We all love bread. Soup and some rustic bread is practically my dinner these days. Baking some homemade buns give me so much pleasure on the weekend. One such recipe is Tutti frutti bread .This dried fruit bread recipe is a yummy treat. You can have it with butter or just as it is. Fruit bread or fruit buns are a treat which is dear to kids and adults alike. This eggless tutti fruitti bread recipe vanishes in minutes. Although we have used plain flour in this recipe to keep the bread white as per the traditional recipe, we have added some flax seeds to it so that the nutrient quotient improves.
With or without tea, it is great for a snack. Tutti frutti,fruit peels or colourful dried papaya bits take baking to the next level. You can make a cake, biscotti, or yummy ice cream too. We love baking with them. I always, end up eating them raw too, while baking with them.
my tutti frutti bread memories
Bread or pav has been an integral part of Mumbai culture. Countless cups of Irani chai at Goodluck cafe and chatting with my best friend near Mt Mary. Ah what days! Down south, bakeries always served fresh food.I loved going to Iyengar bakeries. Best part was they were egg-less. Hot trays of Dilkhush buns or Dilpasand and patties lined small shops. Tutti frutti bread is special to so many!
My dad would always stop his car and get fresh bread for us from Brown bakery in those crispy brown paper.It still is one of my best food memories. Simple pleasures while growing up in the quaint coastal town of Vizag.
How to increase fiber in your homemade bread ?
There are a number of ways that can help increase the fiber content in homemade bread while using plain flour.
1.Use fiber rich flour such as whole-wheat flour/atta. In this case you may need to increase the quantity of yeast by 20% and use a bit more water/oil as this flour is a bit heaver than plain flour.
2. Add additional additives such as flax seed meal or wheat bran. 1 cup of plain flour contains around 3.4 gms of fiber compared to 11 gms in 1 cup of whole meal flour. 1 tbsp. of flax seeds contains around 2 gms of fiber. So an addition of 3 tbsp. of flax seeds to plain flour can help you get similar fiber content as whole meal flour.
3.Use a combination of above 2 as done in the below recipe.
- loaf tin
- 3 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp. flax seeds powdered with ½ cup warm water
- 3 tsp yeast in ½ cup water +1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ to ¾ cup water to knead the dough
- 1.5 tsp salt
- ½ cup tutti frutti
1. Mix yeast with warm water and sugar. Let it rise.
2. Mix flax seeds with water.
3. Add flax seeds to yeast and add flour to it.
4. Now add remaining other ingredients(except tutti frutti) to knead into a dough.
5. Let it rise for 40-45 minutes.
6. Add tutti frutti ,punch down the dough and knead again for few seconds.
7. Let it rise in a loaf tin.
8. Bake in an oven. Let it rest for 1 hour or until cools to room temperature. Slice it and serve with butter/jam.
You can also make small dilpasand buns out of it if you want it as a snack for bento box. You can also add some chopped nuts to it to make a dried fruit and nut bread recipe.
You can also use an airfryer to make this bread. Just remember it is a mini oven so needs 30% lesser cook time.If you are particular you may use 50% wholemeal flour with 50% plain flour for increased fibre. The bread however, will look more dense with this combination. You can also make healthy fruit bread recipes with purely wholewheat flour. The texture definitely varies but it is better for kids who love every bite of this treat.
Store it in refrigerator for 5-7 days. Reheat before consumption
Eggless tutti frutti bread recipe
- loaf tin
- Mix the flax seed meal with warm water and keep it aside.
- Add sugar to lukewarm water, mix until it dissolves. Add yeast to sugar water, so that it activates. This will make the mix frothy and activate in 15 minutes.
- Add this yeast and flax seed mix to the flour with salt.
- Start mixing the dough while adding the remaining water.The dough needs to be a little wet and sticky, this will help the bread to rise and come out with a soft texture.
- Knead the dough, this will be sticky at the start, Add oil to remaining ingredients. Keep it aside for 60 minutes to rise.
- Once it has doubled, add tutti frutti punch it down and knead it again.
- Using oiled hands,and arrange it in an oiled bread loaf tin .
- Cover it and let it rest for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees(fan forced) for 10 minutes.
- Bake the bread for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees. Check the readiness, by knocking on the top of the bread, if it sounds hollow then it is ready.
- Let it cool down for 10-15 mins and take it out of the load tin.
- Let is rest on a wire rack.Serve fresh with butter /fruit preserve/jam.
Generally made with papaya or watermelon rind bits.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation while cooking.