickpeas soaked overnight or white chickpeas
- Salt and spices as per taste (spices include Red chilli powder,Amchur and salt,you can use chat masala as well)
- For making chaat:
- Onion finely chopped
- Tomato chopped
- Lemon juice
- Green chilly chopped
- Coriander for garnish
How to make chana jor garam in oven?
- Boil chickpeas with salt.
- Press them with a rolling pin after covering with baking sheet.
- Press it until they flatten completely.
- In a baking tray, add all the chickpeas and spray it with oil.
- Pre-heat oven for 10 mins. Bake it in a fan forced oven at 160 deg C for 18-20 mins.
- Store it in an air tight container.
How to make chana jor garam in air fryer ?
- Flatten the chickpeas as shown above. Spray with oil and move them into an air fryer basket.We have used the white chickpeas instead of black chickpeas here.
- Preheat air fryer for 5 mins at 180 deg C. Air fry at 180 deg C for 10-12 mins(or until crisp).Spray oil once during the cook.
- Once done, toss the chana jor garam with spices, store in an air tight container
How to make Chana jor garam chat ?
Toss booked or air fried chana jor garam with freshly cut onion,tomato,coriander and lemon juice. Serve immediately.
The popularity of this chana jor garam street food can be judged by the fact that there is a very famous track , Chana jor garam babu mai layii mazedar..on it. When legendary singers like Mohd. Rafi and Lata sing a song about it, you will be hooked for sure if you aren't already. So sing the song, while it bakes in your oven.
You can make a chaat by adding chopped tomato,onion and lemon juice. Add chopped cucumbers if you like.
Store it in an air tight container.
baked chana jor garam recipe
- air fryer/ fan forced oven
- pressure cooker/ instant pot
- 1 cup black chickpeas soaked overnight , or white chickpeas
- 2 teaspoon Salt for boiling chickpeas
- Oil spray/1 tablespoon oil
- Amchur,Red chilli powder,Salt as per taste or just use the chat masala mix.
chana chor garam chat
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 green chilly chopped
- Coriander for garnish
For chana jor garam
- Pressure cook the chickpeas with little salt and 2-3 cups of water for 2 whistles or until soft.
- Once they are cool, place few chickpeas between baking sheet/butter paper.
- Press few of them with a flat pan/plate.
- Transfer them to baking tray,toss them with 1 tablespoon oil or use an oil spray.
- Bake them in a oven at 160 C for 15-20 minutes.
For air fryer version
- Flatten the chickpeas once cooked. Spray with oil and move them into an air fryer basket.Do not overcrowd,you may need to cook in multiple batches
- Preheat air fryer for 5 mins at 180 deg C.Air fry at 180 deg C for 10-12 mins(or until crisp).Spray oil twice during the cook.
- Once done, toss the chana jor garam with spices,store in an air tight container
To make chaat
- Toss the flattened chickpeas with remaining ingredients to make a nice and healthy chat/snack.
- Serve immediately.
Looking for more chana recipes?
Yes, as it is full of protein & fiber.
Yes it improves digestion & blood sugar levels.